PDA

View Full Version : toilet training

kats
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
can anyone give me a bit of advice please. I have a mindee who is 2 years and 6 months old, he is so obviously ready to start toilet training, i have talked with mum several times over the past month and she said she would start it at the weekend but it never happens. Where do i stand with this, do i keep mentioning it or do i just now leave it up to her now to decide when she wants to start it.
Thanks, kats x

manjay
09-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I would keep mentioning little things but not push it too much. I know my ds (26 mths) is ready but I am waiting until I have 2 weeks off to give him my undivided attention and hoping the weather gets better so he can run around the garden in peace with no nappy:D

I think it also depends on the parent aswell. There could be all sorts of reasons why she is not giving it a go. Maybe she has had lots of mad weekends where she has been unable to do it, perhaps the thought of trailing a toddler around with a potty scares the hell out of her or she just does not fancy the idea of wee all over the carpet.

Hope you make some progress soon xx

angeldelight
10-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Think I would leave it for a bit and like Amanda wait for a period of nice weather ( if we ever get any ) and ask if she wants to give it a go

You need to both work together on this so you are going to need her support

Good luck

Angel xx

sarah707
10-07-2008, 06:46 AM
my ds wasn't anywhere near ready at that age!

He was a lazy little so and so and I didn't train him until he was nearly 3 in the end.

I always think that parents have all sorts of reasons why they don't want to start and it isn't my place to do more than mention it occasionally ... :D

louised
10-07-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm in a very similar situation with two of my mindees who are 2yrs 9mnths and 2yrs 4mnths. The youngest actually used the potty at my house yesterday. I have dropped numerous hints to both sets of parents but they fall on deaf ears. I'm having 2 weeks off at the end of the month so I'm going to suggest they toilet train then. I find it really difficult not to say too much as both my children were toilet trained before they were 2 and before I became a childminder I had never changed a 2 year olds nappy. I think a lot of the time parents are just lazy.

babyandchild
10-07-2008, 07:23 AM
All children are different, some train earlier than others. I had one mindee who showed no awareness of toilet training at all until he was just over 3 years old - and when he started training he was dry day and night immediately - Not 1 accident!
My sister lives in Germany and she said over there nobody starts potty training until the child is over 3 years old and are absolutely ready for it! She thought it was all a bit bazaar and trained her son earlier than this, but she did say that some friends waited until their child was 3 and training was very easy, again with no accidents!
I really do think it all depends on the individual child.

kats
10-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Louised, i agree with you, some parents are lazy, potty training requires a lot of hard work i some of them just dont want to do it. The child i have got is more than ready to start, he shows all the right signs, he tells me when he wants the toilet but because his mum doesnt want me to start yet i have to just tell him to do it in his nappy. I agree some children are ready to start later than others but i think at two and a half its time to at least give it a try
kats x

LisaH
10-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I got the distinct impression from a couple of my parents that it was entirely my job to toilet train!!! So yes parents are definately lazy. I would just keep dropping hints, they will have to do it sooner or later lol.