PDA

View Full Version : OU Early Years Degree query

Gem wright
25-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Hello, I am starting my early years degree through the open university in October. I am just wondering if anyone else is also doing this or done it. Just really would like to know about the work load, how you manage working and family with studying and what studying with the OU is like.
Really nervous and excited at the same time. Also any recommendations for books or websites would be really helpful thanks.

WibbleWobble
25-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Hello, I am starting my early years degree through the open university in October. I am just wondering if anyone else is also doing this or done it. Just really would like to know about the work load, how you manage working and family with studying and what studying with the OU is like.
Really nervous and excited at the same time. Also any recommendations for books or websites would be really helpful thanks.

I stated the ey degree and have transferred to the BA childhood and youth. I am half way through - 3 modules done of 6. It is hard work but addictive .

Don't look at any books etc as ou want you to use their material only.

Advice would be keep up with your timetable. The website will tell you where you should be at each week. Try and get to the tutorials. These will help with the TMAs ( tutor marked assignments)

I work 4 days a week ( Mondays I just have schoolies) during term time but 5 days holidays. I manage to get it all done.

Don't forget you can pm me any time and I will help.

I take it you are doing the E100? It's a lovely course, I really enjoyed it.

Wibble xxxxxx

The Juggler
25-07-2013, 09:16 PM
i didnt' do OU but did the FD, then top up year at college then uni. It was hard. I know people on my course who scraped a pass with very little prep or reading and maybe one resubmit of an essay.

Realistically I reckon about 8-10 hours reading/writing per week to get a good pass. It's hard work but well, well worth the learning and experience. 3 years after passing I have just got a school based teacher training place in early years. :thumbsup:

emma04
26-07-2013, 07:07 AM
I've just completed my foundation degree in early years and got a merit! Was very pleased as I managed to work 40hrs a week during both years and study for 5 GCSE's at the same time in my final year!

If you organise and timetable everything, it'll be fine x

I start my top up in September and am still awaiting my GCSE results, roll on 22/8!

The Juggler
26-07-2013, 07:17 AM
I've just completed my foundation degree in early years and got a merit! Was very pleased as I managed to work 40hrs a week during both years and study for 5 GCSE's at the same time in my final year!

If you organise and timetable everything, it'll be fine x

I start my top up in September and am still awaiting my GCSE results, roll on 22/8!

5GCSE's as well as your FD - i am seriously impressed? what ones did you do :clapping::clapping::clapping: I'm guessing maths, english and science?

emma04
26-07-2013, 07:55 AM
5GCSE's as well as your FD - i am seriously impressed? what ones did you do :clapping::clapping::clapping: I'm guessing maths, english and science?

Yes, maths, English and all three sciences separately.
However, I'm not confident about science or maths (never been any good at either!) so have booked in for re-sits in January, but will only do Biology and maths rather than all the sciences again.
You only need 1 science to do the PGCE, but I wanted to give all three a go, just to give me an idea of my knowledge and to bring it all back!!
Might scrape through with maths but being cautious!

Gem wright
26-07-2013, 12:22 PM
I stated the ey degree and have transferred to the BA childhood and youth. I am half way through - 3 modules done of 6. It is hard work but addictive .

Don't look at any books etc as ou want you to use their material only.

Advice would be keep up with your timetable. The website will tell you where you should be at each week. Try and get to the tutorials. These will help with the TMAs ( tutor marked assignments)

I work 4 days a week ( Mondays I just have schoolies) during term time but 5 days holidays. I manage to get it all done.

Don't forget you can pm me any time and I will help.

I take it you are doing the E100? It's a lovely course, I really enjoyed it.

Wibble xxxxxx

Hello wibble.

Thank you for your help, can I ask why you changed from ey to childhood? I was looking at that one too......

Are the tutorials online or something to attend.?

Yes E100 first, really excited about getting started, but really nervous too about juggling everything and hoping its more interesting then difficult lol xx

Gem wright
26-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys.....

I'm really excited about getting started, took from your advice to stick to my timetable lol.

Thanks all. Xx