PDA

View Full Version : Home visits

mpullen17387
03-08-2013, 09:31 PM
When I had my inspection on Tuesday, she asked me what I thought of visiting children in their homes as part of the settling in period.. Just wandered if anyone else does this or if the lo and parents come to you first xxx

FussyElmo
03-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Nice in practise however in reality.

I understand why some childminders will go and finish the paperwork off in their homes. But settling in what happens if you have other children?

sarah707
04-08-2013, 07:35 AM
I would do it if requested for, say, a disabled parent. I would give all the details to my partner - actually he would probably wait outside!!

The most important thing is to put our own personal safety first!

I might meet parents at a busy toddler group or even a coffee shop but you don't know what you are walking into if you go to a new family's house do you?

You are on your own as well - it's not like when a child is starting school and 2 teachers go on a pre-planned home visit after meeting parents, receiving induction forms etc first. We are lone workers.

Not a very safe question to ask really. I would question its validity if an inspector asked it of me :(

mpullen17387
04-08-2013, 08:21 AM
She just said that have I considered it as a lot of childminders are now doing it, my response was I don't think I would as I would be going on my own and don't think I would feel comfortable with it.

linzi133
04-08-2013, 09:19 AM
I have done it for one family. The child had several disabilities and their carer has not long had a stroke and didn't drive. I was asked to provide respite by portage and social services. Because I have a very good relationship with portage I knew it was safe for me to do a home visit without much risk assessing.
Having said that it wouldn't be something I offer to do routinely just if it was majorly beneficial for the child.

blue bear
04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I do home visits,but then I live in a close community where everyone knows everyone else's business. They are not always part of the initial settling in session though, it really depends on the family, some don't want them, for some it's more me going round their house to drop something off I've forgotten to put in the bag and end up getting invited in for a coffee.
I do find them useful, a real eye opener to how things are at home and easier to judge if I need to put in place any extra support. So if there are literally no books or toys in the house I might source some through the children's centre and send home busy bags for the child to loan and play with parent.

adedwards68
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I've done it once. The mother of the child was disabled and couldn't get out so dad asked if I could go to their house so mum could meet me. Would only do it for these type of reasons

*daisychain*
04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
I go on the seconds eying to fill out all the paper work. The parents are more comfortable in their own home to ask any questions. I think it's comforting for the children to see me on their home too , and it gives me an opportunity to get an overall picture of the family .My hubby always drops me off d collects me for safety reasons .

Sweetpea
05-08-2013, 08:47 AM
I go to their houses to complete the contracts on an evening when the children are in bed.

This gives me an insight into their house plus a chance to chat without the children.

I've usually already met them a couple of times by then so have got to know them enough to visit their house

Rachel6
05-08-2013, 08:52 AM
I also go to the childrens house after they have been to mine a few times. I also go in the evening to fill in paperwork when the children are in bed :-)

hectors house
05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Have done it a couple of times - once I took a couple of children with me to complete a contract for with a single mum and another time I popped some forms round "All about me form, child record form etc" as the mum had left them behind after she came to visit to complete contract - I must admit I never thought to be worried about my own safety, but I used to do Usborne books and Avon cosmetics many years ago so was used to calling on strangers!