PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for letting me know... NOT!

EmmaReed84
22-07-2013, 08:01 AM
So had a lovely parent come to visit with her daughter (you know the one I had to do the powerpoint for)

It all went so well, she did say that she was supposed to go with one CM who was a family member, but had not heard anything so had to start looking again.

All good and well, then I drop off one of my minded children to another CM and we got chatting. Turns out that she was the CM family member and due to unforeseen circumstances she was a bit late getting back in touch with parent. Parent signed up with her earlier that day, which obviously I can totally understand going with someone you know rather than a stranger.

Just a tad peeved that the parent has not even bothered to let me know this. I only know because of chatting to the other CM.

Oh well, have another parent hopefully to see next week. Fingers crossed!

FussyElmo
22-07-2013, 08:04 AM
I think its a rarity that they get back to you. I don't think sometimes its bad manners just a awkward thing for a parent to do :D

EmmaReed84
22-07-2013, 08:09 AM
I think its a rarity that they get back to you. I don't think sometimes its bad manners just a awkward thing for a parent to do :D

This is the first time I have ever had a parent not get back in touch after a visit.

I did have one lovely lady who called me back and said she really liked me and my setting, but she found another minder who she felt was more suited to her. She was so nice about, I thanked her for letting me know and wished her and her daughter well. I still say hello to her and I see her and she is getting on with the other minder.

FizzWizz
22-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I used to get really insulted as I put a lot of effort in for visiting parents but after a few times I have just accepted it and try not to analyse it too much after they've gone to avoid getting disappointed, one of the less favourable things about childminding I guess.

Good luck with your next potential client :-)

bunyip
22-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Sorry that's happened, Emma :group hug:

I do sympathise. For a long time I was lucky in that the majority of enquirers would sign up or at least tell me they'd changed their plans. But of the last 6 families I've had visit: 4 have not botherd to reply; 1 said "no" but gave me a totally BS set of reasons (in short, she lied to make herself feel better or what I do not know); and the other 1 had to be told I no longer had a place after she vacillated for too long.

I think FizzWizz is right, but it's still not nice. :(

lizduncan72
22-07-2013, 10:54 AM
I've very rarely had anyone let me know that they've decided not to use me-was waiting to hear back from one mum when I saw the LO at toddlers with a CM friend of mine!!

jackie 7
22-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Parents don't realise we are waiting to hear from them. I give them a week and then go on to the next family

EmmaReed84
22-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Parents don't realise we are waiting to hear from them. I give them a week and then go on to the next family

Well I did say that once a parent has left, unless they have said "Yes I will get back in touch" I am just going to assume they are not coming back, so if they do, it's a bonus.

Plus, I wont be holding any places, if a parent does not get back in touch and the place goes... Tough!

I gotta toughen up and remember this is a business, not helping out a friend LOL.

bunyip
23-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Well, wha'd'y'know. Big surprise. :clapping:

Just hours after my post here yesterday, I got an unexpected call from a parent who'd visited weeks ago. I'd pretty much given up on them and didn't expect to hear back. Turns out they had a serious family illness and were away for much of that time. They were very sorry for the lack of contact (other things on their minds) but could I put a contract together with a view to starting next week?

Goes to show there's always hope. :)

Kirstylob
23-07-2013, 12:53 PM
That's great news Bunyip.

FussyElmo
23-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Well, wha'd'y'know. Big surprise. :clapping:

Just hours after my post here yesterday, I got an unexpected call from a parent who'd visited weeks ago. I'd pretty much given up on them and didn't expect to hear back. Turns out they had a serious family illness and were away for much of that time. They were very sorry for the lack of contact (other things on their minds) but could I put a contract together with a view to starting next week?

Goes to show there's always hope. :)

Exvelleny news

jackie 7
23-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Lucky you. Wish I cod get another to sign.

kats
24-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Thats brilliant:) x

loocyloo
24-07-2013, 08:16 PM
I once had a family visit ... all went very well and asked me to have child before they left! starting in a couple of months time

I said give me a call tomorrow and we'll arrange to do contracts/settling etc.

they didn't ring. I called in the evening (wondering if maybe they thought I would call them) ... left message on ansaphone ... nothing ... few days later I left another message .... a week later I posted a letter ( they weren't on any of my usual traveling routes! ) asking them to contact me by a set date.

nothing ...

a good 3 months later they knocked on the door and said, ''right, we're here to drop of LO'' :eek: I had to explain that as I had had no contact from them despite my trying, I was very sorry, but I didn't have the vacancy any more and didn't know when I would have one!

I think some parents don't 'get' that we can only have 3 LO, and think that like a nursery we can have more, and it doesn't matter.

EmmaReed84
31-07-2013, 05:24 AM
:blush: OK, so I will eat my words!

Just had a lovely email from parent saying thank you and letting me know she is going else where...

Oooops... LOL