PDA

View Full Version : Those of you that use upstairs

sprinkles
25-07-2013, 11:59 AM
What do you have in your evacuation plan for if there's a fire? Fire officer coming to visit on Monday to see what I need in place to move the playroom upstairs and I guess he's going to ask what my plan would be if there was a fire?

emma04
25-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Same as for my own family:

Smoke alarms in working order
Window keys in an accessible place in each room
All children spoken to appropriate to age regarding what to do:
Go into bedroom
Close door tight
Put bedding at bottom of door
Stand at the window
Open window if possible (this is hard as windows are locked for safety and keys are where only I can reach!-but with any luck I'll be up there anyway)

You can only plan so much, I do a drill now and again:
I set off the smoke alarm and we all do what we're supposed to. We leave the house via different exits each time (as practice)
I grab the "who's here today" sheet along with my mobile phone.

I try to avoid calling it a "fire" drill, I call it our emergency game.
The thought of fire can cause little ones to fret and have nightmares!

sing-low
25-07-2013, 01:58 PM
I like 'emergency game' - I'll be using that from now on!

You also need to think about what you'd do if children were upstairs and you were downstairs (?cooking). I believe the 'correct' answer, if they were asleep upstairs, is to leave them and evacuate and let the fire service rescue them. Not sure if I would be able to do that!!!!!!

sprinkles
25-07-2013, 02:09 PM
It will only be used as playroom as I don't provide meals so wouldn't be cooking. I will still be using current playroom and using the living room for sleeping so they won't be up there alone.

I do like the idea of emergency game. Do you have to have a way to get out the house from upstairs? Jumping out the window seems a bit extreme for a child unless fire was upstairs too and couldn't get down the stairs....?

emma04
25-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I like 'emergency game' - I'll be using that from now on!

You also need to think about what you'd do if children were upstairs and you were downstairs (?cooking). I believe the 'correct' answer, if they were asleep upstairs, is to leave them and evacuate and let the fire service rescue them. Not sure if I would be able to do that!!!!!!

I'd be up there like a rat up a drainpipe, whatever the rules! Or I'd do my damnedest to get up there!
Smoke alarm goes of when you fart in this house so I'm sure I'd have time!

emma04
25-07-2013, 02:34 PM
It will only be used as playroom as I don't provide meals so wouldn't be cooking. I will still be using current playroom and using the living room for sleeping so they won't be up there alone.

I do like the idea of emergency game. Do you have to have a way to get out the house from upstairs? Jumping out the window seems a bit extreme for a child unless fire was upstairs too and couldn't get down the stairs....?

I have a porch roof, but nothing out the back, so I would throw the duvets out the window to break their fall, I would drop them from the window ledge at arms length, shortening the distance!
As awful as it sounds, a broken leg is better then death!
I couldn't go first, as they might not want to follow and that'd do me in for life!