PDA

View Full Version : Having digs

jadavi
21-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Feeling sad because a valued dad was having digs today about my holidays etc and how I can afford them... He was trying to do it in a funny way (at a party) but he was clearly having a dig at our salaries :(

FussyElmo
21-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Feeling sad because a valued dad was having digs today about my holidays etc and how I can afford them... He was trying to do it in a funny way (at a party) but he was clearly having a dig at our salaries :(

I hope you smiled sweetly and told him about the next one you had planned :D

madredann
21-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Dont feel sad hun feel proud :) you work hard and manage your money well and you definately deserve a holiday! maybe put their fee up lol then you can have an extra holiday! xx

Mouse
21-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Sometimes I'd just wish they'd listen to themselves :rolleyes:

When we got a new car I had a parent comment that she must be paying me too much. I just laughed and said "ha, chance would be a fine thing"!

The problem is they look at what they pay, times it by the number of children they know we have & assume that's what we earn. They forget about the food we have to buy for their child, the insurance we have to pay for, the toys & equipment we buy.

Nicola Carlyle
21-07-2013, 08:24 PM
I laugh and say "well it's certainly not me who pays or can even contribute to holidays I'm afraid. Childminding is a poor paid profession. No it's either my husband who pays or my parents who see just how hard I work and think we need some well deserved family time." It soon makes them stop and move on! But honestly-it's none of their damn well business. X

yummyripples
21-07-2013, 08:39 PM
I love it. I have a parent who is peed off that I moved to a detached house, got a brand new 7 seater car, take 3 weeks off to go abroad every summer and am going to Disneyland paris at half term.
I wind her up as much as I possibly can but only because she is always trying to make me jealous about what she has. All her family have superdry coats and designer clothes. My family have practical affordable stuff. Probably why I can afford what I've got and she can't :)

Stapleton83
21-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Just ignore him at the end of the day he probably spends his money on other things!

Sam x

ktdg85
21-07-2013, 09:23 PM
I am looking at leasing a new car and was thinking the other day 'what would the parents think?' when realistically I can't afford it but feel that it would be better for the children rather than the rotating of car seats and booster seats depending on the day of the week. It's horrible to think that way but unfortunately its hard not to. We work hard for what we get but it doesn't make it any easier!! :-(

Enjoy your holiday though, you deserve it!!

*daisychain*
21-07-2013, 10:14 PM
I know the feeling , I had a parent comment "oh I might become a childminder if you can afford a new sofa" this is from a parent of a child who has all designer footwear and they have a shiny new car, I found myself explaining how its interest free credit etc !! Need to learn to let it go over my head a smile :)

bindy
22-07-2013, 07:00 AM
It never mind what others think, including parents, but none have commented on money matters. I buy what I like without giving it a second thought. One parent did say to me, she had seen a house which she thought would be suited to my needs, £2500 a month rent. Jesus how much does she think I earn!!

lynncjt
22-07-2013, 07:24 AM
I know the feeling... I'm driving a 'V' reg car at the moment and saving like mad to try and get a newish car and thinking I may get a personalized number plate just so the parents don't know how old it is!

chriss
22-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Makes me mad !! What right do people have to comment on what we earn , is it because they think they pay to much ? Or because they pay the fees they have a right to comment how we spend it ? Would they ask the postman or lady in the shop ? Or the electrician or plumber they have just paid to do a job ?

I would not be explaining myself :angry:

jadavi
23-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Thanks

I will be ready for the next tine and say 'no this is from my mum's inheritance. My child minding supports my children at uni.' (True)
I know I should ignore it but it rankles....

The Juggler
23-07-2013, 01:17 PM
i would say "we can't really afford one, but we think its important to have one and save very very hard all year round, because we think we deserve one" :cool: