PDA

View Full Version : oh my days

starschildmind
23-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Where do i start.. what a bad day so far :(

I posted a couple of weeks ago saying now im taken on a clingy baby. Well todays the first day and hes not stopped screaming untill i pick him up

Then i have an 18 month old whos mum has decided she now needs a dummy.. all the time. My rule is if you want your comforter they have to sit on the sofa and relax. Dummys are not for playing.. all she has done is cry because she wants her dummy.. why? I dont know shes never needed it before..

And then there is my daughter. She upset because the other 2 keep crying. Now wants her muzzie. And wants cuddles with me but i have the baby.

Ive given up. We are all on the sofa. With dummys and muzzies and tv on

Bad childminder today :( feel terrible but they keep screaming at me

Anyone want to swap??? Lol xx

QualityCare
23-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Poor you, your not a bad childminder nothing wrong with cuddles comforters and tv, baby will soon settle with routine and consistency, 18mth old will soon realize there is no advantage to dummy if she has to sit both children just need gradual prolonged times alone to play before cuddles or dummy as for your daughter she will find special times for you and her and will settle once the other two do.

Lilylulu
23-07-2013, 09:34 AM
we had a very clingy baby...here are some tips that worked for us - do the nursing for the first few days just so he settles and you can establish a relationship/trust. Then we proceeded to sitting him inbetween our legs on the floor (if baby can sit) - then sitting next to him still giving lots of attention and slowly and gradually make the distance further for short spells but giving cuddles before he cried. As long as there is good trust so the baby feels secure it is possible to have them settled quite quickly. This little chap was completely different by the end of his first full time week - such a happy chap now :) Good luck - don't beat yourself up about the telly/sofa - you are meeting the children's needs today and that's the most important thing, happy children :)

natalieatk
23-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Of mam says he needs a dummy just give him it, even if you don't agree with it it will settle him and stop him crying,
I usually take dummy's away if there 2 of older, anything under its the parents responsibility if they want their child to have a dummy all day

Helen79
23-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Of mam says he needs a dummy just give him it, even if you don't agree with it it will settle him and stop him crying,
I usually take dummy's away if there 2 of older, anything under its the parents responsibility if they want their child to have a dummy all day

While you're settling in the new baby, I'd pick your battles and let the older one have their dummy as well. If there's a new child starting who's crying all day then this is going to unsettle and upset the older mindee so they may need to extra comfort so for now I'd let them have the dummy. I know everyone has their own house rules and you do what works for you but I'd say 18 months is too young to understand the different rules with dummies at your house and at home especially if she's having to deal with the transition of new baby.

You can work on getting rid of the dummy once new baby is more settled, having the 18 month old constantly crying for the dummy is going to unsettle the baby so will take longer to settle her.
You're definitely not a bad childminder, I think we all would have done exactly the same and put the tv on too. I think while trying to keep ofsted happy with planning/obs etc we sometimes forget that young children do need time to relax, feel comfortable and chill out and if that's what they need to do today then you're meeting their needs