PDA

View Full Version : BBC Article

SammySplodger
21-07-2013, 02:41 PM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23374561

See comment about 'basic Childminding' just over half way down.
:-(

Have complained! There is a link at the bottom to contact.

Really could do without us being attacked and misunderstood left right and centre.

Mrsh3103
21-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Basic childminding???? That's made me really angry. I will complain later too.

sarahmc
21-07-2013, 03:17 PM
I've complained. It's not on.

Helen79
21-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I don't see the problem with what they've written. They've quoted a teacher who isn't comparing their jobs to ours or saying that they are being childminders or calling all childminders 'basic', they're saying that they're unable to teach in the heat and are basically just watching/minding the children who are sat at their desks not able to do any work. The teacher hasn't said that this is what childminders do all day, not sure where the attack is :confused:

Simona
21-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Personally as a 'basic cm' I have picked up kids from school this week who were hot, one even had a woolly cardigan on and the teacher laughed when I asked her why was she allowed to put it on?

the classroom was like a sauna and some children had not even had a sip of water from their water bottle the whole day..another had an African day so you can imagine the poor kid in a heavy costume??

In the meantime my playroom is air conditioned and I have fans everywhere...I wouldn't call that basic childminding and I certainly do not call those classrooms 'enabling environments'...I despair!

Minstrel
21-07-2013, 04:33 PM
I think you've all read it wrong and taken it out of context. They are not referring to what we do whatsoever, simply remarking that it is too hot to do much beyond watching over them (childcare basically) for want of a better phrase.

amylouise867
21-07-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't see the problem with what they've written. They've quoted a teacher who isn't comparing their jobs to ours or saying that they are being childminders or calling all childminders 'basic', they're saying that they're unable to teach in the heat and are basically just watching/minding the children who are sat at their desks not able to do any work. The teacher hasn't said that this is what childminders do all day, not sure where the attack is :confused:

I'm with you Helen.

They aren't saying that all child minders provide basic care.

They are just simply saying that the heat has been far too much for them to teach the children as they would normally and instead they are just literally watching the children in school and not able to do much with them - so therefore are doing basic child minding.

Again though it shows how dangerous text can be - because there is no tone and facial expression -people read things differently and make different conclusions as a result.

:) x

SammySplodger
21-07-2013, 05:19 PM
The words she should have used was Childcare not Childminding.

Poor choice of words which unfortunately backs up a commonly held misconception about Childminders :-(

FussyElmo
21-07-2013, 05:26 PM
We also don't know if the teacher was quoted out of context.

Yes it was a poor choice of words but not one that IMO was done to insult us in anyway :D

SammySplodger
21-07-2013, 05:29 PM
We also don't know if the teacher was quoted out of context.

Yes it was a poor choice of words but not one that IMO was done to insult us in anyway :D

Yes - but what about those who read it, who don't understand what we do? It doesn't do us any favours...