View Full Version : Assistant

20-07-2013, 10:48 PM
I know being a childminder I should be able to answer this myself but can anyone tell me? should my partner who is my assistant want to become a childminder in his own right what further measures must he take? he already has his first aid and crb!

20-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Hi , in Wales your partner would have to register and do everything that u had to do ie own policies , inspection etc , hope this is of help .

21-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Yes, its the same in England, He would need to register have his own set of documents, insurance, registration etc.... the same as you.
We looked in to it for my partner and concluded we would just be doubling paperwork, inspections, overheads like registration fee, insurance etc... and we would still be staying the 'same' so we concluded it wasn't a move forward for us to have both of us registered.
Plus he wouldn't get the start up grant either (only one start up grant per property - so we were told) - so it was a lot of hard work, time and expense for nothing.

Good luck in your venture.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-07-2013, 11:09 AM
My DH registered a couple of years ago and you need to:

Complete the course
Obtain Health Declaration from Doctors
First Aid
Complete EY2

You don't need separate documentation, just change yours to we instead of I and your details at the bottom if you have them
Purchase Insurance
Register with HMRC as a Partnership (I would advise doing this starting the first day of you tax year of you need to finish your accounts and start as a partnership part why through the year - nightmare!)
Change contracts with parents if necessary

Pros: You can leave the children with him at anytime
No 2 hour time restriction per day on his own with children
You don't have to keep registers of when he is working and with whom
No management work to be done by you - training/assessments/reviews

Cons: Double payment of Insurance and Ofsted Fees
Partnership return has to be submitted as well as individual returns (this doesn't take long)

I would say go for it if he is going to work with you full time.

22-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Thank you for all your advice everyone, its much appreciated. :-)