PDA

View Full Version : new puppy

jashol
04-08-2013, 10:34 AM
We have added a lovely new addition to our family a puppy asked all parents first they were all excited and gave us the go a head . What do I need to as RA and do I need to place a policy which parents need to sign ect thank you in advance

Bumble Beez
04-08-2013, 10:47 AM
When we got our new pup...I wrote to Ofsted to make them aware of the change, put in writing to all parents about the decision that we had made and put together a simple risk assessment and updated our pet policy...
Risk assessment included water and food bowls, not leaving children unattended with pup and the hygiene side too such as cleaning the floors and keeping the children's garden area separate to pup.
This was five years ago now but I have paperwork that I can email over if needed...pm me if you like :)

Sarah x

adedwards68
04-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Yes an RA, a policy. If parents have signed to agree to your policy then that should cover you

Rachel6
04-08-2013, 11:25 AM
I also include in my RA that the animals are flead & wormed every six weeks & I write in my animals vets notes so any parents & ousted can look x

kimnolan87
04-08-2013, 07:44 PM
We have two dogs - recently a new puppy.....have risk assessed but never asked for parents written permission....something I need to do ASAP then!

Also, do Ofsted need to be aware of the fact we now have two dogs?? Xxx

Bumble Beez
05-08-2013, 04:17 AM
We have two dogs - recently a new puppy.....have risk assessed but never asked for parents written permission....something I need to do ASAP then!

Also, do Ofsted need to be aware of the fact we now have two dogs?? Xxx

I made sure parents were made aware of the fact we were getting a new pup...plus it meant that if anyone had any concerns I could address them straight away.
Ofsted got a letter stating that following the decision to get a new pup, I had spoken to all my current families, risk assessed and was simply making them aware in order to keep them up to date :D I also offered to send them a copy of the RA but it was never asked for!

Sarah x

Daisy De
05-08-2013, 06:06 AM
I have two dogs, two cats and I have to say it never occurred to me to inform Ofsted. I have been inspected twice since having them all and Mrs O did look at all my paperwork but there was never a problem even though I could, at my last inspection, tell that cats were not her thing!

I have permission from parents to allow their children to be around the animals (they have free run of house and garden) and also for us to take them out for a walk. I have a risk assessment for pets and one for taking them for a walk, pet policy and an individual sheet for each animal where I note down their flea and worm treatment, vet visits and anything else relevant. I don't separate my garden and have water bowls down for them, I was ready to defend my decision on how they are fully part of the setting but never had to. :)