PDA

View Full Version : Do i have to have everything in place before pre visit Ofsted

dottylotty
31-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Hello

I'm registering to be a childminder & didn't realise how much actually was involved & how much it costs.
Do I have to have all my certificates all ready done before the pre visit & am I missing anything? Any help or advise would be great.
Have so far done Cypop 5 , paediatric 1st aid, pre reg Webinar , Ofsted , just doing health declaration and done the new crbs (drbs?) Have got a fire blanket & some policies. Do I need to have insurance in place? Home & childminding ?and a food hygiene certificate?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm finding it hard to find out what I need & don't need. Oh & can I have a towel in downstairs toilet? Thank you

Rick
31-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Dottylotty and welcome.

Please have a look at this thread which should help you :thumbsup:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

moggy
31-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Most covered by the link above but also...

you asked:

Do I need to have insurance in place? No, not until you start minding or you'll be wasting your money as it may take you 6mths to get a mindee! You can list what insurances you will get, or check cover CMing, if you want to show Ofsted what you plan to do

food hygiene certificate? Check with your Local Authority as they might set an expectation. You do need to be registered with Env Health as a Food Provider and it is good to get the free 'Safer Food Better Business' folder from Food Standards Agency. It is not mentioned in EYFS and that is all Ofsted are interested in, but list what you plan to do and that shows good practice. It is good to do a course.

can I have a towel in downstairs toilet? Well, that is up to how you risk assess it. But what if a child with threadworm, or starting with a tummy bug, does not wash their hands thoroughly (as toddler/children tend to) and wipes pooy fingers on the towel? Would you want to use it next? I have a coloured flannel for each child, they know their colour and they are hung up by sink, changed daily. Some use papertowels but I do not like the waste. Or a pile of small flannels to use once and throw in a wash basket.

dottylotty
31-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Thank you so much for your replies. Was getting a little stressed earlier :-)

Bumble Beez
31-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Thank you so much for your replies. Was getting a little stressed earlier :-)

There is a lot to take in to begin with...but it will become easier, a lot easier in fact!
I find I just 'know' stuff these days...but it has taken time!
This forum is full of people who can help...or at least offer a little guidance or advice :)

Sarah x

dawntom
05-08-2013, 08:33 PM
its amazing what you don't think of. I wouldn't have even thought about using seperate towels to dry hands at home. I thought about face clothes, but just assumed i would use same towel and wash it daily to dry hands on. will have to rethink that :)