PDA

View Full Version : Redeveloping Garden/Outdoor ideas

Louise_Oaktree
25-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I am investing some money in my outdoor space and wanted to gain ideas that have worked well for other Childminders. At the moment it is patio with steps down to grassed area. We have bikes, cars and scooters on the patio and planters for vegetables and herbs. I am interested in ideas that will withstand the british weather and that will last. I am planning on investing in large play equipment with slide and swing and a large blackboard on the fence. I am considering a wooden playhouse but have also seen a willow den which may be more natural and in-keeping with the garden.

Also what have people grown outside with success? Potatoes and strawberries seem to do well but I have quite a few planters to fill :)

miffy
25-07-2013, 10:07 PM
There are other threads on outdoor play with ideas

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/115552-developing-your-outside-space-budget.html

We've also grown tomatoes in a hanging basket, sunflowers, lavender and rhubarb. We tried lettuce but the slugs got to it before we did!

Miffy xx

sarah707
26-07-2013, 02:53 PM
We grow flowers and herbs with the children every year they love it - until the slugs eat them :rolleyes:

We have been looking at very flexible zoned spaces to help keep the little ones safe from the footballers and bike riders - we also get toys out on rotation so children try new things and that's been very successful.

Good storage is a must - if you are looking to invest a sturdy shed is the first thing I would advise :D

Louise_Oaktree
26-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks there are some really good ideas, I like the drainpipe idea but wonder if I would get fed up of looking at it when I'm relaxing after a hard day :rolleyes: