PDA

View Full Version : autisum

chelle
09-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know if you have to have special training to look after someone who has autisum (hope i spelt it right) it's just that i have had an enquiry today well it was a message left on my answering machine wondering if i have any vacancies for a 2yr old boy ?? havn't got back to her yet as i have been out but i need to ring her back in the morning. If you don't i'm not sure if i want to take on anyone with autism just because i have a baby starting in sept.xx

angeldelight
09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
I have been minding a child with autisum for the last few years

I havent had training but I did have to speak to school and her doctor with mom and they explained all about it to me

I treat the little girl much the same as the others - obviously she needs more attention sometimes than the other children and she can get easily upset and distressed if something does not go her way but apart from that things are good

I was also worried at first but I met with mom and judged for myself

The little girl is gentle with the babies but likes to be left alone to play most of the time and is not any trouble

Meet with mom and she will advise you and you can decide yourself then explain to mom that its new to you she will be understanding

If you need any more help just send me a pm

Angel xx

chelle
09-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I have been minding a child with autisum for the last few years

I havent had training but I did have to speak to school and her doctor with mom and they explained all about it to me

I treat the little girl much the same as the others - obviously she needs more attention sometimes than the other children and she can get easily upset and distressed if something does not go her way but apart from that things are good

I was also worried at first but I met with mom and judged for myself

The little girl is gentle with the babies but likes to be left alone to play most of the time and is not any trouble

Meet with mom and she will advise you and you can decide yourself then explain to mom that its new to you she will be understanding

If you need any more help just send me a pm

Angel xx

THANKS angel i am a little worried but i will arrange to meet mum and take it from there :) thanks again :D xx

Pedagog
09-07-2008, 10:29 PM
My youngest son has a diagnosis of High Functioning Autism. Sometimes he does need more attention than his peers, and he has no sense of real dangers, but has irrational fears of things such as Dr Who, He also has sensory issues (can't cope with certain sounds, smells, textures etc)..

I have also looked after many Autistic kids in a youth group setting.

There is some very useful information on the NAS website NAS Information (http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=121)

They also run courses for parents and carers (which would include childminders) called Early Bird.

Hope that helps.

sarah707
10-07-2008, 06:54 AM
I cared for a boy with autism for many years ... it is challenging but very rewarding.

I do not have any special training but I did read up on the subject and learned a lot as I was going along from his family.

You will need to talk to your family about this one as you will need their support, especially if things get tough ... no point taking a child on, for them to keep telling you to finish the contract the minute anything goes wrong - it happened to a friend of mine, so it's a valid warning...

Lots of support and advice here - http://www.nas.org.uk/

Let us know how the interview goes! :D

berkschick
10-07-2008, 08:16 AM
My daughter has Aspergers which is a form of Autism.

Let me know if I can help you!

LOOPYLISA
10-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi not sure wat help i can give you, my step son is autistic, you may of read some of my many threads about him(good and bad)!

I won.t lie it can be very hard at times, :angry: but im sure if you decide to take (sorry can.t remember if you said boy/girl) on it will work out fine x

Good luck:thumbsup:

foxy lady
10-07-2008, 08:51 AM
it very much depends on the severity of the autisum it can be very mild to very severe.
if it is mild or medium it shouldnt be too bad but if it is severe then it would be very difficult as he would take up most of your time

chelle
12-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies :) i have met with mum and had a really good chat but unfortunatly i have decided not to take him on as he is quite servere and i have the 6mth old to consider, i think if i hadn't had the baby i would have had him, but thanks again for all your advice :thumbsup:

luv chelle :thank you:

Pedagog
14-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Thats a shame, I can understand why you haven't taken him.

angeldelight
14-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Thats a shame but they can be demanding you have to do what is right for yourself

Angel xx