PDA

View Full Version : Thermometers

sprinkles
05-08-2013, 12:28 PM
I need a fridge thermometer and also one for testing food temps. Where did you all get yours?

Also need one for the little ones - do you all use in ear ones?

Daisy1956
05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
I got mine from amazon . Quick delivery as well. Look around though big difference in price one seller to another.

tulip0803
05-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I got mine from ebay

sprinkles
05-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Is it separate ones for food and fridge? Stupid question I know but I like to check lol

tulip0803
05-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Is it separate ones for food and fridge? Stupid question I know but I like to check lol

Yes I have a fridge/freezer thermometer in each of them.

and then I have a food probe for food (although I have used it to tell the ambient temperature when it was very hot/cold too:blush:)

Bambini2
05-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Lakeland do good thermometers for testing the temperature of cooked food.

sprinkles
05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Yes I have a fridge/freezer thermometer in each of them.

and then I have a food probe for food (although I have used it to tell the ambient temperature when it was very hot/cold too:blush:)

Thanks. My environmental health officer said I should be able to get a decent probe thermometer for food which can also be used to test the fridge? I can't seem to find one though.

Tazmin68
05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
The one I use for cooked foods was from Lakeland. I have two one in fridge and also in freezer. The fridge one stands in a cup of water as that is the true reading. For ill children I have one which you put behind the ear so that way I am not using an ear on and having to keep buying probe covers.

unalindura77
05-08-2013, 01:14 PM
On our First Aid course the instructor recommended a Laser thermometer that only Boots sell, the NHS uses it. It does room, food and body temps. With use for children you hold it 2-3 cms away and scan their head and the reading comes up.

Obviously not for fridges etc :D

skatie
05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Good advice as I also need to buy a fridge thermometer, out of interest how often do you take the fridge temp recording and where you you record it?

Tazmin68
05-08-2013, 01:23 PM
You are supposed to check the fridge twice a day and the freezer once a day. I did used to write it down and record it but now i only record it if it is out of range.

maisiemog
05-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I use my food one for the fridge as well. I was told the important thing was the temp of the food in the fridge not the air as that changes every time you open the door. I now keep a small bottle of water in the top of my fridge as that's the hottest part and put my probe in that to take the temperature. Got my thermometer off eBay.

sprinkles
05-08-2013, 01:39 PM
The one I use for cooked foods was from Lakeland. I have two one in fridge and also in freezer. The fridge one stands in a cup of water as that is the true reading. For ill children I have one which you put behind the ear so that way I am not using an ear on and having to keep buying probe covers.

Where did you get your behind the ear one?

sprinkles
05-08-2013, 01:40 PM
I use my food one for the fridge as well. I was told the important thing was the temp of the food in the fridge not the air as that changes every time you open the door. I now keep a small bottle of water in the top of my fridge as that's the hottest part and put my probe in that to take the temperature. Got my thermometer off eBay.

Ooh, do you know the make etc? This is what in looking for.

Little miss
05-08-2013, 02:47 PM
What should the temperatures be for each please?

sprinkles
05-08-2013, 03:33 PM
What should the temperatures be for each please?

Fridge below 5C and high risk food (meat, dairy or fish based) over 75C or 80C.

karen m
06-08-2013, 09:22 AM
I got mine from local resource centre