PDA

View Full Version : SCMA training

Ally Mac
28-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Hi this is my first post. I'm looking into becoming a childminder and I am wondering if I need to do the SCMA training /work book? Or can I just get on with my application? Also is there anything in the SCMA getting started book that I can't get online?

doris127
29-07-2013, 08:00 AM
If the scma induction training is available in your area it would be a good idea - it would give you chance to talk and discuss your plans with others and you will get lots of ideas. If not then I'm sure the workbook might help. I haven't seen it so can't say for sure. The information pack is useful - they have some good publications to help you. If you do want to try and do it yourself and research online just make sure you ensure it is relevant to you - and Scotland. We have different requirements up here from childminders in England. A lot of the theory is transferable but Ofsted and the Care Inspectorate are quite different. There have been a few instances where prospective childminders have copied and pasted policies they have found online and been caught out because of all the references to Ofsted!

lynncjt
29-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Hi, I'm in Scotland and did pay for the work book but in the end did the course as well (1 evening a week for 6 weeks). Really glad I did as I found out so much more, and they put on an extra session with the Care Inspectorate and HMRC which was really useful. It was great to be able to ask questions and have discussions.

Also our council give us a grant but only if we have been on the course.

Ally Mac
29-07-2013, 07:39 PM
I'd struggle to get child are to do the course so it'd be the work book for me. Do you still have yours? I'd be happy to buy it off you. Do you need to show CI proof you have completed the book?

lynncjt
29-07-2013, 09:02 PM
I'll have a look, it's over a year ago so not sure. CI don't mind whether you do the course or not.

sprinkles
30-07-2013, 07:24 AM
I went through registration process last year and I did the booklets you do at home. Check with your local SCMA DO, I didn't have to pay for my booklets I don't think. After you have completed the induction pack you get your membership for SCMA for the first year free, or I did anyway.

Which area are you in?

Mikiec
08-08-2013, 09:43 PM
I registered last year as well. I did the SCMA induction training as they had tacked the child protection course onto the end which SCSWIS were happy with.
It's each to their own but I would recommend meeting with your development officer from SCMA for a chat as they will be able to guide you through your application and to help you with any points you are stuck on. Good luck with your reg.