PDA

View Full Version : What is your ultimate goal?

EmmaReed84
31-07-2013, 02:04 PM
OK, so I have been thinking long and hard about my future and where it is heading. I do enjoy childminding, I love being around children and just being able to laugh like a maniac while rolling about on the floor getting attacked by 4 children!

But my brain needs more, I need goals to work to. I have ideas I want to see become reality. I would eventually like to perhaps, possibly, maybe... Have an Emma' Explorers Nursery in my town. I want to expand my business and eventually be in a position where I can take a step back, I don't think I want to still be childminding and doing the same thing for the next 40 years.7

What are your future plans? What is your ultimate goal? Do you think you can achieve it?

CLL
31-07-2013, 02:22 PM
We are planning to immigrate to Canada in the next 2 years, paperwork already started. Even though I love childminding I won't do it over there (you can have 5 children before you even need to register). I am planning to retrain (yet again) as an aeronautical engineer. Well that is the plan, I think I need a job for my brain!!

Mrs Scrubbit
31-07-2013, 02:42 PM
I won't do this now (too old now for changes!) but as I love making simple resources that help the little ones learn, if I had my time again I would perhaps look into this area in more depth (that or become an Heir Hunter!) xx

funemnx
31-07-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm 53 now and looking to retire at 60. I'm full to bursting and have an assistant. The ways things will go (I hope) is that all the children currently in my care will be in school or playschool within the next 3 years. I won't be taking any more children on (unless for siblings) so will be only offering wrap around care at some point. I've been busy doing this job for years and really need some kind of break, I'm exhausted.

There is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Tazmin68
31-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Well my ds2 is just about to go into year 1 and i would like to stop when he changes schools so that is 6 years mortgage finishes in 8 it would be nice if could finish that around same time. I will be 51 then. Perhaps then by just doing before and after school look into teaching assistant course as i looked at them now but would have been two/three days college and rest placement so could not do it as i still need to mmake a living

Bumble Beez
31-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Oh Emma I've been backwards and forward for the past few years about what to do...I've worked with assistants and its been great, I've worked alone and enjoy that too...but would love to open a nursery or something similar and take more of a back seat.
Although saying that, I found that when I was working with my assistants I felt that I should be doing all the jobs and found it very hard to delegate anything!! So being a manager of a setting may not be the best idea lol :D
I've also toyed with the idea of minding from a separate premises...childcare on domestic premises and opening a private pre-school...however nothing else seems to fit quite as well as minding at the moment.
Could all change tho as my littlest starts full time school in September and I may feel like a change :)

You sound like you're reading from the same life goal page as me Emma ;)

Sarah x

lilac_dragon
31-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Would love to run Adventure Activity camps for kids alongside a Forest School - but need to win the Lottery to do it.

loocyloo
31-07-2013, 04:51 PM
I don't know!

sometimes I think i'd like to work in a school, or run my own nursery, but I love the spontaneity of childminding and I just wouldn't be able to do that in a nursery or school. plus, I don't like delegating all the little jobs that need doing as in paperwork or resources etc so can't have full time assistants!

EmmaReed84
31-07-2013, 05:09 PM
The delegation points made me really chuckle... In all my previous job I have always got to a management level, I love delegating jobs. I love the managerial side of things, it really gets my creative juices going. DH is now a team leader and this is the first time he has ever been in charge of a team so I love giving him advice and ideas on how to handle situations.

At first he just used to nod and go "Ah ha, yeah, ummm!" then he would talk to a few other people, who would say the EXACT same thing as me then say "Oh yeah, Joe Bloggs said to do this, I think it is a really good idea!" :rolleyes:

I love the idea of a nursery and doing all the business side of things, managing, mentoring, plus I get to be with the children as well.

jadavi
31-07-2013, 05:17 PM
I hit sixty this year so am thinking how to cut back. I considered briefly applying to be an Ofsted inspector till I saw how awful the conditions were (self financing training etc)
I am happy to have assistants and local student doing most of my work while I manage etc and already have a day off a week which made things 100% better as I can go fri- Monday off on a trip (which I can afford thanks to childminding)
My worry is that I will hate feeling useless when I retire.
I am interested in theory in starting up a nursery (have the eyps) but think the managerial side will be a headache and being out of my home will not be such fun or so flexible etc. however if things go that way thru agency shinannigans or whatever then I'm not afraid to consider it.
I need to keep going while my kids are at uni then let circumstances dictate I guess....

rosebud
31-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Would love to run Adventure Activity camps for kids alongside a Forest School - but need to win the Lottery to do it.

I would like to buy a couple of acres with woods and a big field and have forest school and childminding combined. I would just let the boys (and girls!) run free all day, making mud pies & dens, climbing trees, digging in sand, playing with hay bales - lottery win also needed, sigh. ;)

miffy
31-07-2013, 06:50 PM
My ultimate goal is retirement :D

And with my first grandchild due later this year I hope that will be sooner rather than later.

Miffy xx

bindy
01-08-2013, 12:39 PM
I hope to set up a Day Care with a difference! In the next 2 years.

Bumble Beez
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
I hope to set up a Day Care with a difference! In the next 2 years.

Sounds intriguing...would love to know what the difference is ;) keep us posted!!

emma04
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm going to jump from a frying pan in to a fire and become a primary school teacher!
Providing I can pass GCSE maths and biology anytime soon!!
I want to continue working with children, but once my dd2 starts school in 2015, I want my house back!
I want normal objects to look at;

Like beautiful cushions that won't get gormed in snot and dribble!
A clean, stain free carpet
Walls that haven't been buggy bashed
Walls that are free from posters, certificates and crayon!
A computer desk adorned with absolutely nothing!
Empty spaces, where several over spilling toy boxes and baskets used to be!
A garden free of faded plastic paraphernalia!
A downstairs cloak without the steps, seats, floor cloths, floor wipes, baby wipes, nappy sacks etc.
An under stairs cupboard that I can actually find stuff in!
A shed I can walk in!
A car without car seats!

Sorry, I'm renown for going on a bit!!!

CLL
01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm going to jump from a frying pan in to a fire and become a primary school teacher!
I want to continue working with children, but once my dd2 starts school in 2015, I want my house back!

A downstairs cloak without the steps, seats, floor cloths, floor wipes, baby wipes, nappy sacks etc.
A shed I can walk in!
A car without car seats!

I have only been minding 6 months and I want this too! (not the teaching, been there, done that. But the tidy, nice stuff).

wellybelly
01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
My son starts school in 2015, so will be childminding defo till then, after that I'd like to have a few months of meeting friends for lunch, going for a swim by myself and shopping in shops that sell lots of breakable things! Basically I'm gonna do everything I havnt been able to do whilst I've been minding or with my toddler :clapping:

After then, not sure

SJ35
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
I start my OU Open degree early next year. Not sure yet what to do after that though, primary school teaching maybe? X

maisiemog
01-08-2013, 04:06 PM
I have two degrees that I have never used and thousands of pounds of student debt I really should clear but still no ideas what I want to do when I grow up!

My husband and I are seriously considering fostering and I'm also contemplating doing a post grad social worker qualification....or going and doing my PGCE and teaching secondary RE.

My DD starts school next month and I was always going to quit then...I'm still minding and won't be quitting any time soon!

mrstom
01-08-2013, 04:41 PM

A shed I can walk in!
A car without car seats!

I am very jealous Emma.

I realised too late that I wanted to be a primary school teacher (due to a combination of dropping out of my a-levels in the late 90s, then falling into an office job and getting used to having a salary rather than going back to complete my education). At the ripe old age of 36 I've missed the boat :(

I hope that my mistakes will help my own children tread a different path and to not squander their talents or chances!

FussyElmo
01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Tearooms by the sea.
Work at Choccywockydoodah.
Or be a heir hunter :D

FussyElmo
01-08-2013, 05:11 PM
I won't do this now (too old now for changes!) but as I love making simple resources that help the little ones learn, if I had my time again I would perhaps look into this area in more depth (that or become an Heir Hunter!) xx

They were advertising for staff - if only I was in London :D

Bluebell
01-08-2013, 05:32 PM
I would like to buy a couple of acres with woods and a big field and have forest school and childminding combined. I would just let the boys (and girls!) run free all day, making mud pies & dens, climbing trees, digging in sand, playing with hay bales - lottery win also needed, sigh. ;)

Rosebud this was exactly what I was looking into but about £20,000 needed for the teeniest bit of land round here never mind all the other costs but would love it!! If you and i were nearer we could have gone into business together!!

I think I am like you Emma - love childminding but always looking for more - particularly since doing study at uni! I am applying to offer funding and thinking of taking on assistant and could see myself going down that route or even a preschool BUT on the other hand i could see myself doing teaching or HLTA something like that. I feel a bit like I'm at a cross roads at the moment - lots of opportunities and different pathways but where to go!!
Am hoping I will get my EYPS in a couple of months as the assessment went well, am now chairman of pre-school committee, have volunteered to do a day in reception class next year, am doing post graduate studies and have volunteered to do mentoring course with view to mentoring others doing the EYT next year. I've been looking at other jobs like but can;t see anything that would tempt me away from childminding!!

bindy
01-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Sounds intriguing...would love to know what the difference is ;) keep us posted!!

Don't know yet, still thinking on that one lol . I do have the property, but need more money !! Maybe a Day care that is home from home setting, a bigger version than what I'v got now. I have a big old barn,( needs to be converted) lots of land, gardens, woods,(private) I want proper looking bedrooms with proper beds etc.. An old fashioned play room, a snug room, vegetable patch and a few farm animals, hens, pig, ponies etc. Don't know how it will pan out but I have a vision!

Bluebell
01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
I am very jealous Emma.

I realised too late that I wanted to be a primary school teacher (due to a combination of dropping out of my a-levels in the late 90s, then falling into an office job and getting used to having a salary rather than going back to complete my education). At the ripe old age of 36 I've missed the boat :(

I hope that my mistakes will help my own children tread a different path and to not squander their talents or chances!

Noooo!!!! Never too late. I'm 39 and thinking career change! think with your experience there must be routes that don't require full pathway! like online degrees and teaching direct where you learn on the job! - and get paid a salary

SJ35
01-08-2013, 05:41 PM
No never too late! I'm 35 and if i do go into teaching I will be 42 by the time I finish! X

emma04
01-08-2013, 05:42 PM
I am very jealous Emma.

I'm 36!!! So it's never too late
Sitting my GCSE'S with teenagers back in June was a little but odd, but I wasn't the only one!!

Sounds like I did much the same as you, was pants at school work, failed GCSE's, went to college and did 3 years animal nursing, then met DH, got an office job, rented a flat, got a better office job, bought a house, had dd8, got made redundant after 2months of going back after maternity leave, worked in a care home, boss was a bi**h!
Decided to work for myself to fit in with dd8. And here I m now!
With an NVQ3, loads of other stuff and a foundation degree in early years, awaiting GCSE results and the start of my honours degree!

It can be done!

TY628
01-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I hope to do something more related to teaching BUT not school teachers. I want more flexibility so I can teach children skills while playing with them... maybe something like a tuition centre? heehee just dreaming~:laughing:

Bluebell
01-08-2013, 05:47 PM
aww Emma I did my GCSE science last year and was by far the only older person there! Did get an A* though which was a bit of an improvement from my D 20 years ago!!

Emra81
01-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Not sure about my ultimate goal...about to finish 10 years as a primary school teacher at the end of the month. Don't wanna put you off but love the kids, love the teaching, love my colleagues, adored my school but fed up of constantly feeling like I'm letting someone down (esp the kids or my own family) as there just aren't enough hours in the day and the job demands every single one of them.

So am about to start minding in the hope of a slightly better work life balance (esp as hubby is now shift worker) and actually REALLY knowing a handful of kids rather than sort of knowing 34 of them!

Hopefully we'll be lucky enough to have more children of our own (dd is 1) and then re evaluate the situation when they're a bit older...who knows!

In terms of teacher training I did the graduate teacher programme many years ago which is actually specifically designed for career changers (although I was only a year out of uni) and plenty of trainees were in their 30'a and even 40's. The only problem is that it no longer exists as of September and the £9000 fee applies (I was lucky enough to get a wage, small as it was!). Haven't heard of any alternatives that pay a wage but don't give up if it's something you really want to do.....just spend as much time in schools as you can before you make any decisions. Ask teachers to be completely honest about their workload so you go in with your eyes wide open!

amylouise867
01-08-2013, 07:16 PM

A shed I can walk in!
A car without car seats!

Wow

I'm booked on the course next week but you haven't sold this new adventure to me at all :(

Surely it's not all bad?!?! x

Bluebell
01-08-2013, 07:34 PM
the school direct route has 2 routes and 1 of them is salaried, in some circumstances your fees can be paid and there is also a bursary of up to £20,000

amylouise - yes it definitely takes over your house!!!

The Juggler
01-08-2013, 07:39 PM
i've done this nearly 9 years. I did a degree in early childhood studies whilst working. 3 years later I have a teacher training contract in my local nursery school which hopefully will mean next year I will be an NQT.

I am passionate still about working with young children and love it but I DO want my house back and do need to work with others. I love me time, have loved being my own boss but I miss working with others.

Mrs Scrubbit
01-08-2013, 07:44 PM
They were advertising for staff - if only I was in London :D

Oooooooo me too..........if only, I wonder if any of my sons could do with a lodger mmmmmmmmmmmm

The Juggler
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Tearooms by the sea.
Work at Choccywockydoodah.
Or be a heir hunter :D

like your thinking mrs :laughing:

teacakepenguin
01-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Well I've only been registered a few months and still am quite quiet, but really I'm childminding because I have 4 children myself, the youngest of whom started reception last sept, so I can really see me staying as a childminder until he's at secondary school - so another 6 years really. By which point my eldest will be 20 - gulp! - and maybe not even at home anymore. Number 2 will be 16, number 3 would be 14. Oh and I'd be 44. I have *no* idea what I'll do then, I don't have a career, and although I do love children (helpful that!), I don't really want to go into teaching. I could see myself moving more into helping others become childminders or things like that.

Gosh I haven't really thought about the future much, I just kinda fell into childminding as my mate was doing it and I realised how perfectly it fits around a young family. Good question.

Jessica

Chatterbox Childcare
02-08-2013, 07:15 AM
I always said "when my youngest goes to school" - well that was 12 years ago and she had left now :0

then I said "I will do my degree" - wanted more family time so it didn't happen

then I said "primary teacher" - didn't do degree

then I said "surestart centre manager" - looked into it and it wasn't for me

then I said "set up a nursery" - found that I was too restricted

now I am happy doing my job, making money and lookin to retirement in the next 15 years

emma04
02-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Wow

I'm booked on the course next week but you haven't sold this new adventure to me at all :(

Surely it's not all bad?!?! x

After 6 years, it is that bad!

The job is wonderful and I enjoy every minute of it. I just wish I could do it and live in a home rather than a workplace sometimes.

westbrom44
02-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I absolutely love my job as a childminder and plan to continue until I retire, health permitting. I love all aspects, being with the children and the paperwork.

I am lucky that I put everything away in the garage on Friday night and start again on Monday morning, so my home is my own over the weekend.

suzyjane73
02-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I'd just like a cup of tea and a sit down!:)

Ripeberry
02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Win the lottery and retire! :D

Samijanec
02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Win the lottery and retire! :D

Sorry but you can't, that's my plan... :D :D