PDA

View Full Version : can't believe how I feel

yummyripples
24-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Had 2 mindees leave this week and I don't feel sad - just worried as I haven't filled their spaces fully.
I really liked them and their parents but since my own children are at school it feels more like a job tham a vocation. Anyone else feel the same?

Maza
24-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes. I know exactly how you feel. It's no bad thing. Hope you get the spaces filled soon. x

Koala
24-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Sometimes careing for some children can come to a natural end, I had two leave last week and I will sort of miss them but i am so busy I havn't really noticed, but I will have another leave this week and I will be doing cartwheels on friday, if you know what I mean, :D

bindy
24-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Working has a nanny I used to get very emotionally involved, but slightly different job. I worked 24 hours 6 days a week, some how I always ended up with demanding jobs( or maybe I was attracted to work for a certain type) I feel very differently to the mindees, I don't know if its because I worked years without hardly time to myself. I do enjoy the children and follow EYFS etc etc but if any would leave, I would not think twice about it and like you would worry regarding the spaces more than missing a child.

winstonian
24-07-2013, 01:42 PM
I am so glad you posted this. When my first mindee left I sobbed and now 3.5 years later I am like "Oh that is sad, ok, next". That sounds so awful doesnt it? I will miss some of these leavers but I think I am more used to the realities now. I will have my own children forever, these other littlies come and have fun and are loved but then move on.

shortstuff
24-07-2013, 05:58 PM
I had one leave yesterday, we had a party and everything. But as DS said the mindee thinks its because we will miss them but we know its because we are happy. OOPS, me thinks DS knows too much lol. I havent given the lo another thought and it was my first mindee too.

Should i feel bad?

TooEarlyForGin?
24-07-2013, 06:06 PM
People regularly say to me "you must get so attached, it must be hard when they leave". Like others have said, I feel strongly for most of my little ones, but generally feel it comes to a natural end. Usually when they get older, I feel they are ready to leave and go to school, all of mine are also part time, so don't have the same feelings as those that come to me 45+ hours a week.

It's funny at the moment as I am on holiday but haven't gone anywhere, and have had parents say, "oh, I bet you will miss having all the children here", eh... no, it's wonderful to have my home back for 2 weeks and allow my 11 and 16 yo daughters to be free around their own home.

skatie
25-07-2013, 12:05 PM
I had one leave yesterday, we had a party and everything. But as DS said the mindee thinks its because we will miss them but we know its because we are happy. OOPS, me thinks DS knows too much lol. I havent given the lo another thought and it was my first mindee too.

Should i feel bad?

My ds quizzes two mindee siblings as soon as he gets in the car after school.... 'Have you been naughty today?', 'mummy, have they been naughty today?'. I think he hears my kitchen ranting to DH at the end of the day.

On the other hand I said goodbye to my 8 yr old headstrong mindee yesterday, I thought I'd be so chuffed to see the back of her but she was so sweet yesterday, she bought me a box of biscuits and the sweetest handmade card saying 'thanks for being such a great childminder'. And was so full of hugs which really humbled me as she doesn't normally even give her mum hugs.

Stapleton83
25-07-2013, 12:35 PM
I had my first one really leave me on Tuesday and although I felt a little melancholy I was far less upset than I expected to be and the only conclusion I could come to was because I knew it was going to happen sometime so had resigned myself to it. When I gave notice on another one and he didn't come back I didn't think twice about it.

Sometimes it depends on the child and other times I think it is about knowing it is a natural break point.

Did however get some beautiful flowers and a really lovely card on Tuesday, which is when you think it is all worth while.

Sam x

The Juggler
25-07-2013, 02:37 PM
aww hugs honey. i can sypathise with you this week, have had 6 leave - its tough isn't it. xx

Bambini2
25-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Some children seem easy to say goodbye to even if they are lovely and have been an absolute pleasure to look after. However i have just said goodbye to two almost five year olds who have both been coming since they were 4 months old, it was very moving with parents and me all weeping..:crying: I'm not really the emotional type either...looking forward to seeing them in their school uniforms though.