PDA

View Full Version : parent always late.

Npg1
22-07-2013, 06:39 PM
I have a new child who started friday. Dropped off on time, picked up 20 mins late, on his first day! Had him today from 7.30- 7.30 but its now 7.38 and no sign and I havent heard from her. I dont know what to say at pick up?

madredann
22-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Well you could say would you like me to change your contracted hours to 745 as you seem to struggle to get here for 730 but after 730 you charge double time !

ktdg85
22-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Well you could say would you like me to change your contracted hours to 745 as you seem to struggle to get here for 730 but after 730 you charge double time !

I like this!! You need to put your foot down from the beginning else you would be walked over. Try £10 charge per 15minute she is late starting tomorrow too.

Npg1
22-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Well she finally came, along with dad who stunk of alcohol and fags. She said the times she had given me is when she finishes work not when she will pick him up! So its an extra 15- 20 mins on top.

I charge £5 per hour from 8-6 anything before that is £7 per hour. Should I just carry on charging like this?

madredann
22-07-2013, 07:06 PM
I would point out how much you charge and get payment in advance !

ktdg85
22-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Well she finally came, along with dad who stunk of alcohol and fags. She said the times she had given me is when she finishes work not when she will pick him up! So its an extra 15- 20 mins on top.

I charge £5 per hour from 8-6 anything before that is £7 per hour. Should I just carry on charging like this?

No, I would contract her hours to whatever so 7:45 and say that anything after this time will be charged at £10 per half hour. Explain that it eats into your family time therefore becomes unsociable hours, she will be on time every day, I guarantee it.

Goatgirl
22-07-2013, 07:11 PM

I think you need to revisit the contract and amend hours, make sure the parents are clear on the higher charge for unsociable hours, include it in contracted hours and work out a week's fees or whatever it is they pay at a time and make sure all is signed, dated and all fees are paid in advance.

Golly, you must be a bit shocked at their behaviour. Don't know quite what I would do, but would not be happy about adults smelling of alchohol turning up at my setting :panic:......

Hope someone will come along with practical advice to deal with that. I'd maybe even have a chat and state concerns with a view to terminating the contract if still in the settling in period... do you have one?

madredann
22-07-2013, 07:15 PM
I would not cancel a contract due to the dad especially after one incidence but I would monitor it x

Heidi7
23-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Hia:
You say that the Dad? arrives smelling of alcohol?
If i am not mistaken you can refuse to hand over the child under safeguarding children laws because the child could be in danger if they are in the care of an intoxicated adult. If the dad is driving you can again refuse to hand the child over under the same laws. You are keeping the child safe not to mention he may be driving illegally over the limit.
You would be well advised to speak to the parents and explain that u are legally obligated to ensure the child is safe and collection of the child should be done by someone not drinking. They are putting you in a very precarious position.
It can be done tactfully.
Either way that is cause for concern and dhould be addressed.
All round it doesnt sound like a good contract since it has started of in very bad way.
Good luck