PDA

View Full Version : Upcycled Tyre Planters

Tealady
28-07-2013, 01:13 PM
A local independent tyre place is upcycling old tyres into these planters and is selling them to childcare settings. I've have two but can't think what to plant in them given we are half way through July already.

Any of you green fingered types have any ideas? Is it too late for any edibles? Happy to buy plants rather than seeds if need be.

Also, if you are in the Reading area and want a couple too I'll PM you the details

FussyElmo
28-07-2013, 02:23 PM
They look fab :-D

Chimps Childminding
28-07-2013, 02:28 PM
They look fab :-D

I agree!!! Can't help with what to plant as not green fingered at all, but love them!!!:thumbsup:

miffy
28-07-2013, 02:50 PM
That looks great, shame I'm nowhere near Reading!

Do you want to grow things to eat or flowers? If you want quick growing crops then there's still time to plant some different lettuces.

I'd probably go for some sensory plants either herbs or things like lavender or cat mint.

Miffy xx

Kiddleywinks
28-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Pop down your local garden center, ours are already selling off flower and veggie plants for bargain prices

Fab idea for the tyres though - off to see if my local tyre place could do something similar

Louise_Oaktree
29-07-2013, 02:33 PM
strawberry plants? They'll fruit next year if not this year.

Bumble Beez
29-07-2013, 03:56 PM
OMG...I love those!! They would look awesome in my garden...if I could find space lol!
Best I talk nicely to hubby to see if he can rustle something like that up :laughing:

If you wanna grow veges...ones to plant now are broad beans, asparagus, onions, spring onions, spinach, winter lettuce...

I do love the idea of a herb planter tho miffy...

donna porter
30-07-2013, 05:59 AM
I love this idea! Last night I contacted the fella that fixes my car and he's dropping round 5 tyres to me for free!!! Just gotta get hubby to cut them for me! Just gotta figure out how to paint them!

catlyn
30-07-2013, 09:12 AM
I love this idea! Last night I contacted the fella that fixes my car and he's dropping round 5 tyres to me for free!!! Just gotta get hubby to cut them for me! Just gotta figure out how to paint them!

These look fab!!v what kind of paint would you use to paint them with?? x

donna porter
30-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I read that gloss paint or emulsion is ok (although it faded after a year or so) or spray can.