View Full Version : Nut allergy

22-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi iv got a parent coming tonight amoeba new child age 6 she has informed me he has a severe nut Lethe and carries epipen s around.
I provide food drinks snacks etc, what should I say to this woman about food? Am I best starting off she should provide her own just incase? I can't really be doing with buying but free products etc or checking what has nuts in!
What should I do?

22-07-2013, 02:23 PM
You need to be very careful not to be discriminatory, which saying you can't be bothered to deal with it could be seen as.

If the allergy is very severe, it could be that there can't be any nut products close by. Some children can have a reaction if another child has eaten something like peanut butter.

Keep an open mind, talk to mum & maybe read up on nut allergy before they come for a visit.

If it's something you don't feel you can deal with, be honest, say that you don't feel that you're fully equipped to offer the care her daughter needs.

22-07-2013, 02:28 PM
It's not that I don't want to - its that I'm frightened that something contains nuts or has a trace of when I don't realise, I shall read up on it. Thanks

22-07-2013, 02:34 PM
My daughter works at a nursery and they have a child with a nut allergy. They aren't allowed to eat anything with nuts in from 2 hours before they start work, so she has to be careful with her breakfast- no more honey nut flakes. A child once arrived eating something with nuts in, the parents were told to take them away and come back later in the day. I hope they are being over cautious, but its not worth the risk.

22-07-2013, 03:44 PM
My DD has a nut allergy and has an epipen (thankfully never needed to use it!). I suggest you talk with Mum about what she does at home and what she wants you to do. Mum may prefer to supply food but you may have to make some changes any way to avoid cross-contamination. Will the daughter be with her Mum? Bear in mind that she (daughter) may feel very upset at being different from her friends at school and excluded from treats (mine does). Try The Anaphylaxis Campaign at www.anaphylaxis.org.uk for more info.

donna porter
22-07-2013, 04:57 PM
I think you have to be trained to use an epidemic don't you?

donna porter
22-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Damn iPhone!! Epipen!!!!!!!

22-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Both, I expect. :laughing:

22-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Yes you have to be trained to use it though to be honest it is not difficult to use (We have a trainer pen). You'd need to check if Mum can 'train' you or possibly make an appointment to see the nurse for training.

22-07-2013, 06:43 PM
I know a nurse can give you training but we were shown in our first aid course

22-07-2013, 06:48 PM
I don't think you should make the decision until talking to mom, the severity differs between children and it may be that it might not make much difference to your daily routine anyway. If child is there though be careful about how you word your concerns as you don't want her to think you don't want to care for her :-(

22-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Mum has said it's also airborne so I couldn't eat anything with nuts in not that I do cos traces on my hands could give him hives but he wouldn't go on to shock of it was airborne prob just shock if he actually ate anything with nuts in.

There is alot he can eat but I would just double check the packets and make sure other children didnt bring anything nutbased in to my setting