PDA

View Full Version : Any single childminders without their own children? Need advice.

pirateship
31-07-2013, 09:15 AM
I need help! I am weighing up my options but am feeling a bit trapped. I have decided that I want to split from my partner of 9 years but I also want to continue childminding. If I am not able to stay on my own in the house that we are in (I have a feeling he might be a bit difficult and refuse to move out) I'll need to find another property to rent by myself.

We found it difficult to find a landlord that was happy for me to childmind in his property and so I'm worried that my wage alone as a self employed person won't satisfy a letting agency as it can be a different amount each month. I do earn enough but my bank account statements are all over the place as I don't always put what I am paid into my account. I give half to my partner for rent and bills and then the rest into my account for my outgoings. Think I may have shot myself in the foot there though as it doesn't look like I earn as much as I do.

I don't have any children of my own so I don't get any kind of tax credits that could help with rent. Do you think my best bet is to start looking for a private landlord so I can explain my situation? How do I do that? I have spoken to my Dad and he is happy to be my guarantor but I'm not sure if you only have a guarantor when you get a mortgage? Has anyone been in my situation that can give me some advice? I'm feeling stuck.

SJ35
31-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Hi I'm not single now but I did separate from my husband for a while a few years ago. I found it fine to rent in my own, my mom was my guarantor.
You'll be fine :)
X

Bumble Beez
31-07-2013, 10:41 AM
My advice would be to find a guarantor...although the situation isn't a nice one or one that is easily solved :( so I do feel for you.
As far as landlords are concerned (from what I know) most are happy as long as the rent is being paid and the property is being looked after...but I suppose if you make your needs known when you visit any agents they will be able to advise from there x

Sarah x

Helen79
31-07-2013, 11:32 AM
You don't need children to be able to claim tax credits. You won't get the child tax credit but may be entitled to working tax credits depending on your income. You may be able to claim council tax credit and housing benefit which they work out depending on your income. If you live by yourself you will at least be entitled to the single person discount on the council tax.

Could you maybe start putting all your wage into your account then taking it out to give to your oh to pay the rent and bills? If you did this for a few months then it would show how much you were earning. Also your written accounts will be proof of your income.

karen m
31-07-2013, 12:12 PM
I think it depends on individual landlord , I have been on both sides of the fence , a landlord and a tenant . I always give permission if it is a job that is legal and above aboard , my landlord gave me permission to childmind in his property like others have said as long as you can pay rent and look after the property. I am also a single person now and can manage all bills although really have to be strict with yourself and put money aside in case you ever have a lean time on mindees . Good luck and hope all works out well for you in the end

bindy
31-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I need help! I am weighing up my options but am feeling a bit trapped. I have decided that I want to split from my partner of 9 years but I also want to continue childminding. If I am not able to stay on my own in the house that we are in (I have a feeling he might be a bit difficult and refuse to move out) I'll need to find another property to rent by myself.

We found it difficult to find a landlord that was happy for me to childmind in his property and so I'm worried that my wage alone as a self employed person won't satisfy a letting agency as it can be a different amount each month. I do earn enough but my bank account statements are all over the place as I don't always put what I am paid into my account. I give half to my partner for rent and bills and then the rest into my account for my outgoings. Think I may have shot myself in the foot there though as it doesn't look like I earn as much as I do.

I don't have any children of my own so I don't get any kind of tax credits that could help with rent. Do you think my best bet is to start looking for a private landlord so I can explain my situation? How do I do that? I have spoken to my Dad and he is happy to be my guarantor but I'm not sure if you only have a guarantor when you get a mortgage? Has anyone been in my situation that can give me some advice? I'm feeling stuck.

Don't worry, your father can be a guarantor. Try and put all your earnings into the bank before taking it out to give to your partner. There will be some landlords that don't mind, just explain to them its different to a normal business, so able to run from the home. Good luck, so sorry you are going through this.

bindy
31-07-2013, 12:27 PM
You don't need children to be able to claim tax credits. You won't get the child tax credit but may be entitled to working tax credits depending on your income. You may be able to claim council tax credit and housing benefit which they work out depending on your income. If you live by yourself you will at least be entitled to the single person discount on the council tax.

Could you maybe start putting all your wage into your account then taking it out to give to your oh to pay the rent and bills? If you did this for a few months then it would show how much you were earning. Also your written accounts will be proof of your income.

One more thing, being a child minder, only a third of your income will be taken into consideration for housing benefit. IE you earn £600, they will look at £200. They do this to try and encourage more child minders.

jackie 7
31-07-2013, 01:40 PM
I am single and manage. Pm me and we can talk on the phone if you want any advice on how I do it.

pirateship
05-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone. Definitely a few things to think about, we had the chat last week so will just have to see how it all pans out. Scary!

hectors house
05-08-2013, 03:04 PM
We have a property that we let out, our latest tenant was unemployed and his rent would be paid by the council, we asked for a guarantor and he gave the letting agency his parents details but because they live abroad they couldn't be accepted, so he gave his sister who does live in this country. Anyone can be a guarantor as long as they know what their legal obligation is and they are over 18 and resident of UK. Hope you find a way round your tricky situation soon. And as others have said if you need to apply for benefits they assume you only get a third of your earnings after expenses.

ziggy
05-08-2013, 03:19 PM
I am single (widow) and my children are grown up and live in england.

I moved to this house last october and didnt expect lady lady to accept me a tenant. Luckily estate agent was uncle of previous mindees and think he told her i was doing ok and had steady income.

as mentioned you can claim working tax credit, mine is based on previous years income. Advice about housing benefit is also correct.

I often worry about lack of financial security but then think it wouldnt be any safer or more secure if i worked away from home

good luck