PDA

View Full Version : Register with Chief Fire Officer?

Newtochildcare
28-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi,

I feel really silly asking as I feel I should know this, :blush: especially as I am so close now....(got my pre reg next week! :panic:) But do I need to have a visit from the chief fire officer to ensure my home is fire safe?

Thanks

Claire

Rick
28-07-2013, 07:10 PM
I haven't had to do that. You shouldn't need to :thumbsup:

Bumble Beez
28-07-2013, 07:19 PM
I have never had a visit done and I've been minding for eight years :)

Sarah x

Daisy De
28-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Never had that in 20 years, it's not a requirement is it?

Newtochildcare
28-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for replying everyone. Well, that's what I thought, but I was talking to a friend of mine, who remembered that when she had an appointment with her sons childminder, the appointment was cancelled because she had a meeting with the fire officer?? I've also just ordered my fire blanket - am I right in thinking that I don't need an extinguisher too? x

Bumble Beez
28-07-2013, 07:35 PM
I don't have an extinguisher...I was told that its not necessary plus you have different colours for different types of fires ect... and as long as we have a fire blanket all is good!!

Sarah x

FussyElmo
28-07-2013, 07:39 PM
No you don't but you can request a safety check from the fire brigade. They will come to your house if you are really lucky in the fire engine and offer fire safety advice :thumbsup:

No you don't need a fire extinguisher - remember if the you need to use one the advice is to get out and ring the fire brigade to deal with it :thumbsup:

mpullen17387
28-07-2013, 07:40 PM
It is not compulsory!.. But you can ask them to come out and plan an evacuation procedure for you, however they can charge for this.. You will have to have your evacuation policy already for pre reg so you don't need it, good luck with visit.. I have mine on Tuesday xxx

KaicosMummy
28-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Just after I registered I called the fire brigade and requested a home safety check, any member of the public can do this for free, they are likely to charge if they know you are a business, simply dont tell them, cheeky but necessary as start up costs can be high!! I had a lovely fire officer come round, fitted me two safety gates, all child safe window locks, two fire alarms, fire guard, fire risk assessed my house and garden all for free. This was because we were a family with two young children, they can refuse or say you are jot high risk or priority, but they generally dont x

sarah707
28-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Are you in Scotland newtochildcare? I believe it is a requirement there! :D

lizduncan72
29-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Are you in Scotland newtochildcare? I believe it is a requirement there! :D

It's not a requirement in Scotland, it's just that SCSWIS have stopped inspecting fire safety and have handed that bit over to the Fire Service- means we could have a visit from the fire brigade to inspect us :) exciting thought :) lol Unfortunately they've never felt the need to send a load of hunky firemen to inspect me :( If you phone up though they will send them out to do a check-we got a visit from some lovely guys and got great photos of the kids in the fire engine wearing their helmets :)