PDA

View Full Version : Older children helping with babies

KatieFS
30-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Hi all

Bit of advice, what do u all do
My son is 10, and really likes to help and play with mindees.

I have twin babies 9 months starting in a few weeks. They have an older sister of 7 I'll be looking after too after school.
Mum has said she likes older sister to help, but I've always said to my son not to pick up babies incase he drops them. So advised mum at first no but once babies are up and about a bit might allow. The little girl helps at home so will prob feel weird for her.
Not really sure what to do, what to adv how to handle. As its summer ill have him around all day and I know he will be very keen for a cuddle.
What do u do? Am I being harsh. So worried my son might drop one by accident.
What would ofsted say too??!???

The Juggler
30-07-2013, 09:32 PM
i have a rule with my two (who are the oldest), they are not allowed to pick up the babies whilst standing (they seem to need lots of reminding :panic:). If I pass them a baby whilst standing momentarily for a cuddle, they must not walk with baby. They can sit on floor and pull them on laps for a cuddle. Or sit properly on sofa with them (depending on how small the baby is).

It will be hard for their sister but 7 is very young to be holding and carrying. You can still get her really involved with helping in other ways though. :thumbsup:

Mrs Scrubbit
30-07-2013, 09:36 PM
I would get him to help by playing with them by all means but never would allow babies to be picked up by other children xx

MessybutHappy
30-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Cuddles only with my permission here, way too risky! Eldest have dropped their siblings and cousins, but never - yet - a mindee!

bindy
31-07-2013, 06:50 AM
All I can say how sad! I know lots will disagree with me but surely if supervised and the child is not walking around with a baby just for the sake of walking around. Mine do pick up the toddlers, but mind are 1years plus. Never dropped one but I guess they could, but they could also trip over one, or knock something onto one, or hit one by accident or lets just stay in bed and never get out just in case.... Ofsted was her not too long ago when an older one went to pick up a little one, she did not bat an eye lid. I really try to have an normal home from home setting, not try and wrap the mindees in cotton wool and allow things to happen that is the norm in most house holds. I understand the little ones don't always want to be picked up but mine soon let them know if they don't want it. Its my way only!

KatieFS
31-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Thank you. I should have also said, another reason to make me doubt the way I e been doing things..
I have a current minder who is nearly 2, had her since she was 8m. I was the same then saying please don't pick up babies. Now she gets in a real tissy if any child tries to help her. She is I dependant anyway but think my way of voicing concern over older children picking children up has rubbed off negatively.
Food for thought

jackie 7
31-07-2013, 07:37 AM
How wonderful for the 7 year old not to have to help. Tell her thank you off the help and I will call you when I need help. She needs to not feel she needs to help. 7 is young. She should be outside running around having fun.

vals
31-07-2013, 08:08 AM
A child that comes to me is expected to 'help' at home with her younger brother. Then if anything happens to him she gets the blame. I find it quite difficult as I don't like that they blame her for them being slack. There are already signs that she is starting to resent him as its 'his fault' she gets shouted at.
I don't allow children to pick each other up. I tell them that its my job to look after the little ones and that they are here to play and have fun, not to be the grownup. If they are sitting down they can have a cuddle etc, but if I allowed some to pick them up, at what age is it ok. I have seen children try and pick up another child by the head as if they are a doll. Its easier to have a clear simple rule.

bindy
31-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Thank you. I should have also said, another reason to make me doubt the way I e been doing things..
I have a current minder who is nearly 2, had her since she was 8m. I was the same then saying please don't pick up babies. Now she gets in a real tissy if any child tries to help her. She is I dependant anyway but think my way of voicing concern over older children picking children up has rubbed off negatively.
Food for thought

I guess at the end of the day we can only do what we thing is best at the time!