PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME

Mrsh3103
31-07-2013, 05:01 PM
today I thought I was going to have an easy day only my ds 10months & 5yr mindee.
H turned up at 8:45 ds had gone back to bed for a nap (yes, he gets up so early he needs a nap by 9am).
We sat & made a birthday card for his cousin while ds slept. 9:30 ds wakes up & we got in the car & went to see my mums pigs & chickens. H played on the trampoline, tree house, swing & slide at mums until 12.
We got in the car & went to the park for a picnic, it chucked it down so we had a carnic instead :) H decided he wanted to play on the park even though it was wet so we put wellies & raincoats on. We had a brilliant time.
Came home H did junk modelling, played at water table, played with train set & drew some pics of the pigs for his mum.

I thought it was a pretty full day, I'm exhausted. Every 5 minutes throughout the day H said I'm bored can I go home yet? When his mum picked him up she asked him if he'd had fine he said "no I was really bored all day" I told mum what we've done, showed her pics if taken. She said, he gets bored really quickly you need to do more with him!!!!!!!!!!

So after reading that essay if you've made it this far please can you give me some ideas on what else I could possibly do. HELP

caz3007
31-07-2013, 05:05 PM
You have done plenty and I bet its way more than mum would have done with him if she was off. I am doing loads with my older mindies too and it exhausts me. The little ones seem to be able to free play much easier than my older ones do

littlemiss60561
31-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Cheek!! I'd say have a home day and literally Do nothing. Then see what they say next time you have a fun filled day!! It's typical I think for them to say they've done nothing, but for mum to say that, was not fair. I took mine to the farm and mum asked mindie what have you been up too.. She replied "nothing. Just went on a slide" erm.. Good job I take lots of photos! Mum laughed and knew she hadn't, but...

littlemiss60561
31-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Maybe this ones got mum wrapped lol

ktdg85
31-07-2013, 05:12 PM
I have one like that, yet he would sit in front of the TV all day and think it was a great day. Sounds like a great day to me!! Only thing I would suggest is asking him what he would like to do to make it a "fun" day and see what he thinks would be fun!!

shortstuff
31-07-2013, 05:14 PM
sounds to me like you did way more than most would, maybe mum needs a reality check?

madredann
31-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Maybe a day of doing nothing will teach him the value of what he actually does do x

charlottenash
31-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Know how u feel my son was at a sleepover last night and the 2 hours this morning with 3yo mindee were terrible I thought we'd have some good one on one time but he was bored silly!!

What does DS mean?

Bumble Beez
31-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Know how u feel my son was at a sleepover last night and the 2 hours this morning with 3yo mindee were terrible I thought we'd have some good one on one time but he was bored silly!!

What does DS mean?

Darling Son... :)

Sarah x

Bumble Beez
31-07-2013, 06:51 PM
I've got one who is always saying he's bored and wants to go home...I try to fill his day with loads of fun stuff but never seems to help!!
Maybe I'll try a TV day soon and see what he says then :)
However when mum arrives to collect he tells her that he's has a great day and reels off everything we had done...kids hey?!

Sarah x

miffy
31-07-2013, 06:57 PM
I'd have been fuming if mum had said that to me - cheeky (rude) woman!

Miffy xx

Helen79
31-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Do you think it's just his way of saying that he misses his mum and is checking when it's time he can go home.

I wouldn't be trying to do more with him, I'm exhausted just thinking about doing all that in one day! Maybe he's got a really short attention span at home and it's become a habit to keep saying it. Like when all mine say 'what?' even when I know they've heard me, they do it constantly all day and it just become habit after a while.
Do you think he might need time to switch off as well, sounds like he's really active all day. Saying he's bored might be his way of saying he needs time to relax with the tv for half hour.

Stapleton83
31-07-2013, 07:36 PM
If it was me I would be tempted to turn the question on its head and say if you are bored what would you like to do, alternatively ask his mum what they do in a day - I bet that would make interesting reading.

Poor you - little monkey and I agree his mum was rude!

Sam x

pipandbaz
31-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I feel your pain had near on exact comment as explained in the 'members only area' why o why do parents allow children to run the roost :-(

Mrsh3103
31-07-2013, 08:21 PM
I asked him what he wanted to do if he was bored (he was half way down the fire and pile at the park at the time) his reply..... Something less boring. Well that helped.

He doesn't watch tv. 5 mins & he's bored wanting something else to do. I normally have him for 2 hours max after school & my ds & other mindees want to sit & watch a bit of tv to wind down. Not him, he's demanding activities before I've even turned the key in the lock.
I'm shattered tonight! :(

The Juggler
31-07-2013, 09:02 PM
i would inform mum (politely of course (through gritted teeth) :laughing: ) that children do need to learn to entertain themselves with what is on offer as well as have structured activities. Inform her that is good for both their emotional and personal skills AND for their creative development which supports both literacy and maths skills at school :cool:

donna porter
01-08-2013, 05:32 AM
Do you think it's just his way of saying that he misses his mum and is checking when it's time he can go home.

I wouldn't be trying to do more with him, I'm exhausted just thinking about doing all that in one day! Maybe he's got a really short attention span at home and it's become a habit to keep saying it. Like when all mine say 'what?' even when I know they've heard me, they do it constantly all day and it just become habit after a while.
Do you think he might need time to switch off as well, sounds like he's really active all day. Saying he's bored might be his way of saying he needs time to relax with the tv for half hour.

I agree with Helen here. Although it sounds strange he might actually need a little down time. Mine get tv/games time in the afternoon when baby has a nap x

Mrsh3103
01-08-2013, 07:34 AM
He doesn't do 'down time'.

He'll play computer games for about 2 minutes before he's bored.
I really don't know what to do with him. He's not with me today but I've got it all over again tomorrow! I think I might scream if I hear the word bored one more time!!!!

Bumble Beez
01-08-2013, 07:47 AM
He doesn't do 'down time'.

He'll play computer games for about 2 minutes before he's bored.
I really don't know what to do with him. He's not with me today but I've got it all over again tomorrow! I think I might scream if I hear the word bored one more time!!!!

Is a 'bored' jar worth a go?
Get LO to tell you all the things he likes to do (and that are easy and simple to set up!)...write them on paper, cut out and fold them up...fill the jar with the activities and every time he says that dreaded word...get him to take out an activity to do and do that...he could even decorate the jar etc.
Might be worth a shot :)

FussyElmo
01-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Sounds like the lo hasn't learnt how to entertain himself and has activites planned for him all the time.

The bored jar is a good idea, so is a very long game of monopoly :)

But he does need to learn to enjoy having nothing planned so he gets to calm down and relaxes poor little things mind must be constant on the go :thumbsup:

jackie 7
01-08-2013, 09:29 AM
He really has not learned to play by himself. You must be so tired. Bored jar a great idea. You could ask him to write a list of what he wants to do and a list from mum of what he does all day. Good luck

Samijanec
01-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I think some kids just have a built in bored mode!! I have a four year old that is always bored. Does t matter what we do he is bored. I can't recall ever being bored as a child, anything would entertain me, my kids are the same, they always find something to entertain them..

Mrsh3103
01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
He really needs to learn to chill out. I spoke to his mum again this morning & she said he's always been like it & she doesn't know how to change it. She said she has started just saying tough if he complains of being bored.

Before the holidays I got all the schoolies to write a list of things they want to do over the holidays. His has got loads on but when we've done any of them he's BOOOORRRRREEEEEDDDDD.

This is my 1st summer minding & I'm seriously starting to think that next year I'll say no schoolies in holidays. This & the 8year old girl I mind are making every day impossible :(

donna porter
01-08-2013, 12:00 PM
The holidays are tough. I feel like all my older ones have done nothing but fight :-((((

blue bear
01-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Is it worth getting together with another minder who has school and chikdren do you think? Sometimes children need other children rather than adult one on one, it could be his friends from school he is missing

tulip0803
01-08-2013, 08:14 PM
At 5 my DD used to say that she had done nothing all day at school. I used to ask her if she had sat facing the wall and she would say yes!!!!

Very unfair of Mum to say that. Obviously child has short attention span and needs help to increase it OR they have got into the habit of saying I'm bored because they have learnt that they get rewarded - new toy, magazine, video etc. You did loads so don't beat yourself up

Bluebell
01-08-2013, 08:28 PM
oh dear - sounds like he needs a big project - like to make something - say if he was interested in cars to draw, design, find materials needed, make junk modeliing, painting - see if he can build up his attention span!!

I've got a 5 year old wants to do a million different things to be occupied. By 10.30 the other day I'd had a list of things that we had done over last summer - make gingerbread men, play this game ,play that game, make this make that go here do that - i'm glad he'd remembered what a good time he had on childminding days but found it a bit demanding. Unfortunately as hes my own son hes not so easy to talk out of being demanding cos its me and he's in his own home so he gets stroppy!
I think as well at school they are so busy - they have their friends and bounce ideas and conversation off each other, theres activities and challenges and lots of different resources and play areas.

I do find the older they get the more they expect to be entertained and are less inclined to be imaganitive and self reliant. although having said that my 8 year old has gone the other way and just disappears off to his room with his lego for hours!