PDA

View Full Version : Our own appointments?

Tinkerbell1979
25-07-2013, 07:13 PM
So, I have a dentist appointment booked for a cracked tooth, in agony. Do people take the mindees along? I have a 17m and 20m with me, bit worried how they will behave sitting in the double buggy but can't afford to take time off for a dentist appointment?

Opinions?

Bumble Beez
25-07-2013, 07:24 PM
I take mindees to appointments etc...something's I have to, some things I choose to...
For your situation I would say its unavoidable, if you're in that much pain then it's better for the LO's to sit in buggy while you get it sorted than you not be able to work or struggle because of the pain.
That's what I would do :)

Sarah x

blue bear
25-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I've taken them, the children love it, dentist always gives them a sticker and says how good they always are.

The Juggler
25-07-2013, 09:01 PM
i had an interview recently and it cost me a fortune for the day off. then i had a hospital appt. i gave all the parents the option for me not to take the children but told them if they couldn't take time off then I would take them and hubby was comign along to help. It would have crippled me to have taken 2 days off in the same month.

they all asked me to take children with me. I couldnt have done it without help from dh though and we went through lots of fruit and breadsticks :laughing::laughing:

AliceK
26-07-2013, 06:48 AM
I usually take children with me to appointments and have taken 5 to a dental appointment with me before. They all sat on the floor in the surgery lined up against the wall. But when I had to have a tooth out in an emergency I took my OH along and they sat in the waiting room with him. I asked all parents if they were happy with this and they all said of course they were.
Good luck with your tooth, there's nothing worse than toothache

xx

Angela234
26-07-2013, 07:00 AM
I haven't took mindee's to any appointment I have hospital test next week had to take day off
Perhaps I might look at taking them next time I do have one little boy who would cling to me or scream in different place especially with a man in the room
I think it depends on the appointment what its for and the children you have that day and if the parents are happy.
Theres no room for buggy in our dentist.

maisiemog
26-07-2013, 07:21 AM
I've taken them with me before. Given the choice between having me take them or having to figure out childcare I know all my parents would choose me taking them!

~Grasshopper~
26-07-2013, 07:25 AM
i take mine to mw and dental apps. i just check with the parents first and ive never had a problem. plenty of raisons and drinks usually helps but i find they love going somewhere new x

bunyip
26-07-2013, 09:01 AM
I've taken mindees to appointments before now, but always make sure I get clients' permission before I book the appointment. I can see how a client might be miffed about paying me to what they have to do in their own time.

One parent commented it actually helps the child to see that doctor/dentists trips are 'normal' and don't have to be scary, so they'll probably be calmer when they have to go there. :thumbsup:

One mindee sat and laughed at me whilst I was in the dentist's chair. It seems I have a little sadist on my books. :p

tashaleee
26-07-2013, 09:57 AM
I actually dont take them with me to dentists for the simple reason I can totally freak out and have issues - so it wouldnt be a good impression for mindees :laughing:

However I do have an assistant - so they can be in the waiting room with my assistant and I make sure its towards the end of the day so assistant (DH) might only have to watch one for my while Im in the room :thumbsup:

Tinkerbell1979
26-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Those who had DH help, is he an assistant??

Tinkerbell1979
26-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I now have a 50 minute root canal treatment, no idea what parents would say, one is a nightmare anyway!

Also if they work then most parents get paid whilst having dentist and doctors appointments so can't see why they would be miffed paying me whilst I'm there!!

Tinkerbell1979
26-07-2013, 10:46 AM
What would others do/suggest?

AliceK
26-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Those who had DH help, is he an assistant??

No my OH isn't my assistant but seeing as he was sitting outside in the waiting area, literally the other side of the door to the surgery room where I was and he's CRB checked (obviously) and I had parents permission I can't see why it would be a problem. Plus it was an emergency so the only other option would be for me to close for an hour. I think the parents were just relieved that I didn't close and even managed to keep on working until the end of day after just having a tooth out. Wouldn't recommend it though :panic:

xxxx

clareelizabeth1
26-07-2013, 12:29 PM
I've. Taken lots of mindies to appointments always go armed with my i pad just encase the worst case they end up watching cartoons for a bit.

Louise_Oaktree
26-07-2013, 01:08 PM
No my OH isn't my assistant but seeing as he was sitting outside in the waiting area, literally the other side of the door to the surgery room where I was and he's CRB checked (obviously) and I had parents permission I can't see why it would be a problem. Plus it was an emergency so the only other option would be for me to close for an hour. I think the parents were just relieved that I didn't close and even managed to keep on working until the end of day after just having a tooth out. Wouldn't recommend it though :panic:

xxxx

I'm afraid Ofsted wouldn't agree with this which is why my husband is now registered as my assistant.

As for appointments yes I take mindees if the appointment is a check up but for dental work no - I think it would be too much for a child to be expected to sit through a 50 minute appointment and it is stressful enough going to the dentist without a load of mindees trailing behind!

tashaleee
26-07-2013, 02:23 PM
I now have a 50 minute root canal treatment, no idea what parents would say, one is a nightmare anyway!

Also if they work then most parents get paid whilst having dentist and doctors appointments so can't see why they would be miffed paying me whilst I'm there!!

Thats a long time for the age of the children you have to sit and be quiet in a buggy.... personally if you dont have an assistant then I would be tempted to ask for the last appointment of the day and ensure little ones are picked up early (and explain why to the parents). Ive had several of them (root canal) done - no way can you talk let alone give the children instructions. What would you do part way through the treatment if they started to play up, one screams because the other one has taken a toy off them, etc?

I think you have to risk assess the situation with the children you have and their ages which is very different from say and 3.5 and 4.5 year old. Perhaps you have a quieter day and you can book it for then?

WibbleWobble
26-07-2013, 03:28 PM
I took sibling mindees to the hospital for my appointment to have a week long heart monitor put on. It was a box and "dots" put on my chest. They were captivated. Little lad (3) held my hand all the time and when it was done he patted it saying " there there wibble it's all over now"

It was great they saw it put on as it was quite obvious and they saw it every day stuck on my chest.

Made me laugh though the way he looked after me!

Wibble x

nikki thomson
26-07-2013, 06:38 PM
It's one of those depends what it is, a quick dentist check up is one thing but a 50min root canal is very different, I'm not sure on that tbh.
With regards to hospital app it's a big no no from me, my dd who is 7 has an MRI scan in 2 weeks and there's no way, it's not even open to discussion, I take the day off and they like it or lump it end of.
I go on the approach of you wouldn't take your work with you to app you book the time off and that's what i do. There are exceptions, quick docs app with kids fine anything else no. X

Tinkerbell1979
26-07-2013, 07:20 PM
It's sorted, patents taking half day leave and dropping off at 12pm instead of 8am :-)

caz3007
26-07-2013, 07:43 PM

xxxx

I have done the same too. I had to have an emergency appointment before my holiday and mum said she was happy for hubby to take LO to the park, but I said no, he would wait with her in the waiting room as I don't like the Dentist. I also felt he was supervised by the receptionist if anything happened and there was no reason why he wouldn't be ok with her whilst I was in the chair

The Juggler
26-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm afraid Ofsted wouldn't agree with this which is why my husband is now registered as my assistant.

As for appointments yes I take mindees if the appointment is a check up but for dental work no - I think it would be too much for a child to be expected to sit through a 50 minute appointment and it is stressful enough going to the dentist without a load of mindees trailing behind!

i did the same with my dh recently. explained to parents that for the duration of my appointment behind the door, that dh would care for them, that he knew them and was crb'd BUT they were NOT being childminded, covered my their contract or my insurance - he was babysitting for the 10 minutes until I took over care again.

They signed and agreed to this.

Supernanny86
26-07-2013, 11:38 PM
I took mine to docs appt this week. It's just unavoidable sometimes. I knew one would be glued to me but the other one was quite happy with the toys and loved talking to the doctor. It can be good for them to see its normal and it's educational. We watched a tv prog before we went, he gained new words "doctor" "poorly" and we stuck plasters etc on teddy when home. He loved it and the doc had a toy helicopter (which is his new fav thing atm!) so it was quite a result. Plus they got stickers and one wanted a prescription just like me so the doc was happy to oblige (with a piece of paper!!)

I think it makes an interesting outing and from the start I was honest with my family and they knew I'd need either time off for appt or boys can come with. At the end of the day I'm a nanny, a home based carer not a nursery, so do everyday things with them. They'd rather this than taking time off themselves for the sake of half hour, especially as they work in Surrey and London!! :)

primula
27-07-2013, 08:25 AM
I haven't had to take mindees with me to appts, I make appts for when I am not working after 5 or on Fridays! A lot of the time it depends on the child, the one I have now wouldn't sit in the buggy for very long!

supermumy
27-07-2013, 08:59 AM
In past ive took mine to baby scans, me appts? doctors appt etc
Wouldn't for dentist don't think as I don't even like my own their whilst I'm work done lol

Supernanny86
27-07-2013, 09:40 AM
In past ive took mine to baby scans, me appts? doctors appt etc
Wouldn't for dentist don't think as I don't even like my own their whilst I'm work done lol

Dentist is another story!! I freak so wouldn't be good for kids to see that!! ;)