PDA

View Full Version : How to tell the parents

mrsb
09-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I have a 3 year old girl 3 afternoons a week and she quite clearly (to me anyway) has a speech problem, it's the pronounciation (sp?), she has full blown convos etc but it is VERY difficult to understand what she is saying. I feel I should mention it to the parents, they took her to a speech therapist about a year ago but obviously stopped going. apparently the pre school I work at has mentioned it to her a while ago and she said there is no problem:rolleyes: there definately is though.

Would you say anything, and if you would, what would you say?

emmadines
09-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I have a 3 year old girl 3 afternoons a week and she quite clearly (to me anyway) has a speech problem, it's the pronounciation (sp?), she has full blown convos etc but it is VERY difficult to understand what she is saying. I feel I should mention it to the parents, they took her to a speech therapist about a year ago but obviously stopped going. apparently the pre school I work at has mentioned it to her a while ago and she said there is no problem:rolleyes: there definately is though.

Would you say anything, and if you would, what would you say?

I dont know what you how you could put it? maybe start with asking how her speach is at home? then state that you have noticed that she has difficulty with pronouncing ........

and then go on from there??

Blackhorse
09-07-2008, 03:36 PM
tell her you are worried that she will not be able to interact with other kids and yourself as easily as it is hard to understand her.
I would be worried that at some point she gets frustrated if nobody gets what she is trying to say..could maybe result in behaviour problem.

Annie_T
09-07-2008, 03:50 PM
i would say something hun, my girl has the same prob - cant say her g or k/c so tic-tac,kit-kat, are tit-tat, tit-tat lol .. bless her

maybe hinting that your having trouble understanding her, that she gets frustrated when you ask her repeat it .. just so you can make sure on waht she saying .. i kmow my girl gets frustrated

sarah707
09-07-2008, 06:19 PM
I would be tempted to say something straight out rather than hinting ... she has not got long before she starts school and anything that can be done now will help if she's going to be understood when she gets in a class with 29 others.

Poor lamb :(

mrsb
09-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks all :) I know she uses a dummy, not with me but at home a lot etc so I think it is all down to that.
It's sports day at school tomorrow so hopefully mum and lo will go and I can somehow say something then :) I'll let you know :)

Pedagog
09-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Good Luck, I hope she takes it well.

Donkey
09-07-2008, 06:54 PM
hope it goes well too

fishbones1
09-07-2008, 07:24 PM
good luck, hope it goes well.

If my daughter was like this I would prefer to be told. And I would listen!

angeldelight
09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Good advice from everyone

Just wanted to say good luck and hope mom is ok

Angel xx