PDA

View Full Version : Help with resignation letter

sprinkles
21-07-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm trying to write my letter of resignation from my current job to start minding in August. My contract (that I don't actually have any more) says one week notice but I'm going to hand it in this week to finish on Friday 16th August. I want to put in a bit saying that I will work my notice and will leave on 16th but I may leave earlier than that if a parent needs me? But I will have worked my notice already.

How do I word that??

The Juggler
21-07-2013, 06:43 PM
i would go with:

"with regret I will no longer be childminding as I have had to take up a different job for personal reasons. Although our contractual notice period is 1 week, I am happy to continue to provide care until 16th August to give you more time to find alternative care. Please let me know if you would like me to do so.

I am also happy to help with some suggestions for alternative care arrangements.

It has been a pleasure working with you etc, etc. "

does that help?

sprinkles
21-07-2013, 07:06 PM
It's very good but I'm leaving my office job to start minding...not leaving minding lol.

I think I'm going to put in that as per my contract I'm submitting my one week's notice but may be available to work until 16th August under the agreement that should I be required to start my new position before 16th August I would need to fulfil my commitments to my new position.

Bluebell
21-07-2013, 07:40 PM
I don't know where you work but be careful they don't take your 1 weeks notice and expect you to leave. I know someone this happened to she thought she was being polite giving extra notice but they asked her to leave after her formal notice period and she lost out.
I would start advertising for parents to start at the date convenient to you - f they need childcare they may be able to arrange when they go back to work or have family help out with care for an extra week to save you messing about not knowing where you are. the more you can get starting at a certain date the better you will be financially.
Plus if someone has been looking for childcare and not found what they have been looking for they might be really keen to find someone who has the spaces available they need.
good luck handing in your notice and with your childminding

sprinkles
21-07-2013, 08:04 PM
I don't know where you work but be careful they don't take your 1 weeks notice and expect you to leave. I know someone this happened to she thought she was being polite giving extra notice but they asked her to leave after her formal notice period and she lost out.
I would start advertising for parents to start at the date convenient to you - f they need childcare they may be able to arrange when they go back to work or have family help out with care for an extra week to save you messing about not knowing where you are. the more you can get starting at a certain date the better you will be financially.
Plus if someone has been looking for childcare and not found what they have been looking for they might be really keen to find someone who has the spaces available they need.
good luck handing in your notice and with your childminding

I have two children starting in August, one week apart. If they expect me to leave on Friday then that's fine - I get paid on Friday anyway so get my month's wage and then get paid again in 3 weeks when start minding.

As I said below, I am putting in that I'm available to work longer if needed. But I'm not fussed if they don't want me to.

The Juggler
22-07-2013, 01:03 PM
i would go with:

"with regret I will no longer be childminding as I have had to take up a different job for personal reasons. Although our contractual notice period is 1 week, I am happy to continue to provide care until 16th August to give you more time to find alternative care. Please let me know if you would like me to do so.

I am also happy to help with some suggestions for alternative care arrangements.

It has been a pleasure working with you etc, etc. "

does that help?

haha you can't tell I'd be in the sun all day can you (and had a few cheeky wines) As above then but with

"with regret I give notice. I'd be happy to continue until xxx if it will help you out."

as a tip though if you'd prefer to stay on until 16th August, for financial reasons I'd just hold off giving notice.

sprinkles
22-07-2013, 01:47 PM
haha you can't tell I'd be in the sun all day can you (and had a few cheeky wines) As above then but with

"with regret I give notice. I'd be happy to continue until xxx if it will help you out."

as a tip though if you'd prefer to stay on until 16th August, for financial reasons I'd just hold off giving notice.

Thank you! I handed it in this morning and MD was fine with it, asked me lots of questions about my business etc and basically said its up to me when I finish. I changed my letter to 9th August as I think I'm moving the playroom so need to decorate etc before inspector can come out to pass it off.

So I've got 3 weeks left!

The Juggler
22-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Thank you! I handed it in this morning and MD was fine with it, asked me lots of questions about my business etc and basically said its up to me when I finish. I changed my letter to 9th August as I think I'm moving the playroom so need to decorate etc before inspector can come out to pass it off.

So I've got 3 weeks left!

good luck with it all hon.:thumbsup:

bunyip
22-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Hope it all goes well.

If they start that thing where everything that goes wrong in the office gets blamed on the person who's leaving, well you know to come here for tea and sympathy ;)

...........actually, with the members we've got, it'll be more like "hard spirits and sympathy." :D

sprinkles
22-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Hope it all goes well.

If they start that thing where everything that goes wrong in the office gets blamed on the person who's leaving, well you know to come here for tea and sympathy ;)

...........actually, with the members we've got, it'll be more like "hard spirits and sympathy." :D

Haha everything that goes wrong is my colleague's fault and they all know it :D

I may just come for hard spirits and sympathy anyway ;)