PDA

View Full Version : Just after some advice about nursery

Smileyface
27-07-2013, 01:54 PM
I have a little boy aged three that will be going to nursery in September now I only have him for one day a week I will never have to take or pick him up from nursery...
Do I need any involvement in him going? I.e paper work?
Thank you in advance
He will be attending two days nursery

moggy
27-07-2013, 02:05 PM
You need to be able to show you are 'working in partnership' with the nursery, to show you are linking what he is doing there with what he is doing with you etc.

At first talk to parents about 'working in partnership with nursery. Then get in contact with manager and ask who key person is, introducing yourself with a letter prepared by yourself and signed by you AND parents to show parents give permission to talk about the child. Then ask for a meeting to share LJs/progress review/next steps that you are doing and ask if there is anything you can do to help child settle in at nursery.

Now, they may not get back to you and may not be interested in talking to you BUT by doing all the above you are showing you are doing your best and that is what Ofsted need to know.

May be they will be cooperative and you may get a good dialogue going which will benefit everyone.

Good luck

sarah707
28-07-2013, 09:13 PM
As moggy advises, you need parents' permission to share and then find out what you can about what the child does there - link planning where possible and support the child's learning there :D

rickysmiths
28-07-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm afraid I wouldn't do anything for one day a week and never stepping inside the Nursery.

I have had a boy with me for 2.5 years and when he had been with me for six months he was put in a Day Nursery one day a week and with me 3 days a week. I have never had any contact from the Day Nursery to work with me as I am the main carer and should they not have contacted me? His sister is going for one day a week in Sept and I haven't had anyone contact me and again I am the main carer. The lad goes to school Nursery in Sept and again as I am going to be the main carer I have had no one contact me.

It all seems to be very one sided to me. Why is it always the Childminder's who do all the running. In the last 10 years with all the children I have cared for only one Pre School has ever shown an interest and has shared information. I have been in and out of 3 schools, 2 pre schools and had children in 2 local day nurseries and only one has shown the slightest interest. One school Reception Teacher, 2 years ago told me in no uncertain terms, that it was none of my business what the child was doing in school and she would not discuss it with me if I wanted to know I would have to ask the parent. This was a Reception Class that was inspected and got Outstanding. Why aren't Ofsted asking for evidence from them that they are working with Childminders?

catswhiskers
28-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Know what you mean Rickysmiths!

I've sent paperwork with photos etc. on children to two nurseries in the past and asking for any feedback, and on each occasion I was the main childcare provider (3/4 days). Never heard a thing back. I tried a few times with signed stuff etc. and tried to talk to the workers. These nurseries then went on to get a good and an outstanding for communication with other agencies? I know that I was the only childminder involved with the children.

At least I could prove my side of the paperwork and at my last inspection got an outstanding.

More important things in life have happened to me since though and I would be gobsmacked if a pre-school, nursery or kindergarten contacted me about a mindee!