PDA

View Full Version : Would you be put off by a young childminder?

SteffiM
04-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi all i'm new to this. I've been an observer for a while and thought i'd finally come and say hello. I'm currently a nursery nurse but i'm looking in to doing something slightly different so have been thinking about childminding. My question is would you be put off taking your LO's to a childminder who is young. I'm 21 but i have 5 years experience, 6 months in a school, 6 months in a maintained nursery, 6 months in a daycare ( all 3 of these were part time work placements) and then i have worked for the 3 and half years in a private nursery and am currently 3rd in Charge. I understand some parents could be put of due to my age but i'm hoping this could work to my advantage too maybe, and would you think differently after hearing my experience? So basically looking for opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Rick
04-08-2013, 08:53 PM
I don't think it matters how old you are. Parents will be more concerned that you will take good care of their children. And yes some parents may see youth as an advantage :thumbsup:

Supernanny86
04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm not a childminder I'm a nanny, but my family im with now chose me (26yrs old) to look after their year old twins over someone who is 10 years older. I don't think age should factor in, surely it's more to do with whether they think you're suitable for their child/ren or not??!

Good luck, :) x

Mouse
04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
I don't think age comes into it.

Experience is a huge advantage if you're young or have no children of your own (not sure if you have) and it sounds as if you've got loads of that!

sing-low
04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Agreed. Experience (which you have) and who you are/how you relate to the children is more important than age. It may put some parents off but then there will be others who see it as an advantage but that is true of anyone whether old/young, male/female etc. A friend of mine always told me to 'play to your strengths' so emphasise your energy and enthusiasm for your work.

The Juggler
04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
well I'll be honest, as a mum in my thirties I might have been put off by a childminder younger than me. However, what would have decided me would have been how knowlegeable and confident that childminder was at the meeting. I went from a CM with a big house to a CM with a teeny flat - but I was so confident she would give my kids what they needed indoor and outdoor from what she said to me and how she was with kids.

You blow them away and talk and talk about what you do and what you know and you won't have any problems :thumbsup::thumbsup:

SteffiM
04-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Thank you guys. I always worry about that as I work in a nursery and I know some people may be put off as there a lot of young girls (stereotypically) in private nurseries these days as they get away with paying them minimum wage. My nursery was sold last year to a man who decided pretty much straight away I need to get some older staff as it may put people off. We only have 3 out of 13 staff over 30. A lot of older people seem to have gone into the childminding or teaching assistant/ teacher routes, as I suppose they fit into routines when they children and such better. (This isn't always the case it's just a presumption to be honest). No haven't any children of my own but then again this can be another positive! Thanks for the replies! Xx

Daisy De
05-08-2013, 06:41 AM
I think its possible people would be put off by a younger childminder but, on the other hand, I am 50 and I wonder whether it also works the other way that parents think I might be getting too old to be as active or up with the times as a younger person, who knows what parents think :panic:

In your individual case you have so much experience I doubt people would be concerned about your age.

clareelizabeth1
05-08-2013, 06:44 AM
I was 20 when I started. I found it was more about if you clicked with someone than my age.

munch149
05-08-2013, 06:53 AM
I was 24 when I started with no children. Don't think it affected me as like you I had the experience. I was younger than all the childrens
Mums and noone seemed bothered. I had loads of things against me including having a dog, being preganant at one stage, moving house and have still always managed to get children. I've had people visit and not sign up but most people have had this it just depends on what the parent is looking for.

Rachel23
05-08-2013, 07:34 AM
I have just turned 23, I was 21 at registration, I haven't had any experience from parents being reluctant about my age. As long as you are good at what you do and are confident in providing the best possible care for the children what does your age matter. I am younger than all my parents but have a fantastic relationship with them all, my oldest mindee is 12 and mum loves that I am younger as the child has said she feels like I can relate to her give her advise and most of all I don't treat her like a little child- like she has felt in the past. I too have experience from working in nurseries and schools and its your experience and attitude towards the parents children and the job it's self that matters.
Xx

SteffiM
05-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Thank you everyone you have really helped. X