PDA

View Full Version : not sure on this one

kims kingdom
03-08-2013, 03:11 PM
So got a phone call for childcare recommended by my first mindees mum which is great the mum had gone for a job inteeview and would need care from sept which fits in perfect as my two will be at school.
This is what was said on first call when I phoned her back later that day as when she first phoned I was at a indoor play area.
So she had then said she had been offered a different job which she wanted so would need care from end of august so I said yes thats fine we arranged for her to come round mon anyway today she text to say I havent got the job the second one which I was confused as she said she had def been offered that and could we rearrange to thursday as she would find out bout the job which she went for the interview on mon.
Sorry if this sounds confusing
So to me this is strange if she doesnt get the job then surely she won't need me so shes arranging to come and see me thur but mon she might be told she hasnt got the job?
I text to say let me know if anything changes
Do u think I should give her a text on mon to ask bout job or wait for her to contact me I hate not knowing.
And one quick question does anyone else feel bad for charging parents for our hol and they hol just im doing a new contract for my parent soon as shes wanting more hrs and would be easier at min I just charge 70% the amount she gets from gov but now found out she only gets50% of childcare paid so should I do new contract for 50% and advice please do others charge normal rate for each others hol?
Thanks x

sarah707
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
She is obviously actively looking for employment and wants to see you - so I'd go with it if I were you and have a chat with her.

You should have a written fees policy with everything set out clearly... what do other childminders do in your local area? Around here we don't charge for our holidays - but I know they do in some parts of the country.

Hth :D

kims kingdom
03-08-2013, 04:14 PM
She is obviously actively looking for employment and wants to see you - so I'd go with it if I were you and have a chat with her.

You should have a written fees policy with everything set out clearly... what do other childminders do in your local area? Around here we don't charge for our holidays - but I know they do in some parts of the country.

Hth :D

Well I know when I used a cm a few yrs ago she didnt charge for either mine or hers then got changed to fee was half my next cm charged for her hol and mine and once charged me a ful hr when she only had her or 20min.
Anyway ill look at my policy as can't remember what has been written down I don't want to lose out but don't want to feel like im ripping people off aswell.
Thanks sarah for reply x

lilac_dragon
03-08-2013, 05:50 PM
I'd go ahead and meet, if she doesn't get one job she might get another and at least you both get to have an idea of if this is going to work or not.

I don't charge for my own hols (not that I can remember when I last had one) and I don't charge if I'm off sick either, but I do charge full amount for Parents hols or if child is sick and stays home.

Rachel23
03-08-2013, 06:03 PM
I would also go ahead and meet her, she is clearly seeking employment and will (hopefully) require childcare at some point. If she doesn't get the job she is waiting to hear back from you could either offer her a retainer to keep a place until she gets a job or simply say your happy to take on the child once she is ready as long as you have a space for her.

With regards to holidays I don't charge if I don't work- sickness, holidays or bank holidays. I charge 50% fee if the child is on holiday and I have been given notice- I ask and give 4 weeks notice in my contract for all holidays. But I charge full fee if the child is off ill as I am unable to fill their place with short notice
X

adedwards68
04-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Yes meet up with her but explain that you can't keep a vacancy open until she has signed the contract. All my parents pay the same fee regardless of hours and if they get any help with the payments. I charge for all parents time off but nothing for my hols, BH, illness. The only exception to this is kids I have term time only

Bumble Beez
04-08-2013, 11:02 AM
A year or so ago I had a family visit and mum had an interview the following week...she signed up for 5 days a week as she didn't know what she would need until after her interview and I took her on...although my thinking at the time was it was a little strange.
6 weeks later she was offered a job for 3 and half days a week...so childcare was already sorted for her and four weeks later we changed the contract for four days instead of five.
Some parents like to be organised!!
Go with it and chat with her anyway...if she wants to use you then she'll put a deposit down anyway x

Sarah x

kims kingdom
04-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks everyone so nice to beable to get advice quickly from here.
Well I may give her a text tomorroe asking if she got job ill try and put it so im not being blunt I don't want to be messed around as just had a bad experience so wait and see I guess.
And find out thursday
Thanks x