PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please

Miss Punts
21-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi, I am currently working as a part time learning support teacher. The child I supported at school has now left school and will start college in Sept as she is 16.

She has several disabilities and requires full time care. Her Mum has asked if I would be a Personal Assistant for her when needed. As I'm a single parent of 3 and

am looking to supplement my income it would be a perfect solution for us all.

My problem is that I don't know if we can as I'm not a registered child-minder or if I have to be as she is 16. I am aware that funding would be available via social

services if she was 18 ( adults receive Direct Payments for carers) I don't want to do anything until I'm fully aware of all the regulations.

Does anyone have any advice or know where I can get any from?

Thanks in advance

munch149
21-07-2013, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't think you would be a registered as a childminder as she is 16 for one and for two you would be supporting her in we daily life so chances are very little of this would be done outside of your home. A crb might be advisable but I'm assuming you would already have this and possibly first aid too. Can't offer any further help I'm afraid

munch149
21-07-2013, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE="munch149;1279082"]I wouldn't think you would be a registered as a childminder as she is 16 for one and for two you would be supporting her in we daily life so chances are very little of this would be done

madredann
21-07-2013, 02:16 PM
If you look on your local council website you may find other jobs for PA I came across a couple when looking through jobs the only thing you need is a CRB (DBS) that I can see x Good Luck xx

amylouise867
21-07-2013, 02:49 PM
I went to a childminding briefing recently & there was a lady there who is supporting/working for a local government incentive they are looking to implement soon -

Offering rest bite care for parents who have children with special needs.

This will be during evenings & weekends.

I'm not sure if this is something you can look at as she is 16.

I would look at contacting your LA and explain the situation - they will advise you from there!

Good luck :) hope it all works out ok for you all!

Amy :) x

Bluebell
21-07-2013, 04:49 PM
it might even be worth contacting the college because she may be eligible for funding through the college for a support assistant. they will be able to give you more information if this is the case.
best wishes x

Miss Punts
22-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks so much for all replies. I have a CRB and am up to date with my first aid training. My local council seems the best place to start.

She will qualify for Direct Payments. Her mum has to sort all that out as I will be employed by her as a PA for her daughter. I just need to make sure its all

above board to protect myself and make sure I pay tax and NI etc. She will have support in place at college. Her mum wants me to care for her on her day off

from college.