PDA

View Full Version : assistant and ratio question pls

Memina
25-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Hey all,

I'm so sorry that im posting yet another ratios question. But please help my brain is numb!

So before having my little girl (6weeks ago) I worked with 5 under 5s as I have my own 4 year old, siblings 1&2, 3 yo who went from part time to full time and 1 yo who is sibling of an over 8.

So from sept I would be working with 6 under fives due to baby being born.

I was thinking an assistant would be the best option and since discussing it with one of my families who have just had a baby, they have asked if I could have the baby from september.

Which would mean that 3 days a week there would be in the setting 7 under 5s (including my own two children)

So anyway my question is if I work with an assistant can we care for these children? Its all through continuity of care but just think its too much.

sarah707
25-07-2013, 09:21 AM
There is a big difference between what you can legally do and what Ofsted inspectors are happy with you doing.

I have heard from a number of childminders who care for 5 under 6 on their own and they have been criticised by inspectors - mostly because they consider the childminder is unable to offer all 5 children an appropriate and consistent level of good quality education while meeting all their individual care needs, keeping them safe etc.

I think an assistant is the way to go. Bear in mind how long it takes to register an assistant so they can be on their own with children...

For example, until permission from Ofsted comes through (after ey2 etc), they will have to leave the room if you leave the room because they cannot be left unattended with children.

This will potentially make keeping children safe a big issue for you and you will need a very robust risk assessment.

Here is some info about registering assistants -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/registered-assistants-co-minders/117086-registering-assistant-advice.html

And you must have appropriate space as detailed here -

Space Requirements - EYFS 2012 (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/spacerequirementseyfs2012.html)

I hope this helps - I suggest you contact Ofsted for further clarification and advice :D

Memina
25-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks Sarah new I could count on you!

My hubby is already registered as my assistant so for short term he can help until I get someone fully registered. My downstairs is all open plan with no closing doors other than the one going outside and the toilet. So that should be fine.

I must admit 7 little ones is going to be hard work but as I dont have any older ones other than 2 afternoons a week then for the majority should be fine. Just a strict routine and lots of fun activites.

Good job I've got the summer off to do my planning lol