PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms...to wear, or not to wear?!

Bumble Beez
25-07-2013, 07:46 AM
So when I first started minding I never wore a 'uniform'...
Started working with mum and mum-in-law four years Go and we wore logo'd polo shirts for working simply so people recognised us as working together...
I've now just gone back to working alone again and am thinking about ditching my work tshirts and going back to just wearing 'normal' stuff again...
What's your opinion? I've spoken to my parents and they've all said it wouldn't bother them if I wore a uniform anymore or not :)

Sarah x

maisiemog
25-07-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm thinking of going the opposite way! I'm thinking of getting two polo shirts made as it will save me a small fortune! I wouldn't care if they got filthy or covered in paint, glue, gloop etc.

Bumble Beez
25-07-2013, 07:56 AM
That's part of the reason I got them in the first place...but I always wore 'work' clothes that I sourced from charity shops etc so didn't mind too much if they got messy...
Maybe I should just stick with them? I don't know!!

Sarah x

butterfly
25-07-2013, 08:03 AM
I wear work logo'd polo shirts. Don't mind getting them dirty, they look professional, good advertising and changing out of them at the end of the day symbolises me getting home from work and relaxing!

EmmaReed84
25-07-2013, 08:14 AM
I have been debating about getting getting polo shirts with my logo on and web address. Mainly so that people can see I am a childminder, also so that I don't get my normal clothes ruined, plus it is advertising my services every time I go out.

I am not too sure though, I mentioned it to MIL once who is also a CM and she laughed at me lol.

FussyElmo
25-07-2013, 08:29 AM
I had polo shirts several years ago and I hated them :) But then I wouldn't wear a polo shirt normally.

But I don't mind my own clothes getting messy :D

Kirsty90
25-07-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm thinking of getting some polo shirts printed now I work with an assistant. Any recommendations on where to get them done?

Thanks

Kirsty x

Tazmin68
25-07-2013, 09:45 AM
I get mine from a local company who also makes the school uniforms. They are called clive marks. I have polo shirts, t shirts, fleece and waterproof jacket all with debbies daycare embroidered on them.

mpullen17387
25-07-2013, 12:19 PM
I was going to get logo on polo shirts too, again advertising, mess and being able to get out of it at the end of the day.. Xxx

sprinkles
25-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm thinking of doing this too. A local minder even has polo shirts for the little ones and also hi vis vests with her logo for when they're out and about.

Anywhere cheap on Internet where can get them done?

Bumble Beez
25-07-2013, 12:54 PM
See I'm still in two minds...polo's work well for advertising what I do, looks professional etc...but sometimes I feel I'm making it TOO business like?! Does that make sense...I want to be taken seriously as a professional EY practitioner however sometimes it's nice just to wear what I want to wear...

Sarah x

Bumble Beez
25-07-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm thinking of getting some polo shirts printed now I work with an assistant. Any recommendations on where to get them done?

Thanks

Kirsty x

Mine were done at a local company...screens...however there are places on eBay that will do them also :)

Sarah x

loocyloo
25-07-2013, 01:02 PM
I had polo shirts several years ago and I hated them :) But then I wouldn't wear a polo shirt normally.

I used to wear polo shirts, but have 'grown out' of them! I used to have personalised polo shirts that I wore when I was a nanny.

I have a couple of tshirts that say childminder on the back, and a fleece that says childminder on the back ( and an umbrella that says childminder with my logo ) but I usually wear my 'work' clothes and a magnetic badge that says 'Ofsted registered childminder, my name and NCMA'! the new pacey ones just say your name, and possibly childminder so i'm holding fire until such times as we find out what is happening regarding agencies etc and then i'll get one made (lots of people on ebay selling personalised magnetic badges ) with independent childminder on.

apart from my logo on my umbrella I don't have anything that actually identifies WHO I am, apart from the fact that I am a childminder! I don't see it as advertising as such.

bindy
25-07-2013, 01:20 PM
I don't think work clothes are for me, I would get board with the same things. I like to be discreet too so would not advertise being a child minder.

scottishlass
25-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I used to hate having to wear polo shirts to school so can't see me ever getting a uniform for myself childminding! Plus my eldest in particular would not want to come out with me if I have a t-shirt with my name on it (she is 11)

Like wearing whatever I like ESP when its been so hot and clammy! Today have my cropped jeans on and a flowery vest top from primark on!

Xx

clareelizabeth1
25-07-2013, 02:25 PM

I'm with you Fussy. I hate polo shirts and as for my clothes getting mess I am just as likely to get pain on them doing one of my projects as the children are.

Polo shirts in this weather how hot must you all be

blue bear
25-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I think wearing the same outfit every day would be boring for me and unstimulating for the children. It's so nice for them snuggling in to different feeling material. It must be really awful for nursery children, all those adults that look the same from feet to neck.

yummyripples
25-07-2013, 05:58 PM
See I'm still in two minds...polo's work well for advertising what I do, looks professional etc...but sometimes I feel I'm making it TOO business like?! Does that make sense...I want to be taken seriously as a professional EY practitioner however sometimes it's nice just to wear what I want to wear...

Sarah x

I agree. I like the children to feel at home and family don't wear uniform but there is positives about wearing one. . I wear practical outfits. At the moment I am living in dresses from matalan - just plain knee length dresses that you wash and hang up. No ironing required. Only problem is no pockets so I wear a bag around my shoulder. I have 3 in different colours and have seen a purple one in asda so am very excited! !!!

Twinkling Stars
25-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Im thinking of getting a waterproof coat with a logo. Maybe to stop everyone thinking they are all my children! Plus i need a new coat! :-)