PDA

View Full Version : Fire drill, food temperature and sleep charts

chezzagriff
30-07-2013, 04:55 PM
I have been registered since Feb and I am due my 1st official inspection tomorrow! I have been doing fire drills once a month and recording them (date, number of children, length of time to evacuate premises) and I was wondering if there are any official sheets I should transfer all this information on to or will my own makeshift sheets be ok?
As for food temperature sheets again I dont have any official sheets just my own one that has the date and what temp the food was. I only use it when cooking meat or fish but should I be using it when cooking things like potatoes etc.?
Last question..... I have sleep charts that again I have made myself that include date and time checked and I check every 10 mins. Does this sound ok?
Thanks everyone in advance for any help :thumbsup:

Mrsh3103
30-07-2013, 05:14 PM
I use my own sheets. I don't think it really matters how you record it :)

munch149
30-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I used to record sleep and food temps but don't bother any more as I never used to remember to fill them in. Is it necessary

I made my own form for fire drills

bunyip
30-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Gosh, you're really thorough.

I don't record food temperatures and only do fridge temps about twice a week (which my EHO said was a bit excessive for a CM when she did my graded inspection for food hygiene.) Btw, temperatures would only be important for meat/fish and similar 'high risk' foods, not veg. Paperwork for these things does exist, but it is really for the catering/food industry: expensive and not worth buying - you clearly make a good job of using your own to demonstrate 'due diligence'.

Ofsted will either be very impressed or totally uninterested. My inspector merely checked that my EHO inspection had gone well and wasn't really concerned beyond that.

You obviously do lots of fire drills, which should more than satisfy the inspector: I think the requirement is 2 per year (?) for each person attending.

Your sleep charts sound good too.

IMHO I think you're doing far above and beyond what most CMs do, and I hope you get a grading which reflects that. All the best. :thumbsup:

smartbear
30-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Do firedrills on own sheet & keep them in register folder along with visitor record log. Tick off each morning on daily chart that fire alarm's working (just a little light on it, don't have to wake the whole house though that'd be fun for the hungover teenagers heh heh!:D) also fridge temp. Have never & will never record nappies, food temperatures or sleeps in writing - life is too short, my time too valuable, & we should be saving trees not converting them into tons of paperwork!:)

smartbear
30-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Do firedrills on own sheet & keep them in register folder along with visitor record log. Tick off each morning on daily chart that fire alarm's working (just a little light on it, don't have to wake the whole house though that'd be fun for the hungover teenagers heh heh!:D) also fridge temp. Have never & will never record nappies, food temperatures or sleeps in writing - life is too short, my time too valuable, & we should be saving trees not converting them into tons of paperwork!:)

Have just realised you have Ofsted due tomorrow - don't worry, what you're doing is more than enough - good luck!

chezzagriff
30-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks so much everyone. Depending on what the inspector says I might cut down on paperwork but just wanted to make sure I record EVERYTHING then I cant be told I have missed something or not doing enough. Will let you all know how I get on. Now time to try and relax before tomorrow :rolleyes:

lilac_dragon
30-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Sound like you have everything covered.

Good Luck

Bumble Beez
31-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Good luck for today...not that you'll need it :) hope you managed to relax a little last night...
Keep us posted on how it goes x

Sarah x

Daisy De
31-07-2013, 05:58 AM
I have my own fire drill chart and do fire drills every month but don't keep temperature or sleep charts. I do have a thermometer in the fridge and I do glance at it occasionally but that's about it. Last Ofsted was pre sept 12 but she didn't even ask for temperature, sleep charts or anything of that nature. She did see the file where my fire drill records are kept she didn't mention them though.

Good luck with your inspection.

CLL
31-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Good luck, it sounds like you are doing everything you need. Let us know how you get on.

Mrsh3103
31-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Good luck for today :)

chezzagriff
31-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Todays the day!!! Last question then Im switching my laptop off until he has gone.... when nappy changing I do so on a changing mat on the living room floor so that I can keep an eye on the other children, I use gloves and antibac wipes on the mat after use will this be ok? Or should I do it in the bathroom? Thanks guys :thumbsup:

charlottenash
31-07-2013, 07:23 AM
I nappy change wherever is convenient - sofa, bed, nappy mat on the floor.

Bumble Beez
31-07-2013, 07:30 AM
I change nappies in sight of the other LO's but so that there is a little privacy for babe...but tbh anywhere would be fine, as long as it gets done!
Gloves and anti-bac work for me so you should be fine :)
Good luck xx

Sarah x

cherry
31-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Good luck for today, let us know how you got on :thumbsup:

kellyskidz!
31-07-2013, 08:24 AM
You sound super organised and that can only be a positive unless you're running yourself into the ground!
Good luck for today, fingers crossed for you xxx

lozzy23
31-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Good luck today, hope it all goes well:thumbsup:

chezzagriff
31-07-2013, 12:40 PM
I got good :) Luckily doing the paperwork isnt too much of a chore so I dont mind doing it but I dont know how some of you manage to not do it as he checked everything and asked to see some things such as the food temp log. The thing that stopped me from getting outstanding was the fact I only had one poster showing diversity and he wanted to see more of that and he wanted to see more evidence that I show the parents the observations which was a little annoying as I do and I have a comment box but they never comment so I cant make them. Will just have to encourage them more I guess. Thanks for you help all :)

Bumble Beez
31-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Fab news...well done you!! All that worrying for nothing hey?! Time to chill now and be very proud of yourself ;)

:clapping:

Sarah x

chezzagriff
31-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Haha yes I am going to have a very relaxing evening with a takeaway and some alcohol as Im not working untill Monday now :)

CLL
31-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Excellent news, well done