PDA

View Full Version : EYFS - not all that bad?????

zoe compton
09-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi - please help!?! I'm a newly registered childminder and I attended an EYFS introduction course on Monday night. I have heard loads of bad things about EYFS to say the least - childminders giving up because it's too much and other childminders moaning they are spending all evening and weekend doing paperwork....however....the tutor on the cousre (NCMA) quite clearly told us there is NO PAPERWORK....that HAS to be done!?!?!?!

Apparently as long as you "plan" your week eg going to toddlers and then lunch then play in garden....BUT allow flexibility in your plan to be child led....then your meeting the EYFS requirements?!?!

I do a daily diary..what they did...food ..nappy change etc..and she said this would cover what i needed to do....as long as i also keep any craft work and take pics to show what work we've done or outing's we've been on.

BUT...what about everything i've heard? She said nothing that you have to link obs back to the EYFS which I have heard you are supposed to do....

Now while I'm over the moon that it's not all the work i've heard of....i am now panicking that we have not been taught right and when my second inspection comes the ofsted inspector will blow a fuse that i've not been doing the EYFS correctly....please help as getting even more confused and worried!

Mrs M
09-07-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree with you that it doesn't seem as bad as you originally think once you've been on a course. My tutor was the same in that she said you don't HAVE to link all your obs back to the EYFS BUT she did say it's a good idea and of course Ofsted would love it. It's good practice for us to be doing that I think and also in the child's best interests as we can observe where they're thriving, where they may need more help etc.
I think that childminding has obviously changed and the childminders who are probably giving up are those with lots of children to care for who, in the past, haven't had to do written obs etc and they believe it was more about the child. However, for us newer childminders, I think it comes across as a good thing and I'd be happy if my child was in day care that he was receiving this kind of observation process.
Also, I think there's more that you can do if you so desire or keep it much more simple.

Pauline
09-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Forget 'observations' ..."Look, Listen and Note" seems to be the latest buz word.

Simply watch and listen to what the children are doing, both during play, at home time, during meals etc. then make notes on what you've seen and how you can then develop that child's interests further.

For instance, child A loves Thomas the Tank Engine but does not seem to like crayons or painting. You could note this and then plan to introduce colouring/painting Thomas the Tank Engine pictures to develop his interest in paint and crayons. This way you are extending the child's learning via his own interests.

By doing this on a regular basis you are building up a picture of that child, his interest, likes, dislikes and it helps you to plan and provide for the future.

You can easily link it back to EYFS through the 6 early learning goals.

PD - use of finger and hand control for the painting and crayoning
CLL - you talking to him about the colours and textures
CD - the creative nature of painting
PSE - personal and emotional development from making something for himself
PSR&N - how to get the paint onto the paper, the number of colours he has to choose from etc.
KUW - Age dependant you could talk about how paint is made, where it comes from, how some people draw in caves, on their bodies - the list is endless.

To me that is what EYFS is all about. :) But I could be wrong :rolleyes:

sarah707
09-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I am concerned that some trainers appear to be over-simplifying the eyfs.

No, it's not complicated, it's quite simple in it's aims ...

No, it does not tell you how to do anything...

It does, however, tell you what the end result must be and it is down to you to prove you are meeting the requirements.

While there is an element of truth in the child-led play theory and that is certainly true for under 3s, you have to consider how you can prove to an Ofsted inspector that you are using eyfs effectively for all children and how you are linking in with what the child is doing at home and at other settings.

You are not going to be able to do that if you do not show planning and observations (look, listen and note as Pauline says).

Have a look at the examples provided by dcfs themselves, to the right of here, for lots of ideas - not exactly a 'no paperwork' approach!

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/3/1.htm

babyandchild
09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks Sarah, was begining to think I had been planning and observing for nothing!

Pauline
09-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I think the problem lies in that some minders think that they have to do loads of detailed observations, like the ones we did during NVQ's or other course work with clipboards and stopwatches and this is making them panic. Small ongoing observations should meet the needs for EYFS.

sarah707
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I think the problem lies in that some minders think that they have to do loads of detailed observations, like the ones we did during NVQ's or other course work with clipboards and stopwatches and this is making them panic. Small ongoing observations should meet the needs for EYFS.

Absolutely! :D

zoe compton
11-07-2008, 08:48 AM
sorry have not replied sooner...thank you so much for your help..it really is good to know there are experienced friendly people out there to help! makes it a little less daunting x