PDA

View Full Version : How would you do this?

EmmaReed84
01-08-2013, 09:26 PM
I am thinking about possibly renting a property to run my "childminding" business from... I would like to hire an assistant and the property (Two bedroom bungalow with large garden) would be purely for childminding. Am I correct in thinking it would still be classed as childminding and not anything else?

Also am I right in thinking I can hire up to two assistants to still be in that category. I have been doing some maths and really think this could work financially, but just need to know if it is allowed.

Any advice?

Ideally I would like to do this, for a few years while I look in to further study.

shortstuff
01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
I am thinking about possibly renting a property to run my "childminding" business from... I would like to hire an assistant and the property (Two bedroom bungalow with large garden) would be purely for childminding. Am I correct in thinking it would still be classed as childminding and not anything else?

Also am I right in thinking I can hire up to two assistants to still be in that category. I have been doing some maths and really think this could work financially, but just need to know if it is allowed.

Any advice?

Ideally I would like to do this, for a few years while I look in to further study.

Im not sure on where you would stand doing that as the rental would be commercial-ish.

Im sure someone will have the answers for you though x

Kiddleywinks
01-08-2013, 09:33 PM
I have a feeling you have to actually live in the property, if you don't, then it's a different classification.

I'm sure there was another discussion about this recently (I'll see if I can find the link in the morning as I'm off to bed ;))

FussyElmo
01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
How much rent would it cost you? Just thinking with 2 assistants, rent, all the utilities, insurances would you earn much than you do now.

Also if you used only for childminding would you move into business rates etc.

AgentTink
01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I believe kiddywinks is correct, you actually have to live in the property.

I personally would not put myself into this financial situation as we all know how unreliable childminding can be. i think this sort of decision would take alot of planning and for you to already have all your spaces full and have a waiting list/lots of enquiries that you can not accomodate.

Dont forget that planning implications may be a problem depending on the number of kids you would have.

There is also all the bills on top of rent, such as council tax, electric, gas etc.

Also how would you manage your own children would they be picked up from school by you and then brought to this rented property until you finish work?

Can you not just take a assistant on in your own home?

Mouse
01-08-2013, 09:46 PM
This is how Ofsted defines each category:

Childcare on domestic premises: a group of four or more people working with children in someone’s home.

Childcare on non-domestic premises: a person or organisation providing care on premises that are not someone’s home, such as a purpose-built nursery, or a village hall. This provision covers private nurseries, playgroups and after-school clubs.

Home childcarer: home childcarers care for children from birth up to the age of 18 at the home of one of the children. The children must be from no more than two families at any one time. Nannies and au pairs are the most common examples of home childcare.

Childminder: childminders on the Early Years Register provide care for one or more children aged between birth and five, to whom they are not related, for reward in someone’s home – usually their own;
childminders on the Childcare Register provide care for one or more children aged between five and eight, or from eight to 18, in someone’s home – usually their own.

EmmaReed84
01-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I believe kiddywinks is correct, you actually have to live in the property.

I personally would not put myself into this financial situation as we all know how unreliable childminding can be. i think this sort of decision would take alot of planning and for you to already have all your spaces full and have a waiting list/lots of enquiries that you can not accomodate.

Dont forget that planning implications may be a problem depending on the number of kids you would have.

There is also all the bills on top of rent, such as council tax, electric, gas etc.

Also how would you manage your own children would they be picked up from school by you and then brought to this rented property until you finish work?

Can you not just take a assistant on in your own home?

I could, but I am not 100% sure on the space. I was told when I registered that I could have 4 (2 under) as I had two of my own. But now my youngest is over 5 and in December my eldest will be 8, I am not totally comfortable with taking on too many, in case I do not have the required space.

I know a CM who has a smallish house, and had an assistant and LOADS of children and I am sure that there is not the required amount of space per child that there should be.

I have a MASSIVE garden, I mean ridiculously big and we spend most of our time outside, but I know the space requirements is to do with inside space.

Kiddleywinks
02-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Emma - have you received your new certificate yet? The reason I ask is because as I understand it, with the new certificate the original restrictions no longer count, so you may be able to have the 6 under 8 as standard now as the space requirements have been removed - someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Mrsh3103
02-08-2013, 07:16 AM
I was under the impression that we still needed to go by space but ofsted no longer work it out for us we have to do it ourselves?

EmmaReed84
02-08-2013, 07:25 AM
I was under the impression that we still needed to go by space but ofsted no longer work it out for us we have to do it ourselves?

This is what I thought, otherwise you could technically hire an assistant, increase your numbers and all be packed in one room with no space to swing a cat!

I really only have enough room for 6 children, then there is myself, so 7 people all in one room...

FussyElmo
02-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Emma - have you received your new certificate yet? The reason I ask is because as I understand it, with the new certificate the original restrictions no longer count, so you may be able to have the 6 under 8 as standard now as the space requirements have been removed - someone please correct me if I'm wrong

It would be 5 under 8 because of her own 5 year old. The eight year old wouldn't count now :thumbsup:

jackie 7
02-08-2013, 08:21 AM
I know a Childmindr who has a house that shd minds from but does not live in it. She had an assistant living in it.

EmmaReed84
02-08-2013, 08:24 AM
It would be 5 under 8 because of her own 5 year old. The eight year old wouldn't count now :thumbsup:

Well, wont count from 19th Dec :thumbsup:

munch149
02-08-2013, 08:46 AM
I believe someone has I live in the house but doesn't have to be you and you can have no more than two assistants

Bumble Beez
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
This is an interesting thread as I have wanted to do this for a while...me and hubby have been considering looking for a second property to do up for me to mind from, but bonus being that we would then have a second property to our name and that can't be a bad thing...
But it does worry me that my entire income would probably go into the upkeep of the second property and I would have to be full all the time to make it viable...
Sill worth considering but can't see it happening for a while...unless someone would like to just buy me a little bungalow? I would be very grateful lol :)

Sarah x