PDA

View Full Version : Oh no new parent not paying...

smartbear
30-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Well, never had this problem in 12 years of childminding, & really pretty cross about it too. Advice please!
New parent rang seeking childcare quickly, as it happened we had a space due to another parent losing job. "Phew" I thought & "that's convenient. Came, signed, started immediately (3/7), asked her to set up DD direct into account for 1st month starting August & pay July soon as. Several promises to pay later, still no money. Will she turn up tomorrow?? At what point do I do something - and what?? I told her that the money needed to be in the account end of month at latest & that at that point the August payment would also be due. She promised it was going in last week but no, it hasn't & no contact since then either.:angry:

shortstuff
30-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Im not sure what to say to this one. Which methods have you used to contact the parent? Is it definate the parent would have seen your attempts?

Have you phoned your insurance?

They would probably be the first place i would call x

Simona
30-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Did you take a 4 weeks deposit from the parent when the contract was signed start of July?
Yes I agree she should have been reminded of the due payment in July

Ask her to settle both payments by 1st August but warn her the next has to be on time or you will withdraw care...similar thread like this is elsewhere

Safeguard yourself by charging deposit next time and then refund when care is finished

funemnx
30-07-2013, 05:36 PM
I wonder why she needed childcare so quickly....

Did she not pay her last CM and ran? It's possible that she paid the last in arrears and didn't have the money to pay you upfront but was embarassed to tell you.. I think I might go round there and see her - hope it all works out ok x

bernesewalking
30-07-2013, 05:45 PM
A friend of mine had exactly the same problem, new parent was in a hurry to sign and start the next day, my friend asked her to pay at the end of each month, the first month after lots of promises she paid 3weeks late, the second month after promises again and my friend giving her lots of chances, no money was paid, the insurance company are now involved and have told her she is not likely to get the money back. ( £800 ) She has since found out the parent has done the same to 2 nurserys and another childminder,that we no of, annoying thing is she gets the full amount available from tax credits,

smartbear
30-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I wonder why she needed childcare so quickly....

Did she not pay her last CM and ran? It's possible that she paid the last in arrears and didn't have the money to pay you upfront but was embarassed to tell you.. I think I might go round there and see her - hope it all works out ok x

Thanks, have been wondering that. But how long can she keep doing this? Is it significant that she's not from our local area I wonder? Running out of options perhaps!

Mouse
30-07-2013, 06:05 PM
So, you've worked 4 weeks with no pay? I wouldn't let it go any further.

Phone now & say that as you've still not been paid for July, you are sorry, but you will not be having the children any more. There's a good chance you're not going to see the money she already owes you, so don't let it build up even more. If she says she will pay, tell her it needs to be cash, in full for July & August before you even consider having the children back.

You run the risk of her never coming back, but as you're not being paid for the work you're doing, what have you got to lose?

little chickee
30-07-2013, 06:10 PM
If she hasn't paid the full amount due for July and August by 1st Aug then i would withdraw care immediatley. I would very firmly tell parent that unless she pays up in full then the contract will be ended with immediate effect.

I have been messed about with late/ non payers before and i would not do it again.

It doesn't bode well for the future if she is missing payments already. I would rather do without the work than have to chase payment every month.

adedwards68
30-07-2013, 06:28 PM
A friend of mine had exactly the same problem, new parent was in a hurry to sign and start the next day, my friend asked her to pay at the end of each month, the first month after lots of promises she paid 3weeks late, the second month after promises again and my friend giving her lots of chances, no money was paid, the insurance company are now involved and have told her she is not likely to get the money back. ( £800 ) She has since found out the parent has done the same to 2 nurserys and another childminder,that we no of, annoying thing is she gets the full amount available from tax credits,

I've been in a similar situation where a parent owed over £1000 Has anyone managed, when getting legal help, to get their money back. It's seems all to easy to get away with it
What childminders need is somewhere, where we can name and shame these people and then the next minder can check if they are bad payers. But of course we can't, it against their human rights or something!

Simona
30-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I've been in a similar situation where a parent owed over £1000 Has anyone managed, when getting legal help, to get their money back. It's seems all to easy to get away with it
What childminders need is somewhere, where we can name and shame these people and then the next minder can check if they are bad payers. But of course we can't, it against their human rights or something!

In my view what cms need is to understand that they need to cover for their business...nothing to do with human rights!
Would you be able to rent any house/flat without giving a deposit upfront? of course not!

This is a good time to update all your own contracts and look at any you have off the shelf and make sure you take a 4 weeks deposit as soon as settling-in starts which should follow the parents signing a contract with you.

These examples of loss of money come up a lot and only apply to cms who do not have a deposit from the parents!!!..
parents are less likely to not pay when you hold a deposit!!
Think ahead and cover for all circumstances

bindy
30-07-2013, 08:46 PM

I managed to get mine £800 through small claims court. I found it easy and not expensive. I can understand some people would not like to take this route but I figure for a small amount of money to pay up front I had nothing to lose!

The Juggler
30-07-2013, 08:53 PM
has she just stopped coming honey? or is she due to come back?

i would call tax credits anyway with her name. that way she can't keep claiming (or the fraud helpline) then pursue with your insurer.

However, if she is plannign to come back - refuse care until she has paid up :thumbsup:

chezzagriff
31-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I would tell her that if the payment has not been made by the end of the week you will terminate contract and ring a debt collection agency. Hope you get your money.

smartbear
31-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks all - well, still no payment. Emailed yesterday in response to her request for care on Thurs&Fri (normally Weds & Fri) this week with reminder that money needed before end of month or care will have to be suspended. Still no payment in so have just confirmed this by email again. Partner will text her later (I'm out this eve) to say email has been sent. All requests for payment so far - & they've happened every day she's been, escalating upwards from gentle reminders - has been face-to-face, & I've asked if she needs any help applying for tax credits etc.

So we shall see...so worried it'll somehow blow up in my face :panic: