PDA

View Full Version : Chidminding

denny7
30-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Hello everyone

I am new to this site and would be most grateful for information on how to become a resisted child miner...where do I start...what courses to take and where do I do them....how many children can one take on....and how much do you charge per child.....where do I find suitable equipment .....and how much do you out lay to start with!!!!!

Please help, any information will be very helpful, I need to start at the very beginning.

Thanking you all in advance
Denny7

moggy
30-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Hello everyone

I am new to this site and would be most grateful for information on how to become a resisted child miner...where do I start...what courses to take and where do I do them....how many children can one take on....and how much do you charge per child.....where do I find suitable equipment .....and how much do you out lay to start with!!!!!

Please help, any information will be very helpful, I need to start at the very beginning.

Thanking you all in advance
Denny7

Firstly, phone your Local Authority and book on their introduction course. They will cover all you need to know to make the decision about whether to continue or not. It is free for the intro course.

Read this becoming a registered childminder (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/becomingachildminder.html)

You asked:

-what courses to take and where do I do them- ask at the Intro Course as can vary by area. Usually CYPOP5 can be online or at college. Paediatric First Aid 12 hour course as specified by your local authority. Then there is Safeguarding but again ask as Local Authority need to specify which courses they allow.

-how many children can one take on- see EYFS stautory framework : EYFS Statutory Framework (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/eyfsstatutoryframework.html)

basically, 6 under 8s, 3 of them can be under 5s (pre-school), one of them can be under 1. But this includes you own children, whether they are at school/nursery/grannies etc! Over 8s you can take on up to your insurance limit of around 10 children total. This all depends on your floor space, though- see EYFS link.

- how much do you charge per child- ranges enormously by region, £3.50-£6 per hour, ask at the Intro Course what your local rates are.

-where do I find suitable equipment- depends what age you will be looking after- babies? toddlers after-school children? You can buy new or second hand don't worry too much yet as you don;t know what you need. I had stuff from my own children plus Freecycle, eBay, charity shops etc.

-and how much do you out lay to start with- depends, if you want to buy a swish new buggy etc etc! You can get by with very little to start with, ask at Intro Course if there are any grants available. There will be Ofsted fees, insurance, GP health certificate to pay for, ICO data protection fee... maybe more but they are the basics.

Bumble Beez
30-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Moggy was very thorough with the reply given...
Speak to your LA and try to get some advice from them...there will be information sessions that you can attend to ask questions and see if its for you :)
Keep us posted on what you decide x

Sarah x

Amandak28
31-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Morning, great news on becoming a childminder.

im just about to submit all my tasks for the CYPOP5 course and it was not a walk in the park but so worth it!! i cant wait to get my certificate!

just follow the steps moggy suggested as they will lead you onto the right path :-)

good luck and keep us posted xxx