PDA

View Full Version : Osteopath Bills

Bambini2
25-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I have just had 4 visits to an osteopath costing a total of £152.00! Can I claim for half or would HMRC frown upon that if they actually went through my books?

supermumy
25-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I doubt you would put this in ur books as it isn't work related :)

Bambini2
25-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Wouldn't be able to work if I hadn't had treatment...also hurt back while on a childminding picnic.

carol cameron
25-07-2013, 03:30 PM
A couple of years ago I had to have treatment for a trapped nerve caused directly by stopping a child from falling face down in the middle of the road. I went to a chiropractor (brilliant) and I put the cost through my books. My account didn't query it and I would argue with HMRC if needed.
I did fill an accident form in when it happened and sought help at the doctors so it was directly attributed to that one event. Don't know if that helps at all?

Bambini2
25-07-2013, 03:43 PM
A couple of years ago I had to have treatment for a trapped nerve caused directly by stopping a child from falling face down in the middle of the road. I went to a chiropractor (brilliant) and I put the cost through my books. My account didn't query it and I would argue with HMRC if needed.
I did fill an accident form in when it happened and sought help at the doctors so it was directly attributed to that one event. Don't know if that helps at all?

Thanks. Am quite prepared to argue with HMRC.:laughing:

carol cameron
25-07-2013, 03:51 PM
I figure that the worst case scenario would be that I may have to pay tax on it if HMRC dis allowed it :o

Chatterbox Childcare
25-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Just to point out that if you put it through your books and you loose again the HMRC it might cost you more than the claim. They charge interest, backdated to when it was due, the tax and penalities and of course if they find one thing, they will go through everything. Everything being EVERY account in your house, husband and childrens included. Makes you think.

If you had treatment for a bad back before then it would be a definate now but if you had to provide medical records from your doctor and it showed then they would disallow it.

I think you would have a fight unless you know the law - hence I use an accountant? There is a lot of easier ways to claim expenses without the chance of it being disallowed so I would ask myself "do I need this really?"

Bambini2
25-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Just to point out that if you put it through your books and you loose again the HMRC it might cost you more than the claim. They charge interest, backdated to when it was due, the tax and penalities and of course if they find one thing, they will go through everything. Everything being EVERY account in your house, husband and childrens included. Makes you think.

If you had treatment for a bad back before then it would be a definate now but if you had to provide medical records from your doctor and it showed then they would disallow it.

I think you would have a fight unless you know the law - hence I use an accountant? There is a lot of easier ways to claim expenses without the chance of it being disallowed so I would ask myself "do I need this really?"

I'm not trying to diddle the taxman. I am very careful about what I try to claim ,but i am sure that other people i know have claimed for physio for injuries not necessarily caused by childminding , just general wear and tear. Now i'm over 50 some days I feel nearer 60 after a day childminding.:laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
27-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm not trying to diddle the taxman. I am very careful about what I try to claim ,but i am sure that other people i know have claimed for physio for injuries not necessarily caused by childminding , just general wear and tear. Now i'm over 50 some days I feel nearer 60 after a day childminding.:laughing:

I know that feeling :):):)