PDA

View Full Version : Important message about 2,3 and 4 year old funding

Simona
22-07-2013, 07:36 AM
CAN all cms please report if they are encountering any problems with their LAs or still be the subject of 'conditions'
It would be useful if the LAs could be named but not compulsory.
All LAs will rewrite their Code of Practice now and then contact cms...many will have contacted cms already
All non network cms will get to hear how to draw the funding from September.

The DfE has published the new guidance for LAs and the funding for 2,3 and 4years olds
http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/e/la%20role%20statutory%20guidance%20final.pdf

We can all interpret it any way we like but the message is clear:

1. all good/outstanding cms are now able to do the funding

2. In some LAs satisfactory cms can be used if there is a shortage

3. If you do not get any 2 year olds you can still be funded for 3 and 4 year olds

Pacey are running a survey on it so please go to Pacey Local and click on the link...takes 2 seconds

Please lets not waste this opportunity for equality...many cms have fought hard for this 'inequality' to be removed once and for all from this area of our provision.
I know I discussed this with Truss when I met with her exactly a year ago.

Despite her lack of any knowledge in EY matters Truss has acted on this and I have already been in touch with the DfE stating the Guidance is really not clear enough and many LAs will continue to impose conditions.

Please contact your LA and find out all details and feedback if any conditions are imposed.

AgentTink
22-07-2013, 07:56 AM
I have this morning recieved this responce, to my email, from my LA:

Thanks for your email

I appreciate that this is a worrying and quite unsettling time for all practitioners working within childcare.

We will be looking at the points you raised and in particular implications for child minders and I will be discussing them in detail with my service manager as we move forward into another period of local authority re-design. As soon as I have some response from above I will be back in touch

So no definitive answer yet, however there is discussions and as soon as i know more information i will lpost on here.

tashaleee
22-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Does this mean rates will change as well from September? Or can LAs still set their own amounts?

Simona
22-07-2013, 08:04 AM
The rates remain the same but the govt is looking into introducing a 'national formula' in future.
LAs also have to publish their formulas and we can 'compare' it to other LAs.

many cms are concerned the 2 yo funding is ok but drops too low when the children get to 3.
This means many children will be moved from one setting to another because it will cause a sustainability problem

this we can argue against later but at the moment 'inclusion' is vital and no unacceptable conditions.

Chatterbox Childcare
22-07-2013, 08:14 AM
My network are expecting the new guidance from our LA on Wednesday so will feed back once I get it

mrs robbie williams
22-07-2013, 10:41 AM
just emailed my development officer but she is on annual leave so just an automated reply - I am graded good but thought I had to have level 3 and be accredited before I can offer funding?

Simona
22-07-2013, 10:44 AM
It does not say that on the new guidance...if LAs impose these conditions we need to have it clarified
Let us know what your EY say when you get a reply

Keep posting your experiences...thank you

hectors house
22-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Have just phoned my LA - I had forms back in January just as MGC :censored: hit the fan, so didn't fill them in - they are having a meeting on Wednesday about funding issues and will send me out a new form after the meeting, so will wait to see if it is any easier than the last one!

Simona
22-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Your LA should inform you 'how to draw' the funding, you should be asked to provide your bank account details as the money goes straight there ..or at least I hope that is the way all LAs do it??
we should also do the census...in other words tell them how many children in our settings get to be funded for their records.

This usually happens the term before but the DfE has only just released the Guidance so LAs have to move fast to get funding to us by 1 Sept

Ripeberry
22-07-2013, 03:49 PM
My council make it so difficult to access funding that I've never bothered with it. Also I don't like the idea of working for a lower rate. I'd rather be less full than have lots of funded children and have to mess around with even more paperwork.
Is this their plan to bring down the cost of childcare? Give out lots of childcare funding but we can't get a decent rate from it?

Simona
22-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Ripeberry...The very reason the DfE is removing the way LAs fund now is because they have imposed too many conditions and excluded too many cms

I admit I am happy they are doing so and also many many more families will access the 15 hours via cms which they were prevented before and made their childcare more costly and also meant we lost children to preschools

I do agree with you the funding is not good to sustain our businesses but if you read MAC I think the govt is addressing this (3.34 to 3.38 page 31)

I am not rushing into doing the funding...my LA can wait a bit the same way they made me wait for inclusion for years!!

I have fought since 2009 for this equality and, despite the fact I don't trust this govt, at least something is being done to address the discrimination we have faced for a long time.

barbarella68
22-07-2013, 06:52 PM
I am with Wiltshire Council and they are brilliant we just had 2 evening courses last week on how to claim the funding.
3 and 4 year old funding is for Satisfactory,Good and Outstanding though Satisfactory Childminders must be shown to be working towards good.Only good and Outstanding Childminders can claim for 2 year olds.
Very helpful

barbarella68
22-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Forgot to say that we also got loads of paperwork telling us lots of facts and phone numbers of people to call if problems.

sunview_cm
22-07-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm currently going through the process of joining the register of providers here in norfolk and restrictions still apply. I have my good, green rag and level 3 but have also had to write a business plan with financial plan/forecast! Was up till late the other night doing it and still haven't finished.
Got my new dw coming out Wednesday to discuss it and go through it with me.
Am I wasting my time, if things are going to change anyway?
X

Simona
22-07-2013, 07:51 PM
I am with Wiltshire Council and they are brilliant we just had 2 evening courses last week on how to claim the funding.
3 and 4 year old funding is for Satisfactory,Good and Outstanding though Satisfactory Childminders must be shown to be working towards good.Only good and Outstanding Childminders can claim for 2 year olds.
Very helpful

I am so pleased that some LAs have seen sense and working with cms on this...well done and good to hear you get lots of info.

sarah707
22-07-2013, 08:04 PM
We have a meeting at the end of the month - I can ask more questions then and feed back to you :D

tashaleee
22-07-2013, 09:40 PM
It does not say that on the new guidance...if LAs impose these conditions we need to have it clarified
Let us know what your EY say when you get a reply

Keep posting your experiences...thank you

Am more than happy to check with my LA.... have read through the document but cant see for looking... which is the specific clause if anyone can tell me that I can go to my LA and say 'it sais in black and white that all childminders from September graded outstanding or good can offer a funded place with no other criteria'? (or words to that effect :laughing:)

Simona
23-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Am more than happy to check with my LA.... have read through the document but cant see for looking... which is the specific clause if anyone can tell me that I can go to my LA and say 'it sais in black and white that all childminders from September graded outstanding or good can offer a funded place with no other criteria'? (or words to that effect :laughing:)

Page 10 Section A3 Quality

A3.1 Providers who deliver the EYFS
A3.2 Fund a provider based on the Ofsted judgement
A3.3 Fund any provider Good or o's

The guidance needs to be read together with More Affordable Childcare
Look at page 17 2.39
page 18 2.41

Some LAs are responding, in fact have responded a while back and allowed cms to be included
If the message is clear to some it has to be clear to all...even my LA has now realised all good/o's cms are in this

I did say straight away the guidance is not very clear but it is also NOT unclear: musts and should need to be challenged
I am also waiting to see if Pacey step in and have asked the DfE

miffy
23-07-2013, 06:54 AM
The calendar sent with my funding forms said on the bottom of it that childminders could only provide funded sessions for 3 & 4 yo if accredited with PACEY.

Miffy xx

Simona
23-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Miffy...That is not correct...all Good/o's cms are able to do the funding from September

In fact many are already doing so ...so where is the reason for excluding the rest?
LAs will resist this but it is truly up to each cm to fight her corner now

Please ring Pacey and see what they say or look at pacey Local...
email the DfE ministers@education.gsi.gov.uk
ring the DfE 0370 000 2288
tweet to them or look them up on Facebook.

FussyElmo
23-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Our las has set up meeting for all good and above cms so they can explain it to them how to get the funding etc etc. Hardly anyone has booked on to them. On our network only 16 out of the 40 are accredited.

Total apathy around - the person who is in charge of the funding wants cms in the forefront of the 2yos but...............

Simona
23-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Our las has set up meeting for all good and above cms so they can explain it to them how to get the funding etc etc. Hardly anyone has booked on to them. On our network only 16 out of the 40 are accredited.

Total apathy around - the person who is in charge of the funding wants cms in the forefront of the 2yos but...............

My LA asked non network cms to apply to go on a waiting list for the 2 year old funding....out of 290 non network cms only 10 put their name down

Yes apathy seems to prevail and many cms are not bothered because the funding is below their fees and many have not got a clue what has been happening for the last year

The LAs are responsible to cover all 2 year olds who need funding...up to them to chase cms not the other way round
Some 50,000+ 2 yo still have no place in September...the LAs will be accountable to the DfE not cms

We fought the ratio issue with passion when it did not really matter to us ...now this matter is really important to cms and we have apathy

No cm can be forced to act or campaign on the funding...totally up to them and apathy will encourage LAs to do as they like

Sorry if I sound cross....puzzled is more appropriate!

tori4
23-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Very helpful

Sorry Barbarella same LA and I have been cleared for 2yr old funding with a very out of date satisfactory but not allowed to claim 3-4yr. :-0 ! Plus some CM had to complete full accreditation inc fccers and level 3 safeguarding course.

Glad to see the consistency thro same LA is working well :-))

23-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Well Northamptonshire are saying nothing and failing to respond to my emails at the moment. Doesn't surprise me at all. I am now going throught their complaints process and will contact PACEY and the DFE if I haven't got a satisfactory answer by the end of the day. Fingers crossed!

Simona
23-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Well Northamptonshire are saying nothing and failing to respond to my emails at the moment. Doesn't surprise me at all. I am now going throught their complaints process and will contact PACEY and the DFE if I haven't got a satisfactory answer by the end of the day. Fingers crossed!

I have contacted Pacey and tweeted to them that we need support on this
Have sent various messages to the DfE
Discussed our concerns with Hempsalls this morning (they are in charge of helping the LAs roll out the funding)
Have emailed my LA several times and at last I got this message:

''Daycare Trust is running a business and finance support session for those of you who are taking, or planning to take funded 2 year olds. Childminders need to be rated ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted to be take part in the 2 year old placement programme.

The session will cover:

· Overview of business planning (using a business planning template)

· Why financial planning is important

· Principles of financial planning & management

· Key elements of and documents relating to financial planning & management

· Calculating occupancy and vacancies across the week

· Cashflow forecasts and monthly budgets

· Break even pricing'' (end)

So I have now booked myself on a session and can't wait to be taught how to run my business when I could be getting less than my fees and not cover costs...I am intrigued what 'break even pricing' is?

tashaleee
23-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Page 10 Section A3 Quality

A3.1 Providers who deliver the EYFS
A3.2 Fund a provider based on the Ofsted judgement
A3.3 Fund any provider Good or o's

The guidance needs to be read together with More Affordable Childcare
Look at page 17 2.39
page 18 2.41

Some LAs are responding, in fact have responded a while back and allowed cms to be included
If the message is clear to some it has to be clear to all...even my LA has now realised all good/o's cms are in this

I did say straight away the guidance is not very clear but it is also NOT unclear: musts and should need to be challenged
I am also waiting to see if Pacey step in and have asked the DfE

Thanks I have rung my LA who didnt have a clue so now put it in writing and will let you know what they say :thumbsup:

23-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Well good old Northamptonshire will not release details until the next Early Years bulletin which is due on 30th August! How helpful is that? No chance of any childminder getting funded children (unless already accredited) under the new guidance for sept is there. Again childminders can't compete with other settings unless they do much more paperwork than them.

So I am going through their complaints process. I have emailed the Northamptonshire Childminding Association asking for support and for them to speed up the process. I have emailed Pacey as I think they should be sending all LAs their legal adviser's interpretation of what LAs should be/should not be doing so barriers are removed and they must push for this to be done very quickly as it is their members businesses that are suffering. I have also asked my LA how to recoup lost earnings if parents go with other providers in Sept because childminders cannot guarantee that funding can be used by them. I have asked Pacey to back this up too as they should be representing us and helping to sustain our businesses.

I think some LAs will only respond correctly if their is a possible financial penalty for not doing so. Somewhere down the line I would expect Pacey to start legal proceedings with any LA that tries to duck their duties.

So each email took about 15 mins. Can everyone help people like Simona and push the LAs, local associations and professional associations and DFE (they are next on my list!) to get this guidance implemented quickly and fully. They won't listen to one individual only all of us banging on. Pretty please?

Anni

Simona
23-07-2013, 06:07 PM
SUCCESS!!!
The DfE has responded and unfortunately for the LAs they have no right to impose conditions....no need for accreditation, belong to a network or have Level 3....yes we were right!!!...some conditions can be imposed on satisfactory providers but read below and you will see the reason why

This is the DfE reply:

''The guidance says that local authorities should fund places for three and four year olds at any provider judged ‘satisfactory’ ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted (assuming there is an eligible three or four year old at the provider).

The position is different for two year olds. ‘Good’ or ‘outstanding’ providers should be funded to deliver places if there is an eligible two year old taking up their place at that provider. However, places for two year olds should only be funded in ‘satisfactory’ providers if there are insufficient accessible places in ‘good’ and ‘outstanding’ providers.

There is nothing in the guidance which prevents local authorities funding places for three and four year olds if the provider chooses not to offer funded places for two year olds.

Local authorities should limit the conditions they place on ‘good’ and ‘outstanding’ providers to those set out in the guidance, that is, those which guard against the misappropriation of public funds, ensure that funded places are completely free of charge to parents, support flexible delivery of places, meet the needs of children with disabilities or special needs and keep children safe.

Although local authorities can place conditions on ‘satisfactory’ providers any conditions should be limited to those which address concerns raised by Ofsted at inspection, which will of course vary between providers.

Where the guidance talks about providers, this means childminders as much as it does group settings. There is no requirement that childminders must be accredited, be part of a network or be qualified to level 3 in order to receive funding. The decision whether to fund a provider should be based on the Ofsted inspection judgement as set out above.''(end)

This should clarify the matter once and for all, please ensure you can argue this with your LA
I was also asked to direct any further questions to someone who is the expert in the funding at the DfE...this email has been copied to her...not Truss but I did tweet to her too that we have trouble with our LAs!!!

If you still have problems keep posting...we have started this campaign we may as well continue fighting it until we get what is now a right for cms to do: deliver funding if we wish to do so!
If you are still to meet with your LA and get some waffle....quote the message above!

Thank you for ALL your contributions!

Pacey have retweeted my request for their support to cms but nothing more but I will take it further if we still meet barriers!

23-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks Simona - that's very useful. I have sent this to my list of organisations I am complaining to and have contacted the DFE about Northamptonshire too.

madredann
23-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Still not getting any answers from my LEA in Warwickshire could someone help me word an e-mail to them :( im not even sure that I have been speaking to the right people I rang Warwickshire County Council and asked them about it who put me through to someone who is going to pass my details on to an advisor. Maybe I should of got in touch with the Family Information Service who seem to have information of the providers that provide NEF?

Simona
23-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Still not getting any answers from my LEA in Warwickshire could someone help me word an e-mail to them :( im not even sure that I have been speaking to the right people I rang Warwickshire County Council and asked them about it who put me through to someone who is going to pass my details on to an advisor. Maybe I should of got in touch with the Family Information Service who seem to have information of the providers that provide NEF?

It is the EY dept you need to approach
What better words do you need than those from the DfE email?

If you want write to the DfE itself ..the more letters they get the better on this subject...their email is
ministers@education.gsi.gov.uk
put c/o Funding dept..it will get there

AgentTink
23-07-2013, 07:54 PM

I have just had a look on your LA's websire, and i think it is this FIS you need to contact if you dont have a early years team.

Here is a copy of the email i sent to mine if you would like to have a read and use as you wish

Dear xx

I hope you don't mind me emailing you direct, however I have a few questions/concerns in regards to proposals that have been made in the last day or so in regards to Early Years and Childcare, and I thought it best to direct them straight to yourself.

I am a childminder who is currently going through the accreditation process.

After reading and digesting More Affordable Childcare and the document Early Education and Childcare - Statutory Guidance for Local Authorities, I now have some questions/concerns that i was wondering if you would be able to answer for me, or be able to take away and ask the questions to the relevant people.

1) More Affordable Childcare states 'All good and outstanding childminders and nurseries will automatically be eligible to receive government early education funding from September', and Early Education and Childcare - Statutory Guidance for Local Authority says "A3.2 Base their decision whether to fund a provider to deliver early education places solely on the provider’s Ofsted inspection judgement, and not undertake a separate assessment of the quality of the provider." Does this mean that I no longer need to complete the accreditation process? Can you confirm that i will be able to offer the 2 year old funding from September 2013, without the need to inspected by Sefton?

2) Will you be organising any sort of briefing/newsletter detailing what the changes in More Affordable Childcare will mean to childminders and Early Years Team? How soon will this be, as there is now only 6/7 weeks until September? Will there be any briefing on how to claim the funded hours/what paperwork may be required and how the system works?

3) How will the local Health Visitor Teams/Family Services know that I can offer these places and have spaces available? Will there be a central database that I can access to make sure my details are accurate and up-to-date?

4) I am aware that there is funding available for resources for this 2 year old proposition, so am I now able to send in my application form, because if these changes happen from September 2013, I will be offering spaces?

5) Going forward how do you envisage childminders being supported with training and guidance, since the above documents both talk about the fact that the LA can no longer set as a requirement that outstanding or good providers attend training, and that most of the early years resources should be directed to satisfactory/requirements improvement settings?

I am sorry for so many questions, however I am sure you can appreciate, with such short timescales being proposed for all of this to be implemented, I am worried that as a childminder/lone worker I may be left out of the loop, and I wanted to make sure that childminders are not forgotten in the rush of the proposals being discussed with the health visitor teams/Family service.

madredann
23-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Thank you I have just e-mailed FIS and will be following it up with a phone call in the morning x

catlyn
23-07-2013, 09:44 PM
County Durham are brilliant,..we have had briefing sessions to tell us all about the new 2 year old funding and our EY team are very keen for childminders to provide the places for these children....there will be a shortage of spaces in our area so all childminders with a good or above have been invited to apply..we were all given posters and info sheets to hand to parents and display in our windows...cant fault them really ...well done

Simona
24-07-2013, 06:39 AM
County Durham are brilliant,..we have had briefing sessions to tell us all about the new 2 year old funding and our EY team are very keen for childminders to provide the places for these children....there will be a shortage of spaces in our area so all childminders with a good or above have been invited to apply..we were all given posters and info sheets to hand to parents and display in our windows...cant fault them really ...well done

Catlyn....good to hear that!!!
This is what ALL LAs should be doing: be keen for all cms to be included and your example is proof that other LAs are being 'difficult' and reluctant to be told what to do...saying they have heard nothing or needed further guidance was purely a delaying tactic and, frankly, not a very professional approach

Getting ALL cms to be included in this is only the first step in this campaign...there is much more to do when it comes to LAs...lets deal with this first though.

We seem to be asking it is important that LAs stay to support cms in future...that is what they should have done in the first place for many many years ...instead they have been a law unto themselves, creaming off money from their funding and paying a pittance for the Free Entitlement

This is our chance to put things right!!!

Where is that Bunyip???? Are you still going to march towards that 'accrediattion'???
Hope this has been of help to you!!

babs
24-07-2013, 07:11 AM
We had a partnership meeting last week and all good and outstanding cm's were given a pack on 2 yr old funding they then said information was been sent out in post to those below how to apply..

Simona
24-07-2013, 07:13 AM
We had a partnership meeting last week and all good and outstanding cm's were given a pack on 2 yr old funding they then said information was been sent out in post to those below how to apply..

What about the funding for 3 and 4 year olds..are you included in this too?

babs
24-07-2013, 08:32 AM
What about the funding for 3 and 4 year olds..are you included in this too?

yes I already do funding for 3 - 4 yr olds..

ill be honest not even picked my pack up I got it Tuesday, had practice for exam Wednesday , exam Thursday busy Friday and weekend and ive been on holiday this week so not touched anything to do with work. I do have 2 interested in places for 2 yr olds mid starting September. don't think ill get a lot as school 2 minutes walk away is taking on 2 yr olds too..

Simona
24-07-2013, 09:40 AM
We need to clarify that the 2 year olds we are talking about are the ones from vulnerable families who will get the 15 hrs funding...130,000 this Sept and another 130,000 Sept 2014

All other 2 year olds will be paying the usual cms fees as they are not entitled to state funding or any free education at present!!

babs
24-07-2013, 09:46 AM
yes these children fit the criteria for funding if this question was to me..
We need to clarify that the 2 year olds we are talking about are the ones from vulnerable families who will get the 15 hrs funding...130,000 this Sept and another 130,000 Sept 2014

All other 2 year olds will be paying the usual cms fees as they are not entitled to state funding or any free education at present!!

madredann
24-07-2013, 11:10 AM
2 year old funding is based on benefits and social security payments was what I was told this morning also my LEA is waiting for confirmation on what the changes mean in our area and that we would still need something in place like a business plan to show that funding is sustainable x

24-07-2013, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't say that having to provide a business plan complies with

"A4.9
Limit the conditions they place on providers who been rated as ‘good’ or
‘outstanding’ to deliver funded places to those related to ensuring:

funded places are entirely free of charge to parents;

places
are offered flexibly to meet the needs of parents;

the proper use of public funds;

providers meet the needs of disabled children or those with a special
educational need; and

providers are keeping children safe"

I would challenge as I think some LAs have a strange need to make extra work for childminders...or will staff lose jobs if there is no one needed to trawl through all this paperwork.

Anacrusis
24-07-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm also in Northants & have been told I'd need a level 3 qualification and to join a network.

Simona, from your post below it seems that they can't impose these conditions, unless they "guard against the misappropriation of public funds, ensure that funded places are completely free of charge to parents, support flexible delivery of places, meet the needs of children with disabilities or special needs and keep children safe."

So... can the LA say that these conditions are keeping the children safe?

To be honest I wont be providing funded places if these conditions continue to be imposed as I'm not overly keen on taking a pay cut so I don't want to have to give up time to studying & networks as well.

Simona
24-07-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm also in Northants & have been told I'd need a level 3 qualification and to join a network.

Simona, from your post below it seems that they can't impose these conditions, unless they "guard against the misappropriation of public funds, ensure that funded places are completely free of charge to parents, support flexible delivery of places, meet the needs of children with disabilities or special needs and keep children safe."

So... can the LA say that these conditions are keeping the children safe?

To be honest I wont be providing funded places if these conditions continue to be imposed as I'm not overly keen on taking a pay cut so I don't want to have to give up time to studying & networks as well.

The reply below is in quotation marks and exactly what the DfE has explained...in my interpretation it has nothing to do with keeping children safe, that applies to condition that can be imposed on providers who may have had a safeguarding issue
Misappropriation of funds must refer to getting funding for children in your setting and telling the LA when they leave so they stop funding you?
not sure but LAs have good monitoring systems in place (rather ironinc this when for years they have been allowed to 'cream off' part of govt central funding!!!)

You do not need a Level 3 or to join a network or be accredited...feel free to copy parts of the email and tell them it is a reply to a cm who raised questions

As said any more concerns can be sent to the DfE expert mentioned in my email...so please report them

Do go back and see what they say...also feel free to email the DfE on this...email below!

Simona
04-08-2013, 12:07 PM
I have good news...my LAs has sent cms a message explaining how to draw the funding in future etc etc and also that parents would contact us directly
Good/o's are included now.

I wondered how parents could contact me as I am not on the register of providers?...only Accredited network cms are on that list
so this morning I looked and ...my name is there now

Well if my La can comply I am sure all others will have to follow...they are rewriting their local conditions so until I see none in my way I can't sing victory
If any conditions are imposed then I'm out

keep trying with your LA and report any problems...I won't stop fighting just because it looks like I am in...all cms who want to draw funding need to be included

Next step now is getting the funding increased...we can't survive at £3.50 in my area when children get to 3!

adedwards68
04-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Where abouts in the country are you?

Simona
04-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Twickenham =Richmond upon Thames

adedwards68
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Ok thanks hopefully will get something from my LA

Bluebell
04-08-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm Devon County Council.

I'm in the process of applying for funding at the moment for september but its been implied I've left it too late as it can take up to a term to process. I've had my safeguarding policies checked, my qualifications checked (level 3 or above)and proof that I have been working continuously for children for over a certain amount of time.

I've had to resubmit my safeguarding policy because it did not have the signs and symptoms of abuse in it - as the booklet I received on my training was several pages long on this I've now done this as an appendix with it all listed.
I also hadn't submitted my mobile phone policy or my allegations of abuse policy as i wasn't asked to but they seemed to assume this would be part of my safeguarding.
I will be interested to what they say about my mobile phone policy because as i understand it is a requirement to make clear what your usage of mobile phone is not any particular reference to what it should say. I chose not to use their model policy that was going on about no mobile phones and confiscating phones off visitors and having a designated mobile phone area - mine basically said I work on my own so it would be pointless to confiscate a mobile phone of myself and I use my mobile for photos to share with the parents and that i have it with me at all times in case of emergency or in case a parent needs to get hold of me. Its very clear what my policy is!

After I have had all this done I then have to have a FECCERS or ECCERS audit by my local development worker.

Anyway I'm rambling on now but I am wondering why I've been made to jump through all these hoops when as a 'Good' childminder I should be able to provide it anyway.

Simona
04-08-2013, 07:46 PM
It appears you have had to jump through the usual LA's hoops
Make sure your Safeguarding policy is up to date...important for your inspection... but apart from that your LA is insisting on conditions that don't apply ...your grade is Good and that is all that matters.

Argue with your LA and quote the new Statutory Guidance...feedback to us

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/e/la%20role%20statutory%20guidance%20final.pdf

Also quote Truss' letter to them about funding

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211313/080713_-_Letter_from_Elizabeth_Truss_MP_to_leaders_of_loca l_authorities.pdf

Good luck ...we are still fighting this and you are not alone

Bluebell
04-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Thank you!

AgentTink
05-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Well i have not such good news from here in Sefton.

i sent a second email yesterday to my Early Years Team, to say it had been 2 weeks since i last heard from them and that i was looking for a update as other LA had started to come forward and brief their CM's that they could now access the funding.

I had a responce today saying that they had been awaiting a responce from the DfE, which they had received late on Friday and i quote "From the DfE response; it is clear that they are certainly moving towards all childminders with a good or outstanding Ofsted inspection being able to take funded children, saying Local Authorities should fund them. However, the question for Sefton is whether we wait for this to become law."

I was advised that this would be discussed in a meeting on the 10th September and a responce would be available sometime after that.

So no chance of me being able to offer any funding in the next 3 months.

Simona feel free to use this information with your person at DfE if you wish as a example of Local authorities still hanging around.

Simona
05-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Well i have not such good news from here in Sefton.

i sent a second email yesterday to my Early Years Team, to say it had been 2 weeks since i last heard from them and that i was looking for a update as other LA had started to come forward and brief their CM's that they could now access the funding.

I had a responce today saying that they had been awaiting a responce from the DfE, which they had received late on Friday and i quote "From the DfE response; it is clear that they are certainly moving towards all childminders with a good or outstanding Ofsted inspection being able to take funded children, saying Local Authorities should fund them. However, the question for Sefton is whether we wait for this to become law."

I was advised that this would be discussed in a meeting on the 10th September and a responce would be available sometime after that.

So no chance of me being able to offer any funding in the next 3 months.

Simona feel free to use this information with your person at DfE if you wish as a example of Local authorities still hanging around.

The new guidance becomes law 1st September...I doubt the DfE will change its mind on this!
Your LA is being 'difficult' to say the least and I am so sorry

I am gathering all your feedback and will certainly write once I get 100% guarantee I can do funding with 'no conditions' attached

Bluebell
08-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Well I e-mailed the lady I have been communicating with in the Early years entitlement funding department and sent a copy of the letter saying I was being awarded my certificate should they need it and by the way, why was i needing to do all this extra criteria because I had read the DfE document about only needing to be based on the ofsted. I sent her a link to the document.
No reply but yesterday (Wednesday) I received the documents to sign as I had been approved to provide funding.
Think it must have been sent Monday but no reply re the e-mail.
Anyway I have passed on the information to other local childminders re the funding and I think they are going to pursue it.I will also mention it to the DO and see what she says.

Simona
08-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Well I e-mailed the lady I have been communicating with in the Early years entitlement funding department and sent a copy of the letter saying I was being awarded my certificate should they need it and by the way, why was i needing to do all this extra criteria because I had read the DfE document about only needing to be based on the ofsted. I sent her a link to the document.
No reply but yesterday (Wednesday) I received the documents to sign as I had been approved to provide funding.
Think it must have been sent Monday but no reply re the e-mail.
Anyway I have passed on the information to other local childminders re the funding and I think they are going to pursue it.I will also mention it to the DO and see what she says.

Were your conditions removed?
yes some LAs will say you can draw funding but they may still impose conditions...let us know and thank you for your great feedback...together we will win but we need lots of you raising your concerns and speaking up

No one person can do it on our behalf..it has to be a collective effort

buildingblocks
08-08-2013, 12:11 PM
I have just become a funded childminder in our area. For the past year or so they have been recruiting cms. We have no network the criteria was
Level 3 qualification
Good or OS grade
Be working through the local authority quality assurance scheme.

You then have at least 6 months of regular visits from the DW setting you things to making sure you have the relevant train gins - I have had to take three days of work to do a full day CAF training and 2 day safeguarding - once you ave jumped through hoops it hen goes to panel for a decision. The new rules mean that my friend who has a degree in child something or other to the level hat is the highest so BA or MA not sure which will now be able to e liver it - she couldn't previously as she wasn't doing steps to quality

Simons have pm you

madredann
08-08-2013, 12:27 PM
co-ordinator came out today and I do not have to do the accreditation the criteria is outstanding/good that is all I do not have to join the network but if I wanted to I would have to have a level 3 qualification (im not sure if my Certificate in Early Years Practice with the OU is sufficient?)so I think I will join it anyway as I need the support and up-to-date info that they will provide. I can access funding for 2,3 and 4 year olds as soon as my details are added to the FIS site and I have signed an agreement.

AgentTink
08-08-2013, 02:42 PM
co-ordinator came out today and I do not have to do the accreditation the criteria is outstanding/good that is all I do not have to join the network but if I wanted to I would have to have a level 3 qualification (im not sure if my Certificate in Early Years Practice with the OU is sufficient?)so I think I will join it anyway as I need the support and up-to-date info that they will provide. I can access funding for 2,3 and 4 year olds as soon as my details are added to the FIS site and I have signed an agreement.

madredann that is great news, would you be able to let me know which LA you are with as i am currently compliling a list of LA who are offering the funding based on the new guidance to strengthen my case with my LA who are digging their heels at the moment. If you prefer not to mention on here could you PM?? Thanks

Bluebell
09-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Were your conditions removed?
yes some LAs will say you can draw funding but they may still impose conditions...let us know and thank you for your great feedback...together we will win but we need lots of you raising your concerns and speaking up

No one person can do it on our behalf..it has to be a collective effort

No conditions not removed - I had supplied all the information/proof they required.
I also spoke to my DO today and she said she has already received the request to come and do the FECCERs audit on me and she has 2 months to do it.
I have signed up for the level 3 safeguarding I am required to do and am also required to make clear my settings policy in a 'charging policy' to explain what sessions i offer and how i charged outside of funded sessions and that kind of thing.
I have returned the signed paperwork to say I agree to their conditions of funding - things like doing the safeguarding level 3 and providing proof of DOB for the child and agreeing not claim for hours children are not doing. All seems pretty reasonable stuff.

madredann - certificate in early years is level 4 isn't it? so should be more than suffiecient.

Simona
09-08-2013, 08:43 PM
No conditions not removed - I had supplied all the information/proof they required.
I also spoke to my DO today and she said she has already received the request to come and do the FECCERs audit on me and she has 2 months to do it.
I have signed up for the level 3 safeguarding I am required to do and am also required to make clear my settings policy in a 'charging policy' to explain what sessions i offer and how i charged outside of funded sessions and that kind of thing.
I have returned the signed paperwork to say I agree to their conditions of funding - things like doing the safeguarding level 3 and providing proof of DOB for the child and agreeing not claim for hours children are not doing. All seems pretty reasonable stuff.

madredann - certificate in early years is level 4 isn't it? so should be more than suffiecient.

Bluelion...take a look at the thread started by Chatterbox on this...more info there and info on email sent to DfE

This whole saga is beginning to resemble a circus...that is where there are lots of hoops clowns have to jump through to make people laugh...except here no one is laughing!

hectors house
10-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Have just phoned my LA - I had forms back in January just as MGC :censored: hit the fan, so didn't fill them in - they are having a meeting on Wednesday about funding issues and will send me out a new form after the meeting, so will wait to see if it is any easier than the last one!

Have just received my pack - it is exactly the same as the one I had in January and the covering letter still says "to qualify, you will need to have a minimum of a level 3 in Childcare and Development and your last Ofsted inspection outcome must be good or outstanding"

I do qualify as have got Good inspection and a level 3 - but I thought they couldn't specify the level 3 qualification now - shall I ring them (Somerset county Council) Monday and tell them this?:angry:

Simona
10-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Have just received my pack - it is exactly the same as the one I had in January and the covering letter still says "to qualify, you will need to have a minimum of a level 3 in Childcare and Development and your last Ofsted inspection outcome must be good or outstanding"

I do qualify as have got Good inspection and a level 3 - but I thought they couldn't specify the level 3 qualification now - shall I ring them (Somerset county Council) Monday and tell them this?:angry:

Go to the thread 2, 3 and 4yo funding started by Chatterbox in this section...there you will find the email from the DfE which I posted yesterday

It is very clear in it that Level 3 is not required...i

hectors house
10-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Go to the thread 2, 3 and 4yo funding started by Chatterbox in this section...there you will find the email from the DfE which I posted yesterday

It is very clear in it that Level 3 is not required...i

Thank you Simona - I have already burned my boats probably by e-mailing them big chunks of that post - I said "I understand your department had a meeting about the new guidelines surrounding Early Years Entitlement last week and I fully expected to receive a pack that had been updated to reflect these changes.

Please reply as soon as possible as I would like to include your answers in my letters to Ms Truss, Nick Clegg, Ofsted and my local MP, who I am writing to to argue against the formation of Agencies and I also wish to feedback information to our newly formed "Independent childminding network". :D

Not sure I even want to do the funding now but I will do my best to make sure the local authorities play by the rules for others and start to realise that we do actually know what the rules are!

hectors house
12-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Had a reply from Somerset County council

"You are correct in your observations and quotes from the most recent guidance documents; this comes into place from September 2013 so our information will not be completely updated until this comes into force. Providers will be able to apply to go on to our directory based upon their Ofsted outcome and our Code Of Practice consultation will be out shortly on line. The guidance only states ‘should’ and not ‘must’ as it is not yet legislation.

You are correct in your observation that there is no specific mention of childminders in the guidance that comes into force in September 2013 and we are also taking providers to mean all providers including childminders. We have been awaiting clarification around whether a childminder would be required to have a level 3. We have no hesitation around providers (including childminders) that have good and outstanding, however we are concerned about providers who have received a satisfactory and are not secure in their knowledge of the EYFS. I have calls in with both the DfE and with Ofsted. It has also been a regional topic at LA meetings. What we do not want to do is remove the requirement only to find later that it is reintroduced and we will then have to cease funding satisfactory childminders or group settings which will cause disruption to children and parents. As you are aware it is a requirement for group settings that a percentage of staff are qualified. Once clarification has been received then we will be happy to amend in line with regulations.

There is conflicting guidance we feel because all research points to the importance of the quality of the leadership and qualifications on children’s attainment and readiness for school. The judgement ‘Satisfactory’ will be replaced with ‘Required to Improve’ and this raises questions- If a child receives their full entitlement in a provision that is only satisfactory (Required to improve) are they getting the best possible start? We would welcome your input and discussion around this at your Independent Childcare Network meeting. We are wanting the best possible start for children and their families.

The application pack has been amended to take out the requirement for an Early Years Adviser to complete an assessment of the setting before the setting is registered and so has changed.

Please complete the application that you were sent and once verification has been made of your Ofsted certificate and grade you will be entered on to our directory."

Wow so looks like I only have to complete the 6 page form which is mostly name, address, opening hours, fees, capacity (and lots of it applies to Nurseries so I don't have to complete eg: staff) send them my fees policy, my prospectus which needs to include reference to EYFS (so hoping my simple info leaflet that I give parents after they visit will do), copy of Ofsted reg certificate and copy of level 3 certificate (which you and I know they shouldn't be asking for - but aparently they are still awaiting clarification!) and if I am approved then I go on the directory of providers!

Simona
12-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Show your LA this article....hope the message is clear now

Exclusive: The Minister's View - Shaping more affordable childcare | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1194592/exclusive-ministers-view---shaping-affordable-childcare?DCMP=EMC-CONNurseryWorldUpdate&bulletin=nursery-world-update-bulletin)

I do agree that those who are satisfactory should not be funded but at the moment 'satisfactory' does not mean 'requires improvement' ..it means they are meeting the standards satisfactorily

Good luck and keep us posted

Bluebell
15-08-2013, 08:02 PM
As I mentioned previously I passed on this information to other local childminders - one of them contacted our local Noel Quinn development worker and my friend said that the development worker basically said, 'it's been talked about but nothing official yet.'

How official does it need to be?!

Simona
15-08-2013, 08:57 PM
As I mentioned previously I passed on this information to other local childminders - one of them contacted our local Noel Quinn development worker and my friend said that the development worker basically said, 'it's been talked about but nothing official yet.'

How official does it need to be?!

How strange that when it comes to the EYFS ALL LAs understand the meaning of 'statutory framework'...in other words 'LEGAL'
More worrying is why the Statutory Guidance to the LAs regarding funding somehow takes a different meaning to them...
Very selective indeed!...
we need a Plan B...this cannot go on, the only suggestion I can offer is that if you are keen to access the funding the only way is to address your concerns directly to the DfE ..email your opinions to ministers@education.gsi.gov.uk