PDA

View Full Version : really worried im not going to get paid...

Npg1
31-07-2013, 03:48 PM
I tookon a new child a couple weeks ago and invoiced her the fees to be paid by today. Im worried she wont pay me as I know she doesnt earn alot and have got in a bit of a tiss about it.

I have taken a £150 deposit.

Bumble Beez
31-07-2013, 03:59 PM
To start with...you've taken a deposit so that's a good point...as you've got some money to fall back onto.
If fees aren't paid on time you can always refuse to provide childcare until they are...what's in your contract regarding payments? Do you take in advance or in arrears?
It can be hard when parents tell you that they're struggling to pay fees although the way I've had to look at it is that they have had the childcare service so they should pay the fees.

Sarah x

Bumble Beez
31-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Also if she's on a low wage, tax credits should be topping her childcare fees up anyway x so that should help if she's struggling.

Sarah x

FussyElmo
31-07-2013, 04:25 PM
As she said or given any indictation that she wont pay? Just because she is a on a low wage doesn't make her a bad payer. Also the fact she has paid you a deposit and not quibbled about it :)

supermumy
31-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Agree with above has she mentioned not having the money??
She should be getting some help if on a low wage :)
Hope she pays today for you

Tazmin68
31-07-2013, 04:53 PM
This where you have to put your business head on. I have been stung twice with no payers and I will not allow a parent to owe me any more than £50 now.

One was a short term contract for the summer holidays for two siblings attended day one parent said would pay me the nod of the day. I took them to safari park. On pick up parent said cashpoint was not working. Next day children did not turn up finally got a text message saying one child was not well then again did not turn up finally got a text message two days later saying that she had found childcare for all three children which I could only only have the third one to days a week which she was quite happy with. When I chased for childcare due was told try to take he to small claims court and I would not get anywhere. I since found out that she owed a nursery a 4 figure sum before disappearing. On a good note despite not getting any money both myself and nursery had to provide a statement to tax credits as they were going to chase them in the courts as the credits had not been passed to childcare providers.

The second one child just stopped turning up and never replied to messages. I ended up sending a letter recorded delivery. Eventually to ncma legal involved but as parents business had gone under which was why child had not tuned up I was told nit to bother with small claims court as I would be just another creditor so the 1 week I let go and 4 weeks notice I never got.

Npg1
31-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I agree, no she hasnt mentioned she wont pay. Guess im just worrying! Everyone else has paid me. She has until tonight to pay and if she doesnt then what do I do? I have in contract I will charge late fees per day

supermumy
31-07-2013, 05:45 PM
I agree, no she hasnt mentioned she wont pay. Guess im just worrying! Everyone else has paid me. She has until tonight to pay and if she doesnt then what do I do? I have in contract I will charge late fees per day

Have you got the child today?
Wait till Tomo and just mention no payment has paid and see what she says :)

Simona
31-07-2013, 06:50 PM
This problem comes up so often...I hope all gets solved and you get paid soon
£150 is not a huge deposit...does it cover 4 weeks which you are entitled to get and then refund at end of care?

It is worth looking at our contracts and 'update' them in time for September when changes come in
I am not an expert in this field but getting paid is the only way we can run our businesses and not have any cash flow problems and feeling valued for what we do.

So reflect on this:
make sure you get a 4 weeks deposit as soon as the contract is signed
the deposit should be paid before you start settling in
make sure you give the precise date the money should be in your account every month, including childcare vouchers, and how long before you will withdraw care: 3 days or so

when parents are late paying send a reminder via email...I just resend their invoice and put 'for your attention'..often emails get read and then forgotten at the bottom of the pile!

Good luck

miffy
31-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Hope your fears were unfounded and you've been paid

Miffy xx

Npg1
31-07-2013, 11:30 PM
No I dont have the child today. And still no payment :(

Npg1
31-07-2013, 11:45 PM
No payment still :( x

Bumble Beez
01-08-2013, 04:50 AM
That's not good...
Time to refuse childcare until its paid...this is the bit I don't like about what I do :(

Sarah x

Npg1
01-08-2013, 10:43 AM
She paid me today!

FizzWizz
01-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Yippee, glad it all worked out ok :-)