PDA

View Full Version : Overnight care

Simona
28-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Can any cm who does overnight care help with a few questions please?

I may have to do overnight care for 2 children both over 8 years of age
Does one charge normal fees until bedtime? what is the charge when the children are asleep and I am on standby while trying to sleep myself?

seriously...sounds daft but I have no idea...never done it before but it does appeal if it is once in a while
I suppose I will have to ring Ofsted and tell them...dread the thought of having to select so many option when you ring them and having to go through all their factsheets

Thanks you in advance for any tips!!

FussyElmo
28-07-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't offer it but im sure someone who does will be along soon :thumbsup:

kellyskidz!
28-07-2013, 06:31 PM
I also don't offer ON care, so I'm sorry I can't help, but I am looking into maybe doing it so will be watching this post with interest xx

Chatterbox Childcare
28-07-2013, 06:48 PM
When I did this I charged normal rate to bedtime and then £50 overnight until 7 and then normal rates from there on.

Simona
30-07-2013, 06:14 AM
Well well...I was expecting a flood of advice on this even from those who do not offer overnight care but would have an idea what they would charge if ever they were asked??

thank you Chatterbox I think what you suggest is good

sarah707
30-07-2013, 06:43 AM
A friend offers it - she charges normal fees for her normal working day until 6pm and then an overnight flat rate. Her day fees pick up again at 8am.

She has a full RA as required by Ofsted - even for older ones - and has informed Ofsted - although technically you won't need to if the children are in the Childcare Register remit it's best to let them know.

Hth :D

Mrsh3103
30-07-2013, 06:44 AM
I've been thinking about doing overnight care too. I think normal fee until bedtime then £50 overnight sounds quite reasonable. Do you give baths?

Simona
30-07-2013, 06:58 AM
A friend offers it - she charges normal fees for her normal working day until 6pm and then an overnight flat rate. Her day fees pick up again at 8am.

She has a full RA as required by Ofsted - even for older ones - and has informed Ofsted - although technically you won't need to if the children are in the Childcare Register remit it's best to let them know.

Hth :D

Thanks Sarah..it certainly helps
I will call Ofsted and clarify

shortstuff
30-07-2013, 07:07 AM
sorry ive only just seen this.

I did overnight in a very unusual situation.

I charges my normal £3.50 until 6pm and then put the rate up to £5 till 7am.

I completed an RA and informed ofsted as they then know you are doing overnight care.

Do you have a fire escape plan which incorporates escape from upstairs? Also remember to ask the parents if the children need lights on over night and all of the stuff which we wouldnt normally know. Also bedtime routine at home such as do they have a story?

children are cheeky and will tell you this and that happen at home and it makes you doubt youself so best to ask before hand i found.

appleblossom
30-07-2013, 01:34 PM
I actually charge a lower hourly rate for the overnight hours, n the basis that the child is asleep most of the time. I have been doing overnight care one night a week for a 2 yo for just over a year. I charge the normal rate of £3.50 per hour up to 6pm when he normally goes home. Then £3.00 per hour 6pm to 8am (when he normally arrives), which works out at £42.00 for 6pm to 8am. Then from 8am the normal rate again. I September the LO is booked in for 2 consecutive nights as his Mum has to go away with work.

I started this when Ofsted wanted notification that CMs were providing overnight care and it is on my certificate; but that is no longer necessary, you just do the RA.

Simona
30-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Thank you both...wonderful tips and advice!!