PDA

View Full Version : Picnics - what does everyone pack in their picnics during the summer hols?

VeggieSausage
26-07-2013, 08:14 AM
I take fruit and sandwiches, then I get a bit bored with things like rice cakes all the time......what does everyone do?

supermumy
26-07-2013, 08:26 AM
We pack
fruit and veg sticks. Crisp
raisins Cheese cubes
biscuits Bread sticks with dip
sandwiches Boiled eggs halfed
yogurts Cocktail sausages
sausage rolls
chicken dippers

This isn't all at once lmao just some ideas what we do.

Nicola Carlyle
26-07-2013, 08:28 AM
- Sandwiches/rolls
- Cucumber sticks
- Carrot sticks
- Pepper sticks
- Fruit that can be eater the way it comes
- Berries
- Biscuits
- Treats (maybe a little cake or something)
- Big bottle of drink
- Cups to drink out of
- WET WIPES!!!!!!!

FussyElmo
26-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Sandwiches/wraps
Fruit
Biscuits
Crisps
Sausage rolls
Pork pies
Pasta
Cake
Chicken legs

christine e
26-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Cold pasta, slices of pizza,

Sometimes let the children make up their own pasta salad before we go out - give them each a small plastic box (like the ones yu get from chinese take away)
put out a bowl of cold pasta, then small bowls or plates of cucumber, sweetcorn, grated carrot etc, then cheese, tuna, ham etc and tell them they can have some of everything if they like or just the ones they like but say they have to have some salad/veg and they have to have at least one of the protein dishes.
It works quite well as they often have a try of something they are not sure about eg radish and generally they put quite a bit in their dishes and eat it all.
I also offer tomato sauce or mayo to add to it. Just pop the lid on and we are ready to go (just remember to take fork or spoon to eat it with tho:laughing:)

bindy
26-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Sandwiches
chicken bites/satay
cucumber sticks
tomato
cheese strings
crisps/pomm bears
yogurt
strawberry's
banana
biscuits
wet wipes
flask of tea!!
water bottles
A picnic baskets( with ice packs) plates etc /napkins/

loocyloo
26-07-2013, 02:42 PM
I do lots of the above plus frozen yogurt tubes ... they help keep everything cold & fresh and are still cold and sometimes a bit frozen when we eat them. ( if they've gone soft and are warm we wouldn't eat them, but never had that happen yet. )

I usually take the cucumber, tomatoes and fruit whole, and take a knife with me to cut it when we eat it.

we've been out for a picnic today and I forgot my flask of tea :(!

shortstuff
26-07-2013, 02:46 PM
we've just had a picnic today too.

we took ham and cheese bagels,
crisps
muffins
flapjack
squash and fruit

all still good when we got to eat it all

Although none of mine that were with me today are big eaters. DS is also so fussy its always a job to take things he will actually eat lol

The Juggler
26-07-2013, 03:08 PM
some kind of sandwich(pitta, bread, rolls)
hard boiled eggs
cocktail sausages
humus and cucumer and carrot
fruit
yoghurts/biscuit
drinks

:thumbsup:

babs
26-07-2013, 04:10 PM
a mixture of wraps , pittas, sandwiches or baps.
cooked cold turkey, chicken, ham,
cocktail sausages
mini sausage rolls or scotch eggs
lumps of cheese
potato salad n coleslaw
pasta
carrot, cucumber, pepper and celery sticks cut up mixed in a tub
baby tomatoes
fruit: grapes, cherries, strawberries, apple, melon cut up mixed in a tub
bread sticks
water and juice
crisps
sometimes individual wrapped cakes .

cheap loaf for ducks
blanket, freezer box, bat n ball , bubbles, football , spare suncream, towel, wetones, antibac gel oh and a toilet roll and moist toilet wipes.. ( all these are kept in my boot though summer)

Maza
26-07-2013, 06:09 PM
We've just had a picnic at the beach today. DD is off sandwiches so we took pasta and pesto, cherries, melon pieces, breadsticks and biscuits. Oh, and a mini pork pie for me. Mmmmmmm.

smurfette
26-07-2013, 07:02 PM

Sometimes let the children make up their own pasta salad before we go out - give them each a small plastic box (like the ones yu get from chinese take away)
put out a bowl of cold pasta, then small bowls or plates of cucumber, sweetcorn, grated carrot etc, then cheese, tuna, ham etc and tell them they can have some of everything if they like or just the ones they like but say they have to have some salad/veg and they have to have at least one of the protein dishes.
It works quite well as they often have a try of something they are not sure about eg radish and generally they put quite a bit in their dishes and eat it all.
I also offer tomato sauce or mayo to add to it. Just pop the lid on and we are ready to go (just remember to take fork or spoon to eat it with tho:laughing:)

Like this! Great idea

SYLVIA
26-07-2013, 07:11 PM
We have a combination of most of the things mentioned. Mine love Quorn snack eggs.The LO have lunch box and bag that they pack ready to go. This way I can see how much each one has eaten as I have a few who don't eat too much. And my trusty flask of hot water some spoonfuls of coffee and a couple of tea bags. My flask was bought for me as an 18th birthday present and is still working perfectly (I'm now 55!)

MessybutHappy
26-07-2013, 11:46 PM
I freeze cartons of juice too, no need for freezer packs so more room for food!

Fab here is sausages kept warm in a food flask with rolls, or the little pasties. Quick and easy!

Twinkling Stars
27-07-2013, 05:42 AM
I love all these ideas! :-)

Telabelle
27-07-2013, 08:29 AM
I sometimes add mini veg samosas too. Oh and paper plates if I'm feeling extravagant. These usually end up being drawn on, folded etc, which adds another creative element to the day!

Chatterbox Childcare
27-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Usually take:

rolls/wraps/sandwiches - alternate it and make it the night before so it is cold
Carrot Sticks
Tomato
Cuecumber
Fruit - x 2 (always cut up the strawberries before I go as they make 1 big mess otherwise)
Cake
Frozen Yoghurt Tubes
Crisps
Cake

Biscuits and cheese/crackers for snacks

If we are out for the day in addition to the extra drinks I freeze cartons and they are defrosted as we are going home so nice and cold

I also take plates, cups, plastic bag for the rubbish, wipes, anti bac gel and picnic blankets

miffy
28-07-2013, 03:25 PM

Love this idea Christine :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

christine e
28-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Love this idea Christine :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

They really enjoy preparing their own little boxes