PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a dog but not kept seperate?

aly
09-07-2008, 01:00 PM
We have a lurcher {gentle mannered} and he sleeps/ stays on his mat in the living room all day - unless int he garden..

Is it ok to leave him there? I wont of course leave him alone with the children but if I'm in the living room also is there a need to turf him out? [there is nowhere for him to go really]

Would this be ok?

tia

foxy lady
09-07-2008, 01:04 PM
yes i have 2 dogs
its ok to have dogs inside]just need a well written and thought out pet policy and the parents to be ok with dogs in the house,
when ofsted come they will want to see the dogs is friendly and good hygene ie wasning hands ect
hope this helps
oh yes and all dog bowls are our of reach of the children

Mrs.L.C
09-07-2008, 01:05 PM
I dont have a dog but sometimes look after my dads and theres never been a problem her being in the rooms with the children and Ofsted have been aware of this. All they ask is are they up todate with vacines, defleaing and worming

Jinx
09-07-2008, 01:07 PM
I have a large German Shepherd cross and he just ambles about the house amongst the kids with no problems. As long as he is never alone with the children then there isn't a problem. :thumbsup:

Jinx x

aly
09-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Lovely, thanks both..

I'm not registering th e kitchen and thats where his bowls will be. he is also up todate with vaccs. etc so that should be ok.

i WILL DO A PET POLICY NOW

THANK YOU :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

oh those blooming caps sorry

Rubybubbles
09-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I would rather turf the kids out than my dog:laughing:

tulip0803
09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
I have a dog and he is not seperate. He is able to escape upstairs and part of the garden is being fenced for the children. When I minded before he had free roam but was never left alone wih children. I had to say how I ensure children's safety. Never leave them alone with him etc

lolatallulah
09-07-2008, 07:02 PM
I love this site.
I have just been put on the waiting list for a german shepard puppy - coming to me in September:clapping: but i have been stressing a bit about whether it's a sensible thing to do while i am so busy in my work.
It's reassuring to hear from other members with dogs and to find that it works out ok.
OMG i'm going to be on here all night again :laughing:

fishbones1
09-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I have a german shepherd and she is so relaxed with the children but I will be keeping her seperate most of the time as I feel she would prefer this. I also had a family come and visit who are a bit apprehensive about her even after meeting her! I can't seem to reassure them enough that she will do no harm.

I just don't understand ho people don't like dogs. they didn't even seem scared when they saw her, just apprehensive about the baby!!!:(

LisaH
09-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I am hoping to get a dog soon ( to go with the rabbbit, gerbils, cats, goldfish and snake) and I would be quite happy for it to be around the children as long as i am there.

mustbemad
09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
I love lurchers! They are so laid back (unless they're working) aren't they? I have a 3 year old border terrorist and he's a right couch potato while i'm minding.

I'm sure he can count cos he waits til last parent has collected then gets up and starts following me around like a shadow til he gets his walk!:laughing:

He's got a kennel and run but the kids feel sorry for him and plead for me to let him out;). He just ignores them basically and blends into the background, but kids are never left alone with him.

Only ever had one parent who was uncertain about leavin her baby with me and I reassured her the best I could and told her that if she had serious reservations about dogs she ought to look elsewhere for childcare! She's still with me and is really relaxed about it now.

Feedback from Ofsted is providing vaccinations, worming, poop-scooping and feed bowls are in order, pets are beneficial to children... and even crawling babies can be educated about how to treat animals!;)

Wx