PDA

View Full Version : Wee-wee problems!!

Boris
22-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I have a boy mindee who is 2.5 yrs. He has been toilet training for a few months and had cracked it but the last 3-4 weeks he has been, I think, just letting a bit of wee out to relieve the urgency now and then. He constantly has a wet patch on his trousers. He doesn't ask for the toilet or potty, I have to tell him to sit on it and try. If I ask him if he needs a wee he says no. Today he has arrived with a bad rash on his bits and lower tummy that looks to me like he's been in wet pants for a long time and the wee has irritated him. He absolutely stinks of wee! Last week he wet twice in half an hour, while I was getting clean pants he poo'd on the floor!! What do I do? I don't want to tell his parents to put him back in nappies because I feel like it wouldn't be fair to do that now after all this time, but I really have had enough of the smell and mess.

madredann
22-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Has he been poorly or anything unsettling happening at home also bladder infection or maybe he is drinking alot more because of the hot weather you need to discuss with parents to rule any underlying problems out and then decide how to proceed for health and safety reasons a step back might be needed x

Boris
22-07-2013, 01:18 PM
No, he's fine. He does drink quite a lot but when he wee's its a teaspoonful! He can literally squeeze a drop out on demand! Do you think it's reasonable to ask parents to put him in a pull up for a while?

madredann
22-07-2013, 01:42 PM
He must be like it at home as well though? what do his parents do?

emma04
22-07-2013, 02:00 PM
No, he's fine. He does drink quite a lot but when he wee's its a teaspoonful! He can literally squeeze a drop out on demand! Do you think it's reasonable to ask parents to put him in a pull up for a while?

Sounds like a UTI to me, small trickles after drinking lots is always a sign. Have they taken him to doctors to check?

Sometimes regression can be down to pain (anywhere! As its a distraction) the pooing was a bit (dare I say it!) "naughty!!" But if there's an underlining issue, that may be the reason?

Could also be that he's lost interest in being "bothered to go!" Many get like this, but soon get back to normal.

Visit to doctors should always be first port of call!

hectors house
22-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Has anything happened at home (or does he go to Nursery) that would make him frightened of using the toilet or potty? - one of my mindees who started school last September went back to having accidents - it turns out he saw a big spider in the schools outside toilets and was too frightened to use them.

Sometimes they can just get a bit lazy though or just be too busy playing to bother - a urine infection needs to be ruled out though, especially if he drinks plenty but only wees little and very often.

VeggieSausage
22-07-2013, 03:05 PM
I have a minder friend who has experienced exactly this recently, she went back to the beginning and was putting him on the loo every 20 mins or so whether he wanted to or not and it improved after a few weeks and he is fine now.....could he just be engrossed in what he is doing and holding it and can't be bothered to go to the loo?

emma04
22-07-2013, 03:09 PM
I have a minder friend who has experienced exactly this recently, she went back to the beginning and was putting him on the loo every 20 mins or so whether he wanted to or not and it improved after a few weeks and he is fine now.....could he just be engrossed in what he is doing and holding it and can't be bothered to go to the loo?

I have one that can't be bothered! It's a pain, but I take him every hour. He is prone to UTIs and holding on to wee too long is bad for this.

I also have one who cries every time I tell her to use the potty (won't go independently and always says no, only to wee herself 5min later!)
She doesn't do it at home and uses the potty independently there. I think she's engrossed here and just hates being disturbed! Something she will have to live with unfortunately.

sing-low
22-07-2013, 03:33 PM
What about a star chart? Linked to a reward for x stars. Had to re-introduce this with my DD as she needed an extra incentive to use the potty again. She just couldn't be bothered once the initial excitement had worn off. Also started just taking her again even if she said no. Hubby reminded me it was this way with the other two - two steps forward, one step back -- but it is annoying if they regress.

Boris
22-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Thank you everyone, I will have a chat with dad at pick up. I hadn't thought of a UTI but it's definitely worth checking out. Potty training is so much fun!