PDA

View Full Version : Child seats

pinklady756
22-07-2013, 03:56 PM
I'm trying to decide the best combination of child seats for my car and would love some advice.

I currently have 2 group 1 seats in the back for 12 month old and 20 month old mindees. But I also have 3 older mindees - 3-4 years (2 of them are very petite but the other is tall for age and much heavier). I have a group 123 seat in the 3rd row which works well but I need another seat and can't decide between another group 1 or 123.

My issue is one day a week I will have 1x12 month old, 2x20 month old and petite 3 year old. Do I go with a 123 because it will grow with the older mindees, and use it for heavier 20 month old? Or go with group 1 which would be safer for 20 month old but risk older mindees outgrowing it?

Not sure what to do......

emma04
22-07-2013, 04:36 PM
I have 3 group 1's for my 2x 2ry olds and 18mth mindees

I have a 123 for my own dd

I have 4 group 3's waiting in my mums loft for when they grow out of the group 1's (1 will be for dd to put in dh's car)

I have been minding for 6 years and have just rotated the seats as and when the children grow! I look after the seats and keep them immaculate to save me buying more!

Sarsar3NCH
22-07-2013, 05:06 PM
I bought a 123 once but found I only ever used it as a group 1 as it was hassle to take to harness out, I bought a high back booster as well in the end

emma04
22-07-2013, 06:46 PM
I bought a 123 once but found I only ever used it as a group 1 as it was hassle to take to harness out, I bought a high back booster as well in the end

I think 123 seats are only appropriate for permanent children, such as your own or grandchildren. I prefer separates for minded children. X

Chatterbox Childcare
22-07-2013, 07:05 PM
In my experience you cannot just have the amount of car seats for the children you currently care for. They are all different and you need to buy what is needed for now and to be safe (don't go for "they will grow into it").

Have a look at the standards and see what you need and then when they out grow them you need to get the next size

Helen79
22-07-2013, 07:23 PM
If you're buying a new seat have a look at the kiddy seats, mamas and papas cybex pallas and the jane montecarlo. They all use a booster cushion instead of a harness so can be used by 9months -12 years without fiddling around with harnesses or swapping seats in and out of the car. You just use the booster seat until they're 18kg and then the normal seat belt afterwards.
They're more expensive unless you can find one in the sale but will save money in the long run as you won't need different seats for different ages.

pinklady756
22-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I wasn't suggesting for a moment that I'm considering buying a car seat that mindees could 'grow into' :panic:

I think I will go for the group 1 and cross the bridge of them growing out of it when that comes.

Out of interest does anyone use a group 123 seat for younger children? It says suitable from 9 months but I wouldn't feel safe putting little ones in them.

Helen79 - thanks, I'll have a look.

munch149
22-07-2013, 08:51 PM
I currently have two group 1s a 123 and two threes. Don't necessarily need them
All at once but rotate. I find although a group 1 goes up to 4 an older child looks more comfortable in a 123 using harness