PDA

View Full Version : working out average hours worked

Rubybubbles
22-07-2013, 01:34 PM
In previous years I have trailed through each week and worked out how many I was working each week to put the amount earned.

Recommended on here was add all the hours worked and divide by 52 to get the average (thus covering your holidays too)

Question that has never occurred to me, for last year I was contracted 6:30-6 most days, but often had a text the night before saying will be with you at 7, or 8 for example. So do I go by contracted hours or actual hours attended? I have only ever done it in past by hours attended, but last years attendance is using NCMA book so having to flick back and forward working out the fact I had 6/8 children throughout the week:rolleyes: my own fault I know, I am right on top of this years, but finishing off last years!!

This years accounts are mega easier as I was kindly shared an attendance form for all children on one sheet so been adding up as I go!

hectors house
22-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Why do you need an average for hours worked - is it for working out gas/electric percentage? I think I would go by contracted hours and save myself hours and hours of unpaid effort. I am now using the spreadsheet that I got from the forum - you put in the hours you have worked each day and it calculates the percentage for you - simples! How then am I still 6 months behind?:laughing:

adedwards68
22-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Isn't it just worked out as

If you work 40+ hours you can deduct the full % (can't remember what it is)
20 hours would be half that % and so on
I would say contracted hours not the hours you actually work

Rubybubbles
22-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Why do you need an average for hours worked - is it for working out gas/electric percentage? I think I would go by contracted hours and save myself hours and hours of unpaid effort. I am now using the spreadsheet that I got from the forum - you put in the hours you have worked each day and it calculates the percentage for you - simples! How then am I still 6 months behind?:laughing:

Yes for gas and electric

Even when not working by contracted hours I hit 50+ just by hours attended but if I put contracted will really help balance out for when I have holiday

Does that make more sense! But then if not going by actual hours worked how would you really be able to claim If the children are ill or on hoilday (not that it falls no one comes ever, but small chance)

I am thinking it must be only for hours worked sigh

hectors house
22-07-2013, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't think it was worth the inland revenue's time to sit and trawl through your accounts, if they ever investigate you to prove that you over claimed for 3 hours gas & electric! If you regularly work 50 hours I would claim the whole 40% but I don't claim for when I am on holiday.

adedwards68
22-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Pacey accounts book says
Hours worked Heating & Lighting Water Rates Council tax/rent wear and tear
40 hours + 33% 10% 10% 10%

20 hours 17% 5% 5% 10%

between
full & part time 25% 7% 7% 10%
ie 30 hours

Expenses are calculated according to the hours a childminder works not the number of children being cared for
example childminder looking after 1 child 9-5 5 days a week =40 hours
a childminder caring for 3 children 8-1 4 days a week is paid for 60 hours but is only working 20 hours

adedwards68
22-07-2013, 03:52 PM
This explains everything
http://www.**************/pdf/Expenses%20and%20Allowances%20v5.pdf

adedwards68
22-07-2013, 03:53 PM
This explains everything
http://www.**************/pdf/Expenses%20and%20Allowances%20v5.pdf

Sorry didn't work if you look on pacey they have a sheet about expenses

adedwards68
22-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't think it was worth the inland revenue's time to sit and trawl through your accounts, if they ever investigate you to prove that you over claimed for 3 hours gas & electric! If you regularly work 50 hours I would claim the whole 40% but I don't claim for when I am on holiday.

Just incase the IR do ever check your accounts the 5 is 33% not 40 unfortunately http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/frown.png

Rubybubbles
22-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't think I'm coming across clear lol!

I know all the %s but in previous years I have always added up my total day and added up per week (I am going to link this years as example) but if I was going on contracted hours they would be much more as even though I was meant to start at 6:30 often was 7-8. And my late finish being 6:30 but getting picked up at 6 for example

So yes I am contracted to be working a 12 hour day(because of overlapping families) but only actually doing 10 (does that make more sence?)

So with the example linked my average hours for those weeks is 32.8 (excuse the gaps not yet filled haha) but if going by contracted not worked would be 40+ (I say 40 as that's what us it caped at)

Rubybubbles
22-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Just realised I have not said thank you to your replies !

Thanks for reading and helping

MessybutHappy
22-07-2013, 04:32 PM
I asked the exact question on a recent HMRC Webinar and was told it's actual hours worked.

So if you have only Child A on a Monday and A is contracted 8-6 but only attends 8.30 - 5.30 then you would have worked 9 hours that day.
If Child A does the same on Tuesday, but Child C also attends Tuesday and C really did start at 8 and finish at 6, then you'd work 10 on the Tuesday...

I've done averages because I have to declare hours to Tax Credits too.

Rubybubbles
22-07-2013, 04:36 PM
I asked the exact question on a recent HMRC Webinar and was told it's actual hours worked.

So if you have only Child A on a Monday and A is contracted 8-6 but only attends 8.30 - 5.30 then you would have worked 9 hours that day.
If Child A does the same on Tuesday, but Child C also attends Tuesday and C really did start at 8 and finish at 6, then you'd work 10 on the Tuesday...

I've done averages because I have to declare hours to Tax Credits too.

Lovely that's how I have always worked it, but I have never worked based on an average before so really threw me! Thanks I will keep doing my weekly sheet and do it all as an average at the end of the year xx