PDA

View Full Version : Working with schools?

miss mopple
09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Has anyone had talks with their local primary schools about information sharing etc when the EYFS comes in?

I am planning on approaching my primary school head in the very near future and asking if they have any plans in place to liase with local childminders (which I doubt because as far as I know there are only 3 of us that service the school and the other 2 don't have a clue where EYFS is concerned )

I have a good relationship with the school as my eldest went there and I have a mindee there already and a one due to start in sept, so I'm hoping I won't get fobbed off, and I want them to know that I am serious about what I do and want to work with them.

TBH though I am struggling to think of a simple practical way to share info. Yes I could put a book in mindees bag for us both to contribute to, but I don;t think the teacher would remember/have time.

So does anyone have any suggestions, before I go and make a complete fool of myself :blush: ?

sarah707
09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
I intend to ask for copies of the curriculum they are following ...

Also updates on anything important I need to know ... like any 'wow' moments.

I will also ask them what systems they have put in place to keep me informed ...

That will hopefully give them the chance to encourage me to be involved and, if their answer is less than helpful, I will ask when they will have something in place so I can come back and see them ...

Then I will document the conversations and put them with my 'sharing information' policies, so I am clear - and Ofsted when they see them - that I have tried and the responses I got.

Hope this helps :D

Twinkles
09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I approached our nursery today my mindee M will start in September. They looked most bemused at my request at information sharing and I invited myself to the parents info evening tomorrow.
I'm hoping for some documentation so at least ofsted can see that I've tried.

wendywu
09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
My nursery and school said they will give me a copy of all their planning and all the news letters. So we are up and running.:)

christine e
09-07-2008, 09:12 PM
To be honest I have always had a good working relationship with the nursery and foundation stage staff at local school. I just spend 5 minutes now and again chatting about what child is doing in nursery and with me, we have always worked together on any problems and shared acheivments so all I need to do is start recording these chats. I also mind the children of the nursery teacher which helps and she always sees that I get a copy of any newsletters and she gets the opportunity of seeing the children who are at her nursery in my setting.

Cx

mjw
09-07-2008, 09:19 PM
My problem is I mind 9 children and all those who go to preschool go to different ones....some over 40 minutes away. All my mindees arel part time with me and go to preschool on other days. I doubt very much that I will be able to work with all these settings. I will try to speak to the parents to get duplicate newsletters from them.
Mary

miss mopple
10-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Thanks folks. Its good to know that some of you are all sorted already :thumbsup:

Think I'll have a word with the reception teacher this morning when I drop my mindee off. Was going to try yesterday but it was bucketing down so she was hiding in the classroom.

teacake2
10-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I was also looking for some advice with this please, one of my little ones will be going the the local school nursery in September, but the problem I have is the child's mother will be taking and collecting him and then dropping him off to me, can I use his mother to relay information to me and vice versa or do I have to contact the nursery. I could do this in writing or by telephone but to be honest I don't think the telephone option would work. I do not go to school/nursery/pre-school at all now due to circumstances and wondered is anyone else in the same situation, and if so what will you do?
Thanks
Teacake2

miss mopple
10-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Not sure how you could deal with that one teacake.

I had a really positive meeting with the head this afternoon and she was ever so pleased that I had brought it up :clapping: . She wanted to know if I was interested in meetings like they have with the local pre schools that feed into there and if I could give her details of other minders who service the school and we can set something up :thumbsup: . Trouble is I think I am the only one that covers that school so they may be intimate meetings :laughing: Atually, there is another lady but she hasn't got a clue about EYFS and isn't terribly interested :rolleyes:

Have given her my network co ordinators details too so hopefully we can get something official rolling soon :thumbsup:

She certainly seemed to want to take it into more detail than just sharing newsletters etc so I'm really pleased I bit the bullet and approached her :D