PDA

View Full Version : Garden divider fence - how high?

MrsP2C
22-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Sorry for the terminally dull question, but after a stressful few months sticking like glue to small mindees in my garden (or days like today when I have 3 under 3's not being able to safely use it) I've decided to invest in a picket style fence to secure the lawn area as it's raised & there's a 2ft drop onto the flower bed below or stone steps.

I'd like something vaguely discrete but obviously needs to keep little ones safe (& stop ****** footballs ruining my flower beds!) Is 2ft too low? 2ft6? And any nice paint colour suggestions?

chriss
22-07-2013, 11:49 PM
so are you saying if they step in the wrong direction there is a 2 foot drop ? Or did i read it wrong :panic:

supermumy
23-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Wow a 2 foot drop either side

appleblossom
23-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Aren't picket fences the spiky ones?:panic:

I have a fence stop the littlies going on the big climbing equipment or near the swings (when bigger ones are swinging) unless I let them through. It's 3 feet high lap fencing with concrete posts and a lockable gate. Make sure there is nothing on the fence they can stand on to climb over.

MrsP2C
24-07-2013, 12:39 PM
I've attached a photo so you can see as whilst it is 2ft (possibly more) to the patio there are flower beds in between! We've looked into digging down the lawn but it's such a massive job we just can't afford it plus do quite like the garden when I'm not minding!
I've seen some rounded top picket fence so no spikes & it sounds like 2ft is definitely too small. Might pop into the garden centre with one of my little mindees next week and try & gauge what is or isn't workable.

MrsP2C
24-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Aren't picket fences the spiky ones?:panic:

I have a fence stop the littlies going on the big climbing equipment or near the swings (when bigger ones are swinging) unless I let them through. It's 3 feet high lap fencing with concrete posts and a lockable gate. Make sure there is nothing on the fence they can stand on to climb over.
Yours sounds more the sort of thing I'm thinking & yes gate at the steps plus round the side.

Rubybubbles
24-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Give up minding and keep your lovely garden :-). It's beautiful

Chimps Childminding
24-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Give up minding and keep your lovely garden :-). It's beautiful

I agree its lovely!!!! Not any help though sorry :blush:

georginawrigley
24-07-2013, 01:47 PM
i had a drop like yours and 3 2 year olds to watch...i simply planted some lovely buxus plants in a row and they have grown into a lovely small hedgerow, the children are perfectly safe and dont go near. you could do the same and keep your beautiful garden the same. remember you cant take away all risks but you can minimise them. x
:laughing:

supermumy
24-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Oh now I've seen it I wouldn't want to change it either :)

FussyElmo
24-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Oh now I've seen it I wouldn't want to change it either :)

I would want to change it either. Maybe some sort of trellis fencing and grow lots of climbing plants up :thumbsup:

MrsP2C
26-07-2013, 03:40 PM
i had a drop like yours and 3 2 year olds to watch...i simply planted some lovely buxus plants in a row and they have grown into a lovely small hedgerow, the children are perfectly safe and dont go near. you could do the same and keep your beautiful garden the same. remember you cant take away all risks but you can minimise them. x
:laughing:

Thank you that's a brilliant idea & I can add a gate at the steps :)

babs
26-07-2013, 03:53 PM
i,ve brought some plastic fencing to stop littleones from falling off my lawn or I should say older ones jumping down as my lawn is raised the height of a gravel board. wasn't expensive in fact just replaced it today cost me £12 other lasted 2 yrs but was wire this looked nicer..7548

Louise_Oaktree
26-07-2013, 04:27 PM
We have a similar set up as we have opened up our sectioned off garden however the drop is only about 1.5 ft, the top is patio and the bottom is grass but with wooden steps going down, I am getting a few 1 metre planters to grow vegetables in, yes only about 40cm high but 50cm deep so the biggest danger is falling into a bed of strawberries!

This is the reason we opted for wooden steps but I wouldn't want to change your lovely garden....what about something you can take up and put away when not minding? Something that stakes into the grass perhaps?

Glitter
26-07-2013, 05:10 PM
My garden has a similar drop. I put up a willow trellis fence, about 2 foot high. Because it is'nt very stong I planted plants in front of it to stop children touching it.

It allows me to look through and see the rest of the garden, while being quite nice to look at. Ofsted said it was fine.