PDA

View Full Version : tactfully telling parents to arrive quietly!!!!

candy cat
30-07-2013, 06:59 AM
It is niggling me .....my poor son gets woken up every morning at 7 because parents like to chat VERY LOUDLY ......or children have a paddy ......I don't expect the babies to understand and to be fair it's not the childrens fault.....just frustrating as it's the holidays ......any tips pretty please :0)

shortstuff
30-07-2013, 07:01 AM
It is niggling me .....my poor son gets woken up every morning at 7 because parents like to chat VERY LOUDLY ......or children have a paddy ......I don't expect the babies to understand and to be fair it's not the childrens fault.....just frustrating as it's the holidays ......any tips pretty please :0)

I normally answer the door whispering and keep responding in that way. I also always try to get to the door before the doorbell. Parents usually will copy and whisper back, or at least ask why you are whispering and that then gives you the chance to say you are letting your little one sleep till his normal hour.

Mrsh3103
30-07-2013, 07:10 AM
If either of my ds' are still sleeping when a mindee turns up I open the door with my finger over my lips & whisper shhhh ds is sleeping.

bunyip
30-07-2013, 07:23 AM

Since you're telling everyone on the forum, have you considered telling the parents? :huh:

desiderata
30-07-2013, 07:28 AM
I have a similar problem as my dd has got a job in a cocktail bar and works 16.00 till 4.00 am 4 days a week so is asleep when they arrive, the children I care for are very good and will come in and say is A asleep and if I say yes they talk quietly. But the parents dont seem to care !! even a 4 year old told her mom off the other day and said Mommy A asleep be quiet please x if one or more arrive at the same time its a nightmare cos the parents decide to have a big conversation and I find myself giving them glaring looks and then saying to the children thank you for being quiet kids. x

skatie
30-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Ooh, I'm with you on this one as my mindees arrive at 7am, usually hide round the corner and jump out screaming, bless them.... But it's too early in the morning and I'm waiting for the neighbours to complain. No amount of saying that they'll wake the neighbours seems to sink. Like you I'm not very good at just saying 'you need to be quiet in the mornings because xyz. Don't ask me why I just can't say it. Unfortunately for the poor old lady next door who has been I'll in hospital, she is my new excuse as to why they must be quiet in the mornings! Good luck hope you work up the courage to tell parents.

candy cat
30-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Since you're telling everyone on the forum, have you considered telling the parents? :huh:

Gosh think you got up too early too.....came on for advice not a sarky comment thanks!

Thanks everyone else for your comments :0)

muffins
30-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Its this reason I wont have anyone arriving before 7.30 as thats when my LO's tend to get up. I recently had an enquiry for a 7mth old to start at 6, like I really want a baby coming in and the possibility of them screaming the house down at that time, no thanks!

bunyip
30-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Gosh think you got up too early too.....came on for advice not a sarky comment thanks!

Thanks everyone else for your comments :0)

It wasn't intended as sarcastic. If I had the same problem of noisy arrivals I'd address it politely and directly to whomsoever was causing the noise. It doesn't have to be confrontational.

Rubybubbles
30-07-2013, 08:24 AM
I explain to all my parents upon contracts that my own family if at home don't surface until later! I used to have a 6:30 start who arrived buzzing but Putting my foot down from the beginning.

As it is my 11yr old has only just woke lol! Although I'm not working today 3 phone calls at 8 am grrrr woke me

candy cat
30-07-2013, 08:37 AM
It wasn't intended as sarcastic. If I had the same problem of noisy arrivals I'd address it politely and directly to whomsoever was causing the noise. It doesn't have to be confrontational.

Ok, but just the way you said ' has you have told everyone on the forum' seemed off to me :0)

Mouse
30-07-2013, 08:44 AM
I agree with Bunyip...and I'm not being sarcastic either!

If you want parents to be quiet in the morning, just ask them. Why not just say "as it's the holiday, my son is still asleep when you arrive, so can i ask that you're quiet in the morning?"

Very often parents are totally unaware of our families' needs, so it just needs pointing out to them.

ziggy
30-07-2013, 08:45 AM
I know just how you feel. I have a very loud chatty mummy who collects at 1.30. No point putting other 2 down for nap until she goes. Odd time I have had one asleep I have tried going to door with her child and whispering that I have a child asleep but it makes no difference and she gets quite offended.

Due to school run in September I will have to put 3yr old to bed at 1pm so I think I may explain situation to her, have child ready at door and not get into conversation.

BUT it is very very difficult.

Do you write a newsletter? could you mention it in that and keep answering door in 'quiet voice'? Good luck, not easy

jackie 7
30-07-2013, 08:51 AM
How about s letter to everyone. Please remember when you come others might bd asleep. Say your neighbour had mentioned the noise. Agree with the whispering when they come. Ever a sign on the door telling them. When some collect from me or drop off when someone is asleep I tell them to text when outside.

candy cat
30-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Hi yes normally do a newsletter, but only got 2 children on books at the moment due to having an operation last month so feel it is too obvious who is the noisy one lol.....normally I am fairly assertive, but think as they have been so loyal to me over last couple of months I feel uncomfortable telling them I guess.

Oh and ignore me you are right I should tell them to be quiet lol

kats
30-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Sorry but i think i'm going to annoy everyone now, my thoughts on it are that i am a business that opens at 7am i really dont think i should be asking parents and children to be quiet and whispering when they arrive, my working day starts when families arrive and my family understand and accept that, if i consider a time too early for my family then i wouldnt do it. My children know im working from 7.30 am so know their bed time in school hols is much the same as in term time meaning they don't need a lie in!! Just my views on it!!:)

Mouse
30-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Sorry but i think i'm going to annoy everyone now, my thoughts on it are that i am a business that opens at 7am i really dont think i should be asking parents and children to be quiet and whispering when they arrive, my working day starts when families arrive and my family understand and accept that, if i consider a time too early for my family then i wouldnt do it. My children know im working from 7.30 am so know their bed time in school hols is much the same as in term time meaning they don't need a lie in!! Just my views on it!!:)

It's always good to see an alternative point of view :)

Luckily my children are all older now, so a pneumatic drill wouldn't wake them :laughing:

If they do get woken up when children arrive, they tell me it's me and my loud voice that they hear :blush:

kellyskidz!
30-07-2013, 10:38 AM
My dd4 gets woken up at 6.45 too by noisy parents and kids bless her.
She's usually ok with it but the other week she was like a walking zombie and she had school all day, I felt really bad for her, teachers said she'd been tired and she fell asleep on the sofa as soon as she got in
It can't really be helped though, apart from me sending her to bed half an hour earlier, which I have been doing
I also answer the door with finger on lips and say to child being dropped off (5yo) lets quietly do this or that because T is asleep. Usually we have a quite story because the child is also sleepy at that time in a morn so I'd suggest doing a quiet activity first off :)
Good luck with whatever you decide to do xx

lizduncan72
30-07-2013, 10:38 AM
I had one child who came at 7.15 every morning, running down the road shouting and screaming, I told him every morning to be quiet as he would wake the neighbours, mum's response-we're up so its time they were too!!!!! One of many things which led to me giving notice :(

bunyip
30-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Not annoyed. It's an interesting viewpoint and a new aspect on the debate.

Of course, running our own business doesn't give us the right to allow things that might be regarded as public nuisance. In fact, we become largely responsible for any noise generated as the result of comings and goings around our premises. This is the same sort of thing as noise around pubs and clubs. It is obviously on a very different scale, but it could still result in a neighbour seeking a noise abatement order or raising a complaint which might ultimately lead the LA to demand a planning notice. But I think for most of us, it's more about good relationships with the peoplewho live near us.

i don't know if 0700 would be considered particularly early. I have more of a problem with our neighbours who have parties until well beyond midnight, especially as Mrs Bunyip has to be up at 0400 most days to go to work (and therefore I have to be up earlier to put the kettle on or face her wrath. :p )

Glad you raised the point, Kats. :thumbsup:

candy cat
30-07-2013, 11:43 AM
You make a good point Kate, I don't mind talking and really don't expect total silence.....even got outdoor posters by my front door to encourage chat, but it's the shouting and arguing which is the pain and it's obviously not just my children, but my neighbour works nights and is probably just dropping off and then there is mum shouting or child screaming like they have lost an arm.....guess everyone is different in what they class as respecting others etc personally I wouldn't let my children out to play in the garden before 9am .......lady down the road lets hers play out at 7....
Oh and Bunyip and I have made friends now lol shows how one can read things and take them the wrong way :0)

Thanks everyone :0)

Emra81
30-07-2013, 11:49 AM
The cm my daughter used to go to had a little sign stuck to the front door level with the doorbell when kids were asleep...'please don't ring the doorbell, children sleeping'. Worked a treat because you then automatically did a secret squirrel knock and whispered when she opened the door. I magpied that idea straight away!

Bumble Beez
30-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Actually I'm the same...I start at 7 and my boys are normally all awake, dressed and ready for the breakfast routine ;)
I feel that they should be up and ready because if I was working anywhere other than at home I would need them up and organised anyway...
I do speak to parents about being quiet at drop off and collection times and to be considerate when parking etc...and we're never in the garden until after school run times.
So I'm not annoyed, actually I'm glad someone sees it that same way as me!!

Sarah x

Maza
30-07-2013, 12:23 PM

I kind of agree with you, which is why I have put off telling one rather loud family that they are, well, rather loud! My problem is that I live in a first floor flat and I have to open the main door downstairs which is right outside the ground floor flat. Seriously, this family have the loudest voices since creation. I try speaking in a quiet voice as they are making their way in but they are oblivious. They are so lovely and I don't want to make them feel awkward but it is about getting the balance right.

bunyip
30-07-2013, 01:19 PM
You make a good point Kate, I don't mind talking and really don't expect total silence.....even got outdoor posters by my front door to encourage chat, but it's the shouting and arguing which is the pain and it's obviously not just my children, but my neighbour works nights and is probably just dropping off and then there is mum shouting or child screaming like they have lost an arm.....guess everyone is different in what they class as respecting others etc personally I wouldn't let my children out to play in the garden before 9am .......lady down the road lets hers play out at 7....
Oh and Bunyip and I have made friends now lol shows how one can read things and take them the wrong way :0)

Thanks everyone :0)

:D Yes, but let's hope FussyElmo doesn't see this. She could get jealous and come over all 'Bunny Boiler' on me. :D

charlottenash
30-07-2013, 01:24 PM
I love the sign on doorbell wish I had that when my son was a baby!

kellib
30-07-2013, 01:37 PM
I have one LO who arrives at half 7, I live in a flat so have asked parents to press the service button to let themselves into building in the holidays rather than pushing buzzer which in turn wakes me son.

I personally feel that the least he deserves is a lie in during the school holidays, he puts up with a lot with other children here.

blue bear
30-07-2013, 02:25 PM
We solved it by using the back door, the door leading through to the stairs remains shut and so reduces the noise travelling upstairs. It also solved the problem of parents chatting at the bottom of the stairs and my lot not being able to go to the bathroom which is a the top of the stairs.

FussyElmo
30-07-2013, 02:47 PM
:D Yes, but let's hope FussyElmo doesn't see this. She could get jealous and come over all 'Bunny Boiler' on me. :D

Bunny boiler who moi :littleangel::littleangel:

weedotes
30-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Hi I'm new to the forum but been minding for 24 years and this thread made me chuckle .
I sometimes asked loud parents to shush a little as rest of my family worked in hotel industry and may have been up til 3 in morning ,most wer v understanding and I assured them it was only at door and hall and we could play properly in playroom . But the funny thing is I now have my daughters children sometimes and my other daughters daughters have declared her 'noisiest parent ever ' she waits til kids are in playroom and calls Bye to them . Her sisters gasp "Does she not remember what it was like to have your morning off shattered ? " Not an answer to your dilemma sorry but you have my sympathies !